AP or AM+ANH2.5

I've had contact with vendors for both products, and after diving in the forums some more I am at a total loss... I've emailed my local garrision, and one of them replied back that the AM kit would be the easier to assemble in the long run, and was also his personal preference. I know I am not allowed to post prices, but the two options listed in the topic title are within comfort zone. I could thus go for either, but I'd need some solid pro and cons.

My measurements are right in the sweet spot when it comes to height, 5'11" and about 170 pounds. Some say I have relatively big calves at about 16 inches and thighs at 22, so that got me wondering if that makes one or the other a bit tight. My chest and waist are 38" and 34", upper arm a puny 12" and underarm about 11" so that's about stormtrooper skinny I reckon.

Help me FISD... you're my only... wait... that was corny... <_<

IMHO, If you can afford it, then there really is no comparison - AP.

I've heard great things about AM, but I doubt anyone would argue the accuracy of AP v AM. I'm 5'11" 210 lbs and have large thighs as well (27" tree trunks) and with some shimming it was no problem to make the AP kit work.

IMHO, If you can afford it, then there really is no comparison - AP.

I've heard great things about AM, but I doubt anyone would argue the accuracy of AP v AM. I'm 5'11" 210 lbs and have large thighs as well (27" tree trunks) and with some shimming it was no problem to make the AP kit work.

Either one will work for you its all down to personal preference. I did a lot of research and decided to go with AM due to the fact it comes pre-trimmed and is a bit easier to put together. AP looks great as well so really you just need to read up on what YOU want in the armor and go that way. You can't go wrong with either set.

I am now heavily leaning towards AP. I can even get their holster too, one less thing to worry about. Yes, I'll have to trim, and the build will take longer, but Halloween 2010 is not the goal. The goal is becoming one of the 501st, and maybe get EIB while I am at it. But with it being my first build I am not really going for that one right off the bat.

Both vendors have said that right now is their busy season. Does anyone actually think that one could whip together an armor like that in under a month, with having a fulltime job? There are some brave souls out there. Unless the buyers are all vets building for others... I suppose it would be possible...

I am sleeping on it... tomorrow I'll check the forum, and inform the suppliers what I am going with. Thanks for all the help!

Hey Cornelis,

First let me say, between the two, if you have the money go with the AP. I think you will be happier with the end results, especially since your long term goal is to be part of the 501st and with an EIB.

Anything is possible if you set your mind to it. I have seen guys on here put their armor together within a week or two. But, they were also old hands at assembly. I would not rush the job just to be able to go "trick or treating". But you have already said Halloween 2010 is not your goal.

What I would suggest is whatever armor you do get, to find out if Star Garrison is having a armor building party. If they are not, find who is close to you from the garrison and see if they can give you some hands on pointers. And, don't forget we are all here for you too.

BTW, here is the Star Garrison link:http://www.501st.com/members/garrisonroster.php?garrisonId=21

You can count on me not rushing the build. I am actually thinking about taking the suit and build it up ROTJ style. In part because I still plan on doing a fanfilm set after that time. I know the bucket will be inaccurate, but its on the backburner anyway, as it has been for years...

I've sent AP my intentions to buy late last night, we are underway to become a TK!

You can count on me not rushing the build. I am actually thinking about taking the suit and build it up ROTJ style. In part because I still plan on doing a fanfilm set after that time. I know the bucket will be inaccurate, but its on the backburner anyway, as it has been for years...

I've sent AP my intentions to buy late last night, we are underway to become a TK!

Cornellis

If you need a ROTJ bucket I have one left that is cast from an original helmet $250 shipped.

I am going to worry about the fine details later, thanks for the offer though!

I am checking my email every chance I get, waiting is indeed the hardest part, and it starts even before you order the suit. I am thinking about scratch modding my hasbro blaster btw, its going to be interesting how it'll turn out.

I'm an AP owner, and can say it's a very nice piece of armor. I'm very happy with it. I build it ANH style, and it's awesome.

I've never seen an AM, so I can't say anything about it. To be sincere, the only fan sculpt I personally like is TM, but as I said, I haven't seen an AM in person, so maybe it's worth considering.

But, if you want to go ROTJ style, Joe is your man. (Specially if he has an offer for you! :D )

I hope you can build your armor soon. There are nice examples of ROTJ EIBs around, so try to get as much info as possible.

Cheers.

You can count on me not rushing the build. I am actually thinking about taking the suit and build it up ROTJ style.

If ROTJ is what you're aiming for, definitely go with AP.

If ROTJ is what you're aiming for, definitely go with AP.

I most likely go ANH at first since that is the way the kit is set up. I could always revert to ROTJ by attaching the buttplate back, adding the necessary strips around the armor and getting a new bucket. Amongst other tidbits. Those EIB status requirements still make my head spin. Besides, I honestly doubt anyone other than someone from over here would cry foul at an ANH storm trooper in a story set after ROTJ.

Look, it's a ANH stormtrooper... blast him!

Couldn't get to the bank in time after work, now I will do it tomorrow since I go to work late to send the money on it's way to AP. Then it's waiting. He actually offered me to assemble the lid for a fee too, but I opted out. Not so much that I can't afford it. It's more that I don't want to cheat. I want to say: "Yes, I cut it all, and put it all together, and no I won't do it again because it is a royal PITA" :trooper:

on the AP kit, of which I am quite vocal around these parts, the back is not separated at all,

the suit was created partially from an ROTJ suit to begin with, and it's ABS.

most of the TE/TE2 line comes with those back plate parts separated, so

it's really ready to go ROTJ almost out of the box.

just assemble it with the overlap method, instead of the butt joined and finishing strip.

all you would have to do to make it ROTJ, thinner webbing belt,

put the AB buttons on upside down, add the proper car door edge trim-

if you let AP know that you're making an ROTJ he can sell you the door edge trim as well!

AP's holster is not correct, as he sews the bottom shut. and you'd need longer straps for the holster

for the ROTJ style.

the blaster and handplates, and one of joe's ROTJ helmets, and your fan film would be well on it's way to

accuracy.

I joked to my garrison that I went with the rubies. If not for this thread it would have had a bigger effect...

I'll be doing the suit ANH style, unless assembling it ROTJ style and having some ANH mixed in is not going to make a difference to 501st acceptance. I won't be EIB, but like I stated, that still makes my head spin.

• 3 months later...

Hey Cornelis,

Have you received your AP armor yet? I ordered mine 2 months ago today (well, that's when my money made it up north.) I know it's their busy season.... but I'm still dying to know WHEN I'll get it. Just curious. Hope you already have it and are deep into the joys of your build!

• 1 month later...

Hey Tim,

I'm just building up funds to buy the armor. My wife is very stingy with how much I'm allowed to spend on my Imperial Costumes each month. Right now, I'm finishing up a 181st Fighter Group TIE Pilot. The Stormtrooper is next to do.

And I am hoping to go with an Expert Infantryman standard for my ANH suit.