Stormtooper belts

Aside from what a stormtroopers belt should look like, I have been searching and pondering.

I have a couple of contacts in the fabric industrty, and I have shared with them screen grabs of the belt material that was used. I was referred to someone old enough to know about the older industrial fabrics. He recognized the fabric in the photos and told me that it was two different things we are looking at

We now know that the belts were no doubt fabric; I believe that the belt material was either 4" wide 1/8' thick cotton cargo strap or used fire hose that was sewn flat.

I am very skeptical that the time and money was spent cutting and sewing fabric.

Don't get me wrong; sewn canvas belts look great and I've sewn a lot of them. I have been using a piece of white cove molding for my belt. I think that close up, it looks more convincing than fabric.

Here some pics of very old cargo strap that I'm building a belt out of. This stuff is no longer in production, and of limited source.

Notice the cut edge looks like layered fabric----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Very interesting!

I have always thought they used a found item for the belts. I've searched high and low for cargo straps and lashings, but never actually found anything close enough. I beleive the belts are closer to 3" wide, not 4. The original ANH belts are too straight and perfect to be cut pieces and sewn together, even though the edges are rough/frayed.

Good work :)

I've asked ATA for a few sets of belts/drop boxes as I'd like some real ones to troop with and see how they go. As of yet though, Terrell hasn't responded to my request to send him money :(

I think this is pretty cool. The argument that they would have just taken something already done and cut it to size seems to make more sense than layering canvas and sewing it.

What a journey this costume is - seems there's always something new turning up!

Very interesting! :) I wonder, would your fabric contact be able to come up with a close alternative? Just a thought!

This strapping was regulated by the department of transportation 20+ years ago here in the states. Everyone went to stronger/safer synthetic polypropylene and polyester.

The fellow was very happy to sell me what he had left.

Someone with quite a bit of knowledge told me recently; The argument over belts and what they were made from will never come to an end. We can ponder over what they could have been made from and what they really were. We know they were canvas, but there could be leather or any other material used too, but without solid proof this can neither be proven for or against.

I believe this may be closer to the truth than one single material or found item.

I saw the touring suit a couple years ago when I did gig for the science museum. I was confused by what I saw.

The touring suits are night and day different from the ANH suits. They used poly webbing for the belts, around 50mm, not canvas. Hopefully we can find the original material or item used for the real belts because so far, I have yet to see a truly screen accurate belt from anyone.

I have yet to see a truly screen accurate belt from anyone.

That's because most troopers take pride in their costumes.

And have a bigger budget.

• 3 weeks later...

When you all say cargo strapping... You mean for lifting with a crane Right? The soft straps that lift stuff...

Now have you thought of ship based stuff? I always think low ball on ANH. He had no budget, so cheap would have been the key. I think shipping container ships, military surplus... that stuff.

When I worked on the line building train cars they used the poly, but I have seen canvas and such in foreign ports bringing us supply. Just cause US code changed, does not mean that say Tunisian did... ;)

Then there are the nets. How many belts could be made from a net? :D

• 2 weeks later...

I got a call today from the old codger at the warehouse. He has been looking for 3" cargo strap to save me the work of stripping down and surging the 4" strap that we have available. There is no 3" cargo strap, nor has it ever been produced anywhere at any time for any thing. The 4" strap was first made for conveyor machine pulley belts, and later used as cargo strap. He was very confident in announcing that this is the last of it on the planet.

Today's loom machines are not even capable of producing the tight rigid weave in heavy cotton; They now use semi elastic petroleum based fiber that is a lot easier on the looms. Otherwise I would try to have the right size manufactured.

Which brings me to wonder about the four inch strap and Luke's belt; I think it was the four inch cargo strap that was used, cut down to three inches. If I leave the fringe, it looks spot on to Luke's belt.

This is all speculation of course, but given the era and industrial application of this item, it stands to reason...

---

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed