Putting the "K" in "TK"

FIVE

I don't like the idea of TKs being "space Nazis" LOL

But you realise the Empire is extremely racist and probably the biggest dictatorship you could think of? Stormtroopers ARE "UBER space Nazis" - like it or not. And no guys, I'm not right winged or anything - just found it funny that someone "doesn't like the idea"

I think it's whatever we want it to be. Even the whole SL, BH, whatever in the Legion is just for convenience. Actually it's moving away from these designators and moving towards actual costumes. What does it mean that SL is just as valid for Vader and some obscure EU sith lord both?

In the holiday special - which is canon, no? - there is a non-TK based stormrooper - I forget the number. So whole thing of TK-xxx for *all* stormtroopers is pretty silly. As you can see if it's just nnn then there can be at most 1000 people on the Death Star with TK-nnn. If there are > 1000 stormtroopers they must use something other than TK. If you say "why can't they be TK-nnnn"? If that were the case his TKID would would have referred to him as TK-0421, or TK-00421, or whatever.

Sorry to piss on people's cheerios...but hey it's all just fun anyway, no?

just to clarify, the ones on Endor are not 501st, the are the emperor´s shock troopers and he effectively states in his line "an entire Legion of my best troops awaits them"

And that's why we lost against the Care Bears... :D

And that's why we lost against the Care Bears... :D

LOL U beat me to it!!!

But i think u mean "THEY" and not "WE"

Sorry to piss on people's cheerios...but hey it's all just fun anyway, no?

ROFLOL!!!

Ahh man, you made my day! :D

yeah it´s all fun! you´re absolutely right, but sometimes it´s fun trying to make sense of the fantasy too eh?

By the way Jonah, i´ve read my post over and over again and I feel that the tone feels a bit conflictive but it´s not the idea, I assure you, you know me from the clone forums and you know I really don´t mean to fight you. just to clarify! that bit. however that´s exactly my thoughts, hope you don´t feel confronted or anything! :P

Pissing on cheerios.... god damn!!! hahahahahahaha

Nah. No problems. Just tossing out an alternate viewpoint. Since EU material currently says the 501st are all Jango clones, and Praji and Jir aren't, I posit the boarding party isn't all 501st. I also think that, although 501st are present, other ships from Vader's squadron deployed troops to Cloud City as well. And I know the Hoth assault was 501st. I'm saying that Vader isn't in direct command, despite often leading the troops. Anakin was a General. Vader is higher in the CoC. That's why he has Veers under him to handle the actual minutiæ of running the Legion, while Vader concentrates on the bigger picture.

Paul, I imagine if the first digit is a zero, it often (but not always) would get left off for convenience -- especially in less-formal transmissions (such as chewing out a trooper for abandoning his post). That would essentially limit each Legion to ten thousand (ish) Stormtroopers. More like 9,999, if there is no xx-0000. I think adding an "oh" or "double oh" in front of a one- or two-digit number would also be a common occurrance.

Here's the list of ID numbers I've found so far:

AF-027 Cloud City Garrison

AF-119 Cloud City Garrison

DV-523 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

DV-692 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

KE-829 Death Star

NT-311 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

NT-757

NT-957 Death Star II

RGA-972 Hoth assault force

ST-103 Tatooine search team, beast-rider

ST-4402 Tatooine search team

TK-104 Cloud City Garrison

TK-119 Death Star

TK-420 Death Star

TK-421 Death Star

TK-577 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

TK-875 Death Star

For my own purposes, I plan to be something like "PL-xxxx (TR/TK/TX/BH/AR/CT)". :) Since so much is up to interpretation, that's mine. *heh*

--Jonah

Though bangkok garrisson would be hard to abbreviate then: (I know bangkok is a city not a country, but heck I just wanted to point out a possible flaw)

Krung-thep-maha-nakorn-boworn-ratana-kosin-mahintar-ayudhya-amaha-dilok-pop-nopa-ratana-rajthani-burirom-udom-rajniwes-mahasat-arn-amorn-pimarn-avatar-satit-sakattiya-visanukam

KTMNBRKMAADPNRRBURMAAPASSV-421 :P

Problem there is what if someone moves, and their new garrison already has someone with that number? We're okay for the next few years, but then we'll go over 10,000 members and either have to add a digit, or find some way to start a second run of four-digit numbers or something...

But yes, I love the idea of the prefix being a garrison identifier. If it could be made to work.

--Jonah

Yeah... just so everyone knows, this wasn't a thread about changing the names. It was just a, "hey, when you dream about TKs at night what do you think the "K" means?" thread.

I doubt anything is going to change. TK is known world-wide as a stormtrooper... people automatically say "241" after they hear it. It's just a given we'll stay TKs.

Now then, in your own little universes when you're trooping... I say play it up and do what you want!

Yeah... just so everyone knows, this wasn't a thread about changing the names. It was just a, "hey, when you dream about TKs at night what do you think the "K" means?" thread.

I doubt anything is going to change. TK is known world-wide as a stormtrooper... people automatically say "241" after they hear it. It's just a given we'll stay TKs.

Now then, in your own little universes when you're trooping... I say play it up and do what you want!

