Best place to get leather dye?

Kev,

haven't gotten around to dyeing mine yet, but this is what I plan on using:

-----

in #617 White -- pretty sure that's the stuff to use.

-C

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

HI kevin i used the tarrago shoe dye that i got from fleabay but am not impressed. I have dyed a pair of chelsea boots myself recently and didnt think much of it.

I used something that came in a yellow box from my local shoe repair place. It did NOT work. After 5 coats I resorted to spraypaint. Even THAT didn't work on the elastic. White fabric paint was needed for that.

You'll need deglazer to take the top seal off, sand it with 800 grit, and spray it iwth nu-life leater spray. 3-4 light coats and it'll look great. Any shoe repair or cobbler should carry it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I didn't want to start a new thread so I'll put this here.

I'm now on my 5th coat of the yellow boxed brand of leather dye and I've come to a realization. Every coat I put on is taking off the coat before and I'm getting no where. I'm thinking I need to go another route at this point.

Has anyone tried using the Rustoleum brand spray paint on a pair of shoes? Seems like it would be the best way of handling the painting.

Madmartigan said:
Kev,

haven't gotten around to dyeing mine yet, but this is what I plan on using:

-------

in #617 White -- pretty sure that's the stuff to use.

-C

I went ahead and did my boots this weekend, and I think they look great! I'm out of town today but will try to post photos this week. Used the Meltonian Color Preparer and really took off all the outer coating and even some of the black dye until they were a nice flat matte black. Put three light coats of the white Nu-Life color spray on and they look terrific. It doesn't dye the elastic much, so I rubbed several coats of el-cheapo white acrylic craft paint from Wal Mart into the elastic to get that closer to white.

Will they scuff up eventually? Sure. That's why I have a second can of color spray -- for touchups along the line. But they look like the real thing to me!

-Chris

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up. I just purchased a bottle of Meltonian Nu-Life Color Preparer and found out that it's simply a bottle of Acetone. Not saying that I got ripped off but if you have Acetone available to you then just use that.