white paint for boots - anyone try it?

----------

from Kev's tutorial on making clone boots. the finish looks nice. If it works on those loafers - I would think it would do on some black boots.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Marks link is a great one but there are many others in the forum. Dont be afraid to use the search engine. i promise it doesnt bite ;)

HIGHLY recommend white Nu-Life spray. Use the color preparer before you apply it.

+1

Buy two cans. One for the first time you paint them -- will take several coats. The second one for touch ups.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

With my extra large boot project I think a spray paint woud be best. Gonna order the Nu-Life Spray Paint. A few have asked for a tutorial. I'll be glad to post pics, goofs & success once all the supplies get here. For those who don't know what Im about to udergo, here it is. I live in Bakersfield Ca, in the summer it gets in excess of 100' normally around 105'-110' Problem being my scout trooper boots are starting to come apart do to the heat melting the glue under the vinyl. tute comming soon :dancing-trooper:

• 1 month later...

Bought the Nu-Life spray paint.  Used several lite coats, 10-12 with 20-30min in between coats & they came out really good. Left them overnight in the garage. Next morning I put my hand in the shaft to look them over. Where ever the boot flexed, the paint cracked. I contacted the manufacture & they said. The leather has to be cleaned almost to bare leather & it requires 12hrs in between paintings. Neither is mentioned in the instructions or thier website. Took me all day to remove all the paint. Will attempt again after an aceton bath :blink:

That sucks. Did you use the white dye first? I used almost a whole bottle of white dye on mine, then have been using the spray after.

What is killing me is spray painting the elastic white. This is about half a can of Design Master:

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Well I used the lite coat with the 12hr+ dry time. I looked over the boots & flexed here & there. Paint stayed on. So maybe this lite coat, 12hr thing will work. just means it will take 10 days to paint my boots :blink:

Nu-Life paint sucks. I would not reccomend. Had to switch to the Angelus Acrylic Paint. Used less than 1/8 of the bottle to do the 1st coat on both boots. Will let you know how this works out.

I just had to repaint my ROTJ boots (since the soles are white) after the paint I had thought was awesome started flaking off. :(

I just used Krylon rattle-can from Walmart. I'll let you know how successful that is...or isn't. lol.

Angelus Acrylic Paint is the way to go. Was able to apply 6 coats in two day. Paint is flexable & stays on the smooth leather boot. Cheaper than nu-life too. nu-life 12oz can, $12.99, Angelus 4oz bottle, $4.95. I used less than 1 bottle to paint 16" tall engineer boots.