Can Devcon Plastic Welded pcs be separated?

Hi Everyone,

I assembled my AP arms with the common assembly method of overlapping the strips but after finding out that gluing was not as challenging as I thought, I would have preferred using the method of joining the seams with the extra ABS strip, ANH-style. The thing is that I used Devcon Plastic Welder which basically fuses the 2 pcs of plastic. :o I have tried pulling them apart but am afraid to use too much force as the bond is STRONG and I am afraid I will ruin them.

Has anyone had any luck separating pcs that had been assembled with Devcon plastic welder and if so, what technique(s) do you suggest?

Am I out of luck or can it be done? :unsure:

Thanks for any suggestions!

John

Hi Everyone,

I assembled my AP arms with the common assembly method of overlapping the strips but after finding out that gluing was not as challenging as I thought, I would have preferred using the method of joining the seams with the extra ABS strip, ANH-style. The thing is that I used Devcon Plastic Welder which basically fuses the 2 pcs of plastic. :o I have tried pulling them apart but am afraid to use too much force as the bond is STRONG and I am afraid I will ruin them.

Has anyone had any luck separating pcs that had been assembled with Devcon plastic welder and if so, what technique(s) do you suggest?

Am I out of luck or can it be done? :unsure:

Thanks for any suggestions!

John

well plastic welder melts the actual platic instead of regular glue or epoxy that provides a bonding agent between the pieces. Pretty much the only way to get them apart is to get a chisel shaped exacto knife or similar blade and slowly cut the two pieces apart and sand them/wipe them with paint thinner till its smooth again.

This can be super risky and dangerous, not only your armor but yourself as it requires alot of patience and precise force to do it right and one slip can take off a chunk fo plastic or flesh. I was able to do it with my TE2 only because the welding wasnt very thourough and there were spaces or gaps where the plactic hadnt melted where i could slip the blade in and cut.

Worse case scenario you can do a ROTJ trooper like me :) their arms are suppose to overlap :duim:

I heard you can poop them in the freezer for a couple of hours and then try to pop them apart.

That might be for E6K though...

Dude, you poop in my freezer & we are gonna fight

lol

i think the DEVcon is permanent

it melts the 2 pieces together right?

I have used the X-acto knife/chisel method before, but it wasn't pretty

Yes putting the parts in the freezer will make plastic welder break loose. It does etch into the plastic, but does not melt it like ABS plumbers cement.

Yes putting the parts in the freezer will make plastic welder break loose. It does etch into the plastic, but does not melt it like ABS plumbers cement.

Oooh, thanks. This was what I was hoping for. Do you know how long I should put them in the freezer and the technique to get them apart? Did you do this yourself or did you hear about this from someone else. I would love to hear more details and then decide how to go about actually doing it!

And this is for the 2-part Devcon plastic welder that was/is sold at Wal-Mart, right?

• 1 month later...

Just for the record, I tried the freezer method and had no success with it The only thing that happened is my velcro for the other side which is not glued fell off. I put the forearms in the freezer for almost an hour and those things wouldn't budge at all and I think I pushed them to the limit.

Oh well, it was worth a try.