Helmet to Helmet Intercomms system

Hello guys!

ok... besides the aerator and venting system and the amp system in the helmet my fellow troopers and myself are installing in all of our helmets an inter-comms system so that we can comunicate between ourselves internally at a 100 meter range silently (meaning without civilians hearing what we say).

Each one of us bought a motorola variable frecuency walkie talkie (the little compact ones) and got the unit inside the chest piece of the armor.

we got a tech-guy to rig the walkie?s "no hands" button to speak into the left side of the belt and to the headset in such a way that when not used the Mic works with the amp allowing us to speak to ppl normally (without the static burst...we haven?t been able to replicate the effect sadly) but that when we want to speak internally the button disables the amp and speaker and only troopers on the same frecuency can hear.

That was the first thing we decided we had to do on the helmets along with venting and amplification systems... I kinda thought that everyone did this but while navigating thru the forums I haven?t been able to find no one that had done this mod.

Is there a reason why?

or is it that we are the first group to actually do this?

please let me know what you think guys!

I will post pics as soon as the system is installed propperly on the bucket since we started to work on that mod this week.

Best regards to all.

Vode An.

Commander Dargas.

I think it's a great idea, but as you note it requires a "tech guy" who has the time/skills to help out. These seem to be few & far between...

I have seen in radioo shack and other electronic stores cheap PTT (Push To Talk) swiches that that have a adapter that conects to your voice amp and then to the walkie talkie. When you talk normally the walki talkie is disconnected, and only when you Push the PTT the voice amp gets cut and the walkitalkie is on. I may be mistaken but it seemed like a simple connection. Any one see any of theses around???? or has one??? Firefox systems had one, throat mic and all, looked very cool.

Hay Dragas could you send diagrams of the hook up so that we could see??? All i need is to get another TK down here!!!

or is it that we are the first group to actually do this?

Hi Commander,

no, you are not the first group who does this. There is a system in the UK Garrison called "Troopercom". As far as I know it is an additional module for the RomFX speaker system. I dont know much about it, just that there is a magnetic Switch in the earcaps of the helmets and a small magnet in the glove of the trooper. the RomFX works normal as long as the the trooper does not touch his helmet with the magnet. If he does then the RomFX switches from "outside talking" (spectators) to speaking with the other troopers. To show that he does "internal speaking" the trooper has a small LED light in the lid.

I have no ideas about frequencies etc. maybe one of our UK guys can jump in on that :)

Sure... as soon as the system is completely installed I?ll ask the technician to give me the schematics to share them here.

will post pics of the helmet too!

thare might be a possibility that we can make them in here so we can send the thing rigged and ready to install.... i don?t know...just an idea.

the idea of the magnet system is great! i?ll try to implement that today!

Cheers!

I built a system that combines a 2-way radio, a ROM FX Pro and controls it all from my wrist gauntlet wirelessly. I have a reciever that is just 4 remote controlled relays. The relays trigger my ROM FX Sound FX and the PTT button on my radio. I took the remote apart and used UK's idea of the Reed switch and put 3 of those in my left gauntlet (sound 1, sound 2 and PTT) and one runs to a switch on my left middle finger for my blaster sound fx. I have a magnet, in my glove on my right index finger, that allows me to trigger the reed switches.

I did my first event with it last weekend. I think it was pretty successful. I am working on three more for guys in my garrison this weekend. I will try to take video with my camera and show it off.