My first bucket assembly... Problems!

Well, I attempted to assemble my first bucket with some guidance from Tray. As I've said before I'm not a very handy person but I really wanted to try to do this. Here are some pics....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VeryQueasy/501st/2010-03-0223-51-08855.jpg

Front view... One problem I have is I think I put the brow a little too low over the eyes. I was going for the Hero look (which another problem occured after I assembled it I realized).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VeryQueasy/2010-03-0223-51-34203-1.jpg

Side view... As you can see I cut the brow strip too short, or I believe it's too short.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/VeryQueasy/501st/2010-03-0223-51-21382.jpg

Other side..

The other issue that I realized after i already assembled it is Hero helmets only have two screws on the ear pieces.

Any suggestions?

Oh another issues I had was gluing the lenses in, is there a technique to keep them down while the glue sets? I got glue all over the lense and had to order another set!

Hey man as far as the brow trim goes I think its bearly too short on the sides. It still might be passable but I will let the experts jump in on that before I make an assumption, maybe trim the decals a little bit to make them fit, you can always paint a black line on them. I did on mind an its bearly noticable, only if you hold it real close. To fix the height of the brow issue....its a little low, all you need to do it take a razor blade and CAREFULLY trim the plastic under the trim so that when you put the trim back on it should sit a little higher, make sure you only do a little at a time tho, but heck if you do a lot by accident then you can become a stunt trooper and the screws wont be an issue. B) I could send you a pair of extra ears I have, then you can start over with that part, if that might interest you. Let me know.

Hey Nathan, You stated that you are going for the Hero look and I know that said that you realize that the ears on a Hero only have two screws holding them on. That is true. It looks to me that your helmet was set up to be a Stunt to begin with from the photos that you posted.

Here are some detailed differences from Hero and Stunt to help you out.

Stunt Helmet:

High brow line

Three screws holding each ear on (two on the flat round part,one above and one below the sensor ridges). The third screw is at the bottom of the ear, near the neck rim.

Ear sensor ridges (Four ridges per ear)

Flat green lenses

Three to five teeth on each side of the frown (the majority of the Stunt Helmets had four on each side, total of eight)

Original screen used helmets were made out of khaki HDPE and painted white

Hero Helmet:

Low brow line

Two screws holding each ear on (one above the sensor ridge and one at the bottom of the ear, near the neck rim)

Ear sensor ridges (Three ridges per ear)

Dark green or smokey gray bubble lenses

Three teeth per each side of the frown

Original screen used helmets were made out of milk white ABS and there was no need to paint them

Now after looking at the list of the differences, your helmet comes closer to being a Stunt than a Hero. Not only how many screws you have holding the ears on, you have four ridge sensors on each ear, and eight teeth. Without a lot of modification, such as, having to fill in the mouth and having to re-do the ridge sensors, to make them three on each side, my advice is to raise the brow and make your helmet a Stunt Helmet.

To get a comparison, go to this link:http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-stormtrooper-comparisons.htm

Here is a little diagram that I threw together to show you how you can change the brow line to match the Stunt better.

As you start from the corner of where the ear meets the cap part,and as you get closer to the front, start widening the cut of the wedge of your brow. Start out with a little. You can always take of more, but you can never put back.

TKhelp.jpg

TKhelp2.jpg

If you have any problems or need some help, let me know. It is always better to measure twice and cut once.

heh Nathan,

I would go along the route advised by Tom.

I think you appear to have set the brow a little low, and need to raise it, here is a lid I have been working on (Which btw I hashed up and had to adjust it)

WID_6356.jpg

WID_6357.jpg

It also looks as though you may of recessed the front plate a little, so I would think about taking it a apart and pushing this so that it touches the cap'n'back:

i.e. from this

lid-users.jpg

To this

lid-users2.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies! I will do the best I can to adjust the helmet a little better. I really like the low brow look, I am going to make it a stunt bucket but I'd like to keep the brow a little lower, obviously not as low as what I have now. Is this a problem?

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I have noticed, is the on the left eye (if you're looking at the helmet) there is a bump, someone in my garrison said it's actually screen accurate because there was a close up of a sandtrooper who had the same bump. Another said it was because when I glued the lenses in the plastic warped.

I don't really want the bump there, is there a way to get it back or at least a little less bumpy? I'm assuming heat the plastic and move it down a little bit. What's the best technique for that?

Thanks!