Detachment Logo - post ideas here!

Daetrin

One other thing we need before we can turn in our app to the Legion is a logo for the detachment.

While people are thinking about names is a great time also to start thinking about what logo you want to represent us.

What do you guys think?

Not bad, but we're not Stormfront.net, and I believe that's because of it's KKK connections.

Yup. I updated the application to be "Stormtrooper Detachment". Unless there is an overwhelming need to change it, I think it will work. Stormtrooper alone still sounds cool after all. :)

Its almost tempting to hijack the names used by some of those fringe groups that thrive on low self-esteem and ignorance. If it weren't for SW, 'stormtrooper' would probably still be associated with the Third Reich in a lot of people's minds. Just goes to show how terms with heavy political/historical baggage can be transformed in the public's perception ;)

The tribal's over on the t-shirt contest thread. If someone wants nominate it here for consideration for a detachment logo, it would give us another choice to vote for.

I don't want to seem biassed, but how does "tribal" say "stormtrooper"? I personaly like the tribal cog, but IMHO it belongs tattooed on someones back, and most likely is.

I certainly don't want my logo to win just by default, but so far it's the only one that's been submited to this thread. Who did the tribal cog? do we have permission to use it? Most of all, do we have permission to change it? I know I feel when my own work is cut and pasted in photoshop. All my work is original. Not bits of stuff found on the net and cut and pasted to change.

I think that this is the same case as our board naming issue in that you can only please some of the people some of the time.

Folks,

Please keep the thread free of any derogatory statements towards sexual preference, race, or religion on the boards. We do not want offend any members and / or have our detachment application disapproved due to misconduct on the boards. Please direct any questions directly to me in a PM.

Thx, Ed

FYI I thought having a Mando slogan on the design might:

1) Make it look more like a military patch, such as the 2nd ACR's "Toujours Pret"

2) Tie in to the Mando continuity established by Karen Traviss from Mando-ARC-TC (and from there to TK).

3) Be a great alternative to English text, or even English in Arebush

I took the liberty of emailing Karen Traviss on her thoughts, her reply is below:

How about "Darasuum" (eternal) or "Darasuum ruusaanyc" (always reliable, which is the equivalent of semper fi.)

I'll have another think. But those two strike me as useful. Loyal, by the way, is verburyc.

FYI I thought having a Mando slogan on the design might:

1) Make it look more like a military patch, such as the 2nd ACR's "Toujours Pret"

2) Tie in to the Mando continuity established by Karen Traviss from Mando-ARC-TC (and from there to TK).

3) Be a great alternative to English text, or even English in Arebush

I took the liberty of emailing Karen Traviss on her thoughts, her reply is below:

The bottom of my logo says "first ones in last ones out" for those of you who don't read Arebush.

I think the tribal cog with 2 E-11 across it and a bucket in front of that, kinda like a take off of the bucket and crossbones would really stand out.

I agree, that one gets my vote

You kill me! I had just cobbled something similar and was about to post. Ugh - I could have kept working and just posted comments to yours. :-p

----------------

I like your overall artwork better, but here the one item I was trying to address is this: most of the designs are probably too complicated to have made into patches. In order to simplify, perhaps try:

-> Use the outlines of the blasters.

-> use a simpler type of helmet - perhaps just the outline of the dark areas like the CTN splash image

-> I was also using Infantry Blue as a nod to US troops (my own addition)

I know some hate it but I still like the cog as a design element. Perhaps just using a single circle as an outside border?

I took a look at a lot of Army patches and noted that some of the best ones (IMO) are simple, like Special Forces and the 10th Mountain.

Perhaps we should just use either the blasters or the helmet, but not both.

Thoughts?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

As this is the last thing we need before turning in our application I'd like to close this up sooner than later. I'll close this thread on Friday 11AUG and we'll vote against what's been submitted by that time.