Anyone else get burned by an Ebay buyer...and Paypal

Wildabeast

So I sold an iPod last month on Ebay to a buyer in Italy, I didn't offer tracking because of the cost and the buyer didn't ask either(dumb move on my part I know). So I mailed it on January 25th and was advised it would take 3-5 weeks to get there. Comes Jan 28 I get my funds frozen in Paypal, seems that he still hasn't received it yet...and of course oped a dispute. I called Canada Post and they advised that it can sometimes take up to 7 weeks regular mail to get a package to Italy, I then called Paypal about the dispute and gave them the same info. Paypal says they will email the buyer for them to advise when they receive the iPod. Well he must have emailed back saying that he still hasn't received it...but it's only been 4 weeks...now they have reversed the funds on the transaction......and I am out the $90 USD and the iPod probably, and can't do any other transactions until I bring the account out of the negative balance ($60 as I only had $30 in the paypal account)....to say I am PO'd is an understatement...sorry for the rant but I had to get it out.....

The weird thing is.. Why would paypal assume you are trying to rip someone off.. Everybody knows the buyer will always get his money back in cases like this. So it's always the buyer who's in the position to hassle, never the seller.

But like you already stated: no proof of shipment = fail :(

The weird thing is.. Why would paypal assume you are trying to rip someone off.. Everybody knows the buyer will always get his money back in cases like this. So it's always the buyer who's in the position to hassle, never the seller.

But like you already stated: no proof of shipment = fail :(

I have the receipt from the Post Office and all the emails to the person, but they don't mean squat without the tracking....

Does the receipt from the Post Office state any of the following:

Proof of shipment is acceptable documentation if a buyer files a chargeback or reversal for an unauthorized payment. You need a document from a shipping company that:

- Shows the status as shipped or delivered, or shows a postmark.

- Shows the date of shipment.

- Includes the recipient’s address, showing at least the city/state or ZIP code (or their equivalent).

You could try to contact the Post Office and ask if they have any record of that shipment/transaction. The more info you get, the more PayPal likes you ;)

Edited by LJJNL

I know it sounds crazy, but it could still be in customs. And when it comes to electronic devices, they wait to see if they are gonna go boom.

Years ago, I had a long wait when I purchased a Laser Disc player from Japan, It sat in customs it seemed like forever!!

Check with the postmaster at the branch you shipped the IPod from and see if He or She can contact the postal service in Italy or can give you their contact info (email or phone number).

Update Ebay and PayPal to let them know what you are doing. The thing about Ebay and PayPal is, they want the seller to show that they are working to resolve the matter.

It only takes getting burned once to get your ducks in a row for future transactions. Set up the shipping tool on your Paypal account and ship directly from there. It's convenient, quick, and provides instant tracking info to PP and the buyer. I had shipped some merchandise to Canada via USPS priority (using PP) and the buyer stated they never recd the item despite the fact that CAN post provided a delivery confirmation. My auction clearly stated that once it was shipped and tracking was provided, that I wasn't responsible for lost shipments and claims would have to be filed with the shipping company. Based on his mannerisms, I truly think he was trying to scam me, right down to threatening to "send some friends to pay me a visit".... that part really cracked me up! :lol: ... he filed a dispute with PP and they denied it within a day since the tracking info showed it was delivered. He then filed another dispute stating that the item wasn't as described, which then locked up the funds. He even supplied a fake tracking number to make it look like he was sending the item back to me. After a couple of calls to PP, they dropped the claim in my favor.

It only takes getting burned once to get your ducks in a row for future transactions. Set up the shipping tool on your Paypal account and ship directly from there. It's convenient, quick, and provides instant tracking info to PP and the buyer. I had shipped some merchandise to Canada via USPS priority (using PP) and the buyer stated they never recd the item despite the fact that CAN post provided a delivery confirmation. My auction clearly stated that once it was shipped and tracking was provided, that I wasn't responsible for lost shipments and claims would have to be filed with the shipping company. Based on his mannerisms, I truly think he was trying to scam me, right down to threatening to "send some friends to pay me a visit".... that part really cracked me up! :lol: ... he filed a dispute with PP and they denied it within a day since the tracking info showed it was delivered. He then filed another dispute stating that the item wasn't as described, which then locked up the funds. He even supplied a fake tracking number to make it look like he was sending the item back to me. After a couple of calls to PP, they dropped the claim in my favor.

