Look what I've found!

Today I went to a big fabric shop in Madrid (called Ribes & Casals) to get some fabric for a tablecloth, and my Spider-sense (or should it be Trooper-sense? :lol: ) told me to go take a look at the costume fabrics section.

And looking here and there I found this:

--------

(thanks Billy for the picture.)

So I bought all the fabric they had left (about 6 1/2 feet, but they told me they usually have it) and I will start to play with it a little to see if I can make a neck seal that looks as good as the ones on the movies.

Luckily I just bought a sewing machine and my mother promised me to teach me how to use it. :P

So I'll keep you updated.

Cheers.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Any plans on selling them once you've got the hang of making them Damian.?

If I manage to make something nicely finished, simple to make and that looks close to the original I will surely put a project order thread. I will also put plans and make a how to thread, that's for sure. :)

There are two things that worry me: that I learn to properly use the sewing machine and that I can make something nice for a reasonable (preferably low) price.

I talked with my mother (who will help me start with the project) and I have an idea of how this could be made very simply.

I need to gather a couple of materials (velcro and the filling) and start with the tests.

I'll keep you updated on my progress.

This is a small test I did to test my sewing skills (my mother told me how to use the machine) and the concept I have, which is really simple.

As I didn't have a suitable material for the stuffing (I'll have to get some thick polyester batting or similar) I used some spongy thing I got from the kitchen. :P

It's just for you to see the fabric, mostly.

I hope you like it.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

did you think about following Riveting's method?

-------

That fabric would look good with this method.

There always seems to be demand, although the orginal maker said there was several hours of labor in each one!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks Paul! :)

did you think about following Riveting's method?

I thought about it, because I think Riveting's neck seals are truly the best looking necks seals ever made.

But I find his method too complicated, at least for me. :P

I wanted to do something easy and practical, but good looking at the same time.

I hope I can find a way to do it.

An update!

I made two tests.

I first used polyester batting as stuffing, sewing over it.

The results were not very good.

Even though the batting was thick, once bent the look was a bit plain. The lines were not round and stuffed like in the pictures.

So my mother suggested that I used some kind of cord to fill the lines.

I looked for rubber cords, but I didn't found big enough cords to fill it.

And then the girl at the haberdashery/notions store told me that they had a cotton cord (around 5 mm) that may suit me.

So I bought 2 meters to do a test.

I first sewed the fabric and then inserted the cord, and this is the result:

-------

:)

That's about 2 inches high.

It's not perfect, as it's just a test, but I really like how's turning out.

What do you think?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

No that looks very good, u might want to see if u add a teflon foot/slipper ( little atachment that goes on the foot like thingy of the sewing machine) that may actually let the material slide, it could make the fabric work with u and not agaisnt u, it could make the bump more rounded, but i think it look good after u spit 2-3 out u will see they get better!!!!!

TK-2126_MD said:
No that looks very good, u might want to see if u add a teflon foot/slipper ( little atachment that goes on the foot like thingy of the sewing machine) that may actually let the material slide, it could make the fabric work with u and not agaisnt u, it could make the bump more rounded, but i think it look good after u spit 2-3 out u will see they get better!!!!!

Thanks Joey! :)

Yes, I need more experience. :P

And this was only a test. I didn't mind if I made mistakes, I just wanted to see if it looked like I wanted (and it did.)

Even the fabric is wrinkled, as I'm using the end of the fabric to make tests. So by no means it looks like the final one. I hope to get better.

I guess what you mean is this:

------------

I don't know if my machine can use one of those. It's a very simple and basic machine. But I'll try to ask at the store to see if they know if something like that can be used on it.

oiftanker said:
i use #3 cording

Thanks Arron!

At the store they didn't know the diameter of the cord. <_<

I had to choose by eye. I measured it later.

Maybe I can use a slightly bigger cord. I just want around 11 of them by neck piece.

I still need to figure out how to finish the seal to look more similar to that seen on screen. But I'm getting closer.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed