My new Kev's ANH 2.5, Finally perferct

After so much work and heartache I had to show of my new Kev's ANH 2.5. This helmet has a lengthy history. First, a friend finished the helmet for me. However, the finish was damaged during shipping. So I decided to refinish it. I primed, sanded, painted, sanded, painted, then applied a poly acrylic for protection (big mistake). I then painted all of the trim and applied the decals. I also glued in a hard hat liner.

I added a 4 fan cooling system utilizing squirrel fans. I set up two fans to suck in at the frown and blow up just below the lenses. Then I put one fan at the chin on the inside bottom of the goatee. that fan sucks air down and blows it straight out at my neckseal. The forth fan I placed at the top of my helmet sucking air up and then blowing down the back of the my helmet and out. This cooling system works so well that when I get dressed I start sweating, then I put the helmet on and I cool right off. It has a perfect air balance.

I also installed a memorex wireless mic in my helmet. The transmitter I velcroed at the very top of my helmet.

I went on my first troop with my new helmet (A fanboys showing event that i help set-up). DISASTER STRUCK and her name was MALLORY! As I was walking out the door of the changing room, my 8 year old daughter opened the door on me. My new helmet, with my head inside, slammed into the door. I took such a hard hit that I cut my forehead inside my helmet. I had a nice trickle of blood running down my face. It looked cool. The helmet did not. The door left a green scrape at the brow and traveled 2" up the dome. The scrap was about 1/2" wide. A lesser helmet would have cracked. But Kev's helmets are built thick and tough. The only damage was to the paint.

I decided to refinish the helmet...Again. In part because of the scrape and in part because the poly acrylic finish left a yellowish tint that I just could not live with. So I went through the re-finishing process again. This time I used a clear gloss paint for a protective coating. It turned out beautifully.

I took pictures because I know it will never look as good again.

Lessons learned:

• Pack helmets with lots of bubble wrap when you ship them.
  • Don't allow your kids near dressing rooms.
  • Don't use poly acrylic for a protective coat.
  • Hard hat liners are good.
  • My wife has a steadier hand than I do with a paint brush.

Tie281H.jpg

ru5LNEq.jpg

a1xcqaP.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

it is - but on second thought only - the first thing that would spring to my mind if someone would point something like that out to me would be "what an a very impolite person" LOL

It just shows you that when you look at something long enough you become blinded by the obvious. Like not being able to see the forest when you are in the trees. I appriciate the input and that is why I posted. I was more worried about putting the strips on straight and in the right spot and I overlooked the obvious. Funny thing is that nobody in my squad noticed when I showed wore it at the last event. I will definitly put them closer to the cheek transition. Thank you for the help.

Nice!!!! very cool Do happen to have pics of your helmet after the hit???

I like the way it came out after such a ordeal!!!!

Don't feel bad, I was putting the stripes on mine last night, side 1, perfect, side 2, backwards. that was after 3 hours polishing it with rubbing compound, so I forgave myself :) other than that nice lid!!

• 4 weeks later...
oh noes the first picture has been "deleted" :L

what part of the helmet cut you exactly and have you added foam or any sort of protection successfully to prevent future bumps and bruises?

Blaze,

I fixed the links and the pictures. Strips are now correct. I am not sure what part of the helmet cut me. The inside is smooth. I think it was the hard hat liner that actually did the cutting. It was a really hard hit!

Blaze,

I fixed the links and the pictures. Strips are now correct. I am not sure what part of the helmet cut me. The inside is smooth. I think it was the hard hat liner that actually did the cutting. It was a really hard hit!

Thanks!

Oh that might have been it.

How did you get rid of the seam down the center of the helmet? I can't see it.

If you have an RT helmet how does it compare size-wise? I think the eyes are a bit higher on the RT from what I've seen in pictures.

Thanks!

Oh that might have been it.

How did you get rid of the seam down the center of the helmet? I can't see it.

If you have an RT helmet how does it compare size-wise? I think the eyes are a bit higher on the RT from what I've seen in pictures.

the seam was taken care of by lots of sanding, lots of primer, and lots of paint. This helmet was finished three times! The seam was never that bad. You could only see it at certain angles and in certain light.

I don't have and rt helmet to compare too. However, I did have a AP helmet and I repaired a TE2. The kw2.5 is the same size as those helmets and I have plenty of room for electronics. I love this helmet and I will buy another one if I have the chance. It is heavy but it is tough. The hit I took would have cracked a AP or TE2. Someday my nephew and I will do clones. When we do it will be from kev...