:blink: Boy does that sound familiar.I sent a MR lightsaber to a guy in Russia last Dec. and he still claims he never got it.I'm currently trying to get this matter taken care of as the post master here says its most likely held up in customs as he proved it got to russia at least. :)

Well after spending 20 minutes of my lunch on the phone phone with Paypal..it'official....I have to take it up the......unless I can provide Proof of Delivery:6: ....guess I charge more for shipping and trust people less out side the "family", ie here, 501st, TDH, RPF, etc....

So I wrote the person a nice email thru Ebay, and basically said: I understand that you didn’t get the iPod in the 3-4 weeks, however I believe that it is probably stuck in customs. Please pay me or return it when you get it.

I highly doubt that either will happen, but you never know…..live and learn

I know it probably wont do much, but isn't there a way to leave negative feedback on a buyer on ebay?

Nope.. . crapbay changed their policy a few months back so only buyers can leave bad feedback. :angry:

Nope.. . crapbay changed their policy a few months back so only buyers can leave bad feedback. :angry:

Oh trust me that was the one of the first things I looked into....What I can't believe is that the seller has almost no protection unless they charge for tracking etc...but the buyer can say whatever they want...it's all about the $$$$

For the last say,2 years, I must have had stuff come to me from all over. Most of the EU, and all over the US. If I have to ship stuff from Canada, I use the EXPRESS Post, and keep all shipping info. Canada Post is not to bad to ship out from, it's "getting" stuff in. Some times Can customs is OK. But at times a real B#^ch! Thy let one thing buy and no duty, then the next week will ding me for some $25.00 part! :blink: To/from Can to the UK is buy far the better place. The US is next. If I can (and it can get costly) I'll use UPS or the other guy's for shipping to the US. All most all ways it customs on both ends that you get hold up. I like UPS because you get a full statement with all info from a small letter, or armour parts. It list all what you sent. And they keep track better then Can Post. I long a'go gave up on "F-U Bay". Got burned bad about 3 years a'go and wil never deal with them again. Now I guess I should get back to my re-due of the re-due of the re-due shin parts!.....or read a bit more here :P

So.......guess who I heard from today.....seems my Italian friend received the iPod today..called Paypal, faxed them a copy of the email...should have money back in 3-5 days...Like I told the guy at Paypal, all I wanted was 1 more week from the date the dispute was put in, and tomorrow would have been the end of that week.... B)

• 2 weeks later...

Update...after sending a copy of the email from my Italian friend to Paypal, as per their advice, and then being told they do not accept emails as confirmation of receipt, I finally was able to speak to a Supervisor, who verified the email on Ebay.....and got PayPal to refund me back the $$$$, of course as a 1 time courtsey to me.......gues they could no longer deny the logic that I was right all along :D

Update...after sending a copy of the email from my Italian friend to Paypal, as per their advice, and then being told they do not accept emails as confirmation of receipt, I finally was able to speak to a Supervisor, who verified the email on Ebay.....and got PayPal to refund me back the $$$$, of course as a 1 time courtsey to me.......gues they could no longer deny the logic that I was right all along :D

Allright! Good to hear it worked out for everyone after all! Well played ;)

And the story goes on......I just received a payment from the buyer today in addition to the Paypal refund...not sure what I should do at this point???? :6: Should I refund him, call Paypal, leave it alone, cry in a dark closet,...

Edited by Wildabeast

1. Buyer paid

2. Buyer disputed

3. Paypal refunded buyer

4. I yelled numerous times at Paypal

5. Sent email through Ebay to buyer asking for payment

6. Yelled at Paypal more until they confirmed through email in Ebay item received

7. Paypal offered to refund $$$

8. Buyer sent payment

I don't think that he paid twice...the Paypal rep stated that Paypal was going to refund me directly...and the payment history says from Paypal not him...

Also had some problems, but i was the buyer...bought an Armor, which didn´t arrive within three month, at least, the seller promised me to send a new package with a new armor, and so he did. I can understand, that this stings him, because it caused more costs to him. To cut a long story short: When sending international, always look for a tracking number....if the package is lost, the insurance of the postoffice will pay your financial loss...

I don't think that he paid twice...the Paypal rep stated that Paypal was going to refund me directly...and the payment history says from Paypal not him...

In that case, just wait until PayPal discovers the error ;)