Me, I say "421" after it. ;):P And at least I did say what I thought it "stood" for -- an abbreviation of "Tarkin", signifying his personal forces. i.e., It isn't an initial for anything. :)

As for the rest... The thing is, if you join the 501st with, say, a Biker Scout, you don't have a TKID -- you have a TBID. You only get the "TK" if you get a Stormtrooper costume approved. And if you have multiple costumes, you have multiple prefixes, depending on what you're wearing at the moment. I'd personally rather have one prefix, regardless of what costume I'm wearing -- and maybe only have it change if I change Garrisons, or have it set by declaring a preference form some Detachment or other (such as all the Royal Guards or all the Shadow Stormtroopers). *shrug*

--Jonah

How come we never see a hero with a dorky name? Tarkin has a pretty cool first name. What's up with that - it doesn't happen in real life.

Nah. No problems. Just tossing out an alternate viewpoint. Since EU material currently says the 501st are all Jango clones, and Praji and Jir aren't, I posit the boarding party isn't all 501st. I also think that, although 501st are present, other ships from Vader's squadron deployed troops to Cloud City as well. And I know the Hoth assault was 501st. I'm saying that Vader isn't in direct command, despite often leading the troops. Anakin was a General. Vader is higher in the CoC. That's why he has Veers under him to handle the actual minutiæ of running the Legion, while Vader concentrates on the bigger picture.

Paul, I imagine if the first digit is a zero, it often (but not always) would get left off for convenience -- especially in less-formal transmissions (such as chewing out a trooper for abandoning his post). That would essentially limit each Legion to ten thousand (ish) Stormtroopers. More like 9,999, if there is no xx-0000. I think adding an "oh" or "double oh" in front of a one- or two-digit number would also be a common occurrance.

Here's the list of ID numbers I've found so far:

AF-027 Cloud City Garrison

AF-119 Cloud City Garrison

DV-523 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

DV-692 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

KE-829 Death Star

NT-311 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

NT-757

NT-957 Death Star II

RGA-972 Hoth assault force

ST-103 Tatooine search team, beast-rider

ST-4402 Tatooine search team

TK-104 Cloud City Garrison

TK-119 Death Star

TK-420 Death Star

TK-421 Death Star

TK-577 Devastator, Tantive IV boarding party

TK-875 Death Star

For my own purposes, I plan to be something like "PL-xxxx (TR/TK/TX/BH/AR/CT)". :) Since so much is up to interpretation, that's mine. *heh*

--Jonah

Just a few thing's I'd like to kick out. First Palpatine was the strongest Sith to date and from the start was pulling string's, political pay-off's and play off's, back room skulduggery, the type to rob peter and then pay paul, then kill him too. Never in the front, always safe behind whoever he was using at the time to get closer to his ultimate dream of controll of all. More loyal to self then even to "Sith". He needed an apprentice to complete the "rule of two", but never had any real intent to complete Vader's training, but just to use him, just like the rest. In EP 3 we see him at the end to even lie to Vader, to push him over the edge, to complete his cross-over to the dark side, buy, falsely, telling him HE killed Padme. Anikin would never give her up even to appease Palpatine! Anikin himself stated he would rather 'off" the Emperor, and keep Padme. So with that said, Palpatine knew he could never fully controll the military AND stay on top of the side he was so much better at. Political in-fighting, using one against the other, all the real "dark" side of people. But Vader was a far more real leader as such, more happy at "the front" then playing power politic's. Also all that talk of "duty", honour, the stuff all military force's need to work, especially on a large scale, dose not bread the same type of dark side power fully needed by Palpatine to stay stronger then Vader. Other then a few special troop formation's, fleet ship's, (cloak and dagger type's) ect, It was Vader in charge by in large of ALL fleet(navy) trooper(army) types.In this way Palpatine could keep Vader occupied, show the military who really was in charge, by controlling Vader. Vader LIKED this. In an odd way, even as he called "Palpatine" master,Vader was far more willing to show "loyalty" ,after a fashion, to the military, knowing that the loyalty of "the troop's" was more powerful then the political type's. So all the "designation's" used for the troop's is just pure military managment, for the most part.

How come we never see a hero with a dorky name? Tarkin has a pretty cool first name. What's up with that - it doesn't happen in real life.

Come on... SKY walker?

Hi I am bob bladerunner, Sid Sidewalker, Pete Pitchjammer, Rudy Ridgeracer, Alf Bucketmeister, Garth Sauceskipper, Buddy Mudslinger...

Princess Lara Synthetica, Poly Esther, Dora Androidica, Marion Mechanica

June Aurora, Jade Borealis, Jessie Corona

Darth Malicious, Dart Intrepid, Darth Cunning, Darth Linguist, Darth Board, Darth Miser, Darth Lawyer, Darth Raider, Darth... Sawyer!

I mean not many of those names are VERY much inspired though :P.

Calling an ice cold planet Hoth...

I rest my case :P

yeah and when he wants to make something sound alien he just looks for middle eastern names or just uses plain spanish words.

Mustafar????? C´mon!!!

Darth Patadas, Darth del cuerpo, Darth de Comer, Darth Lastima, Darth las Gracias, Darth Abrazos... and so on.

hopefully spanish languange using members will laugh a bit..

My 2 cents ;)

In EVERY military, a soldier will be issued different sets of gear (as all my military brothers can vouch). ie. Standard duty uniform, Desert/hot weather gear, cold weather gear, Dress uniform, blah blah blah.

So if the 501st (or any legion, squad, etc.) has a standard set of "Duty uniforms", it would be the stormtrooper rig (IF they were stormtroopers). If they are deployed for a tour on hoth, then they would be wearing their cold weather gear. A space walk would require a different rig and so on and so forth. So in this case the "TK-xxx" designation would follow a trooper with whatever set of gear he was wearing.

Make sense???