Need Armor help!

I know that everyone and their dog has probably asked this question, but I am having a much harder time finding the answer, even with the search bar. So, I'll ask, What kind of armor would fit me?

I am a 5'5 girl, though I do plan on getting shoe lifts to bump myself up to around 5'8-ish (to try and avoid all those "Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?" remarks I know I'll probably get). I am 150 pounds, with all of the weight around my hips and thighs. I do have a small waist, though. I am absolutely clueless about what type of armor to get. Money probably isn't the biggest issue for me, as I am soon to start a job that should be paying pretty good, but I don't want something insanely expensive. I am looking at AP armor, since that seems to be a pretty good setup. But I honestly have no idea what is and isn't good. As much as I research the topic, it seems like I hardly even scratch the surface.

I'll add that I am close to being a newbie at all sorts of power tools. I can sew well and I am not new to costuming, but when it comes to power tools, I am not very good. I can learn what I need to, but I prefer something that isn't insanely difficult to construct. Something with a strapping system would be nice too.

Anyways, If you need any more details about my measurements to suggest a good costume, I'd be much obliged! I really, really want to join the 501st, and now that I am going to be working, I can finally entertain the possibility of actually doing it!

Thank a ton, you guys!

-Alexandra

Hi Alexandra, for your physical structure I suggest AP, it's accurate and will fit your frame better than other armors if you build it well :)

Alexandra, it is important that people know where you're from, that way you can contact a local fellow member and I'm sure they will help you out

Alexandra, it is important that people know where you're from, that way you can contact a local fellow member and I'm sure they will help you out

I am from Spokane, Wa. I believe the local Garrison is Garrison Titan. Now I am highly considering an AP. Is it a relatively simple build?

Hi Alexandra - you're in luck I'm from GT as well. There is a good group of folks in the Spokane area already. Please pop on

garrison titan and say hello.

As for as a costume, pretty much any make can be made to fit any body.

AP will require a lot of trimming on your end as the kits are untrimmed and is not an easy first kit. It can be done if you get some local help. Otherwise, you may want to consider a different make such as AM or RT which are designed to be put together pretty easily and are also ABS. People you're size have done it - though it will mean a lot of plastic on the floor (but in this case, you're just removing plastic from the backs usually, not too bad). :)

If you can, try to hook up with the Spokane folks and look at their costumes in person, or look us up should you ever come our way in Seattle. Lots of events in July ;-)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

AP has some parts (such as the thigh halves and shins) which are misaligned and can be tricky. It's a nice kit though, ABS plastic and very "bright white". I have been recently been building an ATA kit and its really easy to cut and assemble since it's HIPS (styrene) and pretty much everything lines up nicely.

I think AP, TE2, and ATA would be good choices. They fit smaller / slimmer builds well. AM can be resized, but its a lot of work. I sized an AM kit down considerably here

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 6/30/2010 at 3:11 AM, Daetrin said:

--------

Thanks a bunch, Daetrin! I will definitely ask around the GT forum and get in touch with the Spokane group! I just registered for the forum!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I agree with ATA being really easy to trim. Just get a pair of lexan scissors and follow the trim lines, no power tools needed :)

But with ATA painting and polishing is needed to get the wonderful shine. That's why I did a TD with my ATA :P

Edited by GosHawk

I agree with ATA being really easy to trim. Just get a pair of lexan scissors and follow the trim lines, no power tools needed :)

But with ATA painting and polishing is needed to get the wonderful shine. That's why I did a TD with my ATA :P

I am starting to think about going with an ATA or TE2, after reading up on the difficulties of the AP. Anyone here worked with an ATA or TE2? What are the Pros and Cons of each one? And how much would a kit cost?

Assembly is very similar with the AP and TE2.I own an AP for my TK and a TE2 for my TD. Both can be a little tricky, but i wouldnt say it is difficult. They both recommend the "strip" method. Which is basically butting the 2 halves of the calf (or thigh or bicep or forearm) together and attaching them with a single strip of plastic down the center to cover the seam. What i do is leave 1/2" of the center strip thats molded into the pieces on each side. so when you butt them together its about 1" i then glue a plastic strip on the INSIDE of one side,leaving a bout a hlf inch "extension".Let that dry, add glue to the extension part and then butt he other half to join up and clampo it down while the glue dries. Then put the strip in the front. doubles the strength of the join. i do this like this for all the fronts of the thighs calves forearms and biceps. Then i do the fitting on the backs.i think this makes it simpler. i use some blue painters tape to test fit the size.And i usually test it a few times before commiting to the cut. then i mark it off and basically do the same to the backs of the thighs, forarms and biceps. the backs of the calves, are velcroed. these parts would be the most difficult,and ithink using this method, it makes it alot easier. the rest is very simple. ill try and find a link to my strapping system that i seem to get complimented on all the time. i know theres a thread somewhere here where i showed it lol

also.....PM sent

Edited by Darth Voorhees

Hi, Alexandra!

I, too, am a lady and I have a fairly similar build (5'7", 130 lbs), and I did my research and decided on the ATA kit. From everything I read and all the questions I asked, it seemed like it would be the best fit and easiest kit for me, since this is my first as well (I'm likewise no stranger to sewing and costuming). I've placed my order and paid for it, and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive! I'm DYING.

BUT...since I haven't started on it yet I can't say for sure if I made the wisest choice. The cost was right, the sizing right, and difficulty level appeared right. I'll let you know how it goes once I begin.

If you don't mind, I'd like to stay in touch and compare build experiences!