Anyone else get one of these?

Sgt JB

I got an e-mail from a NYC photo studio requesting to rent my TK lid for a photo shoot, anyone else got an e-mail like this?:

Hi Eric,

Hope all is well. I am reaching out today because I came across your profile on www.501st.com. I am interested in renting your stormtrooper costume for an upcoming photoshoot.

We would need to use only the helmet and any props. We don't need the full costume. We would of course compensate you for using your costume.

We are a photography and digital animation studio in NYC. located on 95 canal street. The purpose of this shoot is for the photographers personal portfolio. It will be a closed set, meaning only the model, hair/make-up team, photographer, and myself will be present on set.

I assure you that your costumes will be dealt with and handled very carefully. I understand that a lot of time and money has been put into the construction of your costumes. We have worked with many props before and will take full responsibility for any damages. We have worked with Bulgari, MTV, HBO, Everlast, and Coca-Cola to name a few.

We are very interested in your costume, and once again only need certain parts of it for this photo shoot. Please let me know if you are willing to rent and at what rate.

Thank you,

Nasim

Nasim Dehghani

Producer

G M D THREE studio

nasim@gmdthree.com

www.gmdthree.com

chi ching ! IF its real,

see if they have a site,

contact, phone numbers, names,

try and get an official business card.

make a contract, signed both parites

confirm the address via yellow pages,

check better business bureau.

Just to cover yourself on this matter.

Will you need to ship?

how will they fight if any damage does happen?

Take many photographs before sending and have the sign off on the current condition.

Who will be wearing it?

for what amount of time?

In the end your armor is your proud accomplishment and surrendering it to a company where you will not have access to it is alot to ask. He seams aware that product is valuable. How about a security deposit. Give your helmet an overall value and tell them to send you a back check that you under contract agree to return to them once you've received your helmet back. The check of course bank certified, and made out to you.

Maybe thats too much, but you have to consider that you could never see it again. So make sure you cover every angle. In the end it could be a fun thin and a cool shoot that you are part of.

Alex

Hmmn, :unsure:

When someone makes an unsolicited offer to "rent a costume" it immediately raises a yellow flag for me. I figure you got tagged because you're in the NYC-area, possibly helped by the exposure you got from the Today Show shoot.

Up to you whether or not to accept. I won't bother quoting the 501st's policy on something like this, I'm sure you're already well aware of it. Either way, I'd approach with caution and, if you agree to do this, make sure you're one of the people physically present along with the model, photographer, etc. Despite the assurances to the contrary, people tend to treat stuff they rent differently from stuff they own.

Keep us posted, I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. ;)

Alex brings up a good point. Isn't it a rule that as a member of the 501st, you're / the Legion not supposed to make money from any appearances (and I don't think that means the person under the suit, it's more like the image / property of LFL used for profit?)

If you do, it's only for charitable causes, correct?

You are correct. We cannot profit from our membership and can only ask for repayment of expenses. You can however ask for a donation to be made to a charity of their choice in the Legion or your garrison's name and to see the receipt thereof.

I already said that I was flattered, but no thanks. I just found it interesting that he wanted only my lid. Figured they sent out a blanket offer to TKs from the 501st site. I have a hard time letting my friends hold my lid, much less sending it off to NYC all by itself.

Hmm. The whole things sounds weird. I would be inclined to say to them that I know where they can purchase a helmet. That way nobody is out anything if the rental goes lost, and you don't have to worry about your lid being targetted as being involved in some kinda money-making business. Personally, I have never heard of such a company approaching a stranger in such a way. Normally they would go to professional rental places, or hire a builder or something like that.