How many helmet styles?

If both helmet types feature the same tells on the inside but look slightly different from the outside (more wonky/softer) .....

If there are slight differences on the outside, could they be caused by use of the haircell ABS rather than the smooth ABS? I don't know how differently the materials would behave when being vac formed.

David

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An SF helmet is seen in ESB and photographed in 1980, a couple of years before ROTJ was made, so it stands to reason that the SF helmets were made first.

I would say that there should be no difference externally if smooth and haircell ABS were pulled over the same mould. Two reasons spring to mind why one would be softer in appearance- thicker plastic or recast mould. I tend to think the latter here but without having the different helmets in my hands I couldn't possibly say for sure.

Do you mean the pic of Vader with the two ST's and the red background? If so, the thing that troubles me about that pic is that the trooper on the right has grey teeth. All the Empire ones on screen and those I've seen in on-set publicity stills were black. Is there a possibility this is a ANH hero (I know it has 4 teeth each side, but did every hero only have 3 teeth)?

I agree - that photoshoot always bothers me. Ive seen 2 slightly different photos but unfortunately only Vader's position changed wth the right trooper staying in almost the exact same position. Without seeing it from a different angle I'm just wondering whether it could be one of the 6 ANH Hero's - even though I admit from the angle its taken it looks odd. Although the ANH Hero's with most screen-time had 3 teeth I dont know if one could have ad four - Ainsworth admitted that they were pretty random.

I do think that the SF came first with the RF after. And I suppose it could make sense that one if cast off the other - however IMO the fact that David/omp_uk has had both types side by side carries a lot of weight with me.

Joe/Keith - when youre saying youve looked at moulds based on both helmet types are you saying that one of the moulds was cast off the unfinished/production made helmet. If so then with respect (and I genuinely mean that) it may not be the best source since its way softer tha any Jedi stormtrooper anyway....

Cheers

Jez

Do you mean the pic of Vader with the two ST's and the red background?

No, not that one. The photo's where the two troopers are with Vader in the streets of London. Those two are SF helmets and dated 1980.

The trooper on the right next to Vader in the ESB photo with the red background is most definately an ROTJ/SF helmet, no question in my mind. The fact that it has grey teeth makes no difference to my eyes, though I can see why it would be misleading. One of the troopers with Vader in London 1980 also had grey teeth while the other had black. I'd say that these are most likely the same helmets.

Joe/Keith - when youre saying youve looked at moulds based on both helmet types are you saying that one of the moulds was cast off the unfinished/production made helmet. If so then with respect (and I genuinely mean that) it may not be the best source since its way softer tha any Jedi stormtrooper anyway....

I have to disagree Jez, the overall shape differs so much on the moulds. But anyway that helmet is actually a very sharp casting, much more so than other Jedi examples. It also matches Jedi helmets in every angle. Anyway sharpness of cast is not what is different about the moulds as you will soon see!

Also fellas when you see my replicas and compare them to the TE ROTJ Replica Helmets both version 1 and 2 you will see the huge difference in shape.

Joe

• 3 years later...

I want to share this photo that I took back in '83 when I went to Harrods in London to see the exhibition promoting ROTJ. On display was this TK.

As I was 15 at the time, all I had was my old camera with disposable flash cubes, so I apologies about the quality!

The helmet is hero but badly painted gray frown. The Ab plate has no buttons, and the hand plates look like ANH rubber ones.

If anyone has any history on this, it would be appreciated.

tk_zpsfbc097bc.jpg

Here's the link to the rest of the photos on Facebook:

https://www.facebook...31461261&type=1

Thanks for sharing these photos, Derek :duim: Always nice to see old photos emerge from back in the day.

That is not a hero helmet, it is a stunt. In fact, I believe that is Simons suit from RS Prop Masters before he aquired it. All the tell tale signs are there that are unique to this particular armour. There is a thread on The Prop Den that goes into more details and has a photo similar (or same) as the one above. Interesting to see the left shin is unpainted along with the belt.

Any chance you could post a higher resolution image so I can check to see a few things or is this the best you have?

That is not a hero helmet, it is a stunt. In fact, I believe that is Simons suit from RS Prop Masters before he aquired it.

Aaah, so I'm not crazy.

When I saw the pic, I said to myself "funny, this helmet seems to have the same shape as RS prop original helmet".

white soles boots, ROTJ blaster (can see soles on his FB page photostrip)

anh hands.

ugh... that frown!

knee plate looks broken

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392