Do all kits need painting?

This may be a bit of a newbie question, but here goes:

I'm considering a TE2 kit, and from what I've seen of the raw pulls, it seems as though they require painting. I'm not talking about details, but is the bulk white of the costume normally painted? I ask because it was my impression that the reason the original armor was switched to the white plastic was so they didn't have to paint the old "fishpond" green stuff they originally used.

its abt sharpness of pulls

TE2 is HIPS - it grabs details more, but is a softer material, tehrefore less durable comapred to ABS. It a matte finish, but have seen some loverly paint jobs

AP is ABS - more durable. shiny white straight out of box. polishable with Novus polish. Detail is ....different. Cos the plastic used, u will find edges have a more "rounded" edge; good example is in the traps in teh forearm armour.

One thing I always wanted to run by Mr X. In the UK we actually have Gloss HIPS. WOuldnt that be a good material for TE2 armour?

In the UK we actually have Gloss HIPS. WOuldnt that be a good material for TE2 armour?

mmmmm, shiny! From what I've seen in terms of range from plastic suppliers, you can get pretty much any finish and thickness. In just about any type of plastic too!

So how does the finish on a painted TK2 compare to a "raw" AP? And is this a major factor, or is it more to do with the overall accuracy (and of course fit)?

I think it depends on who's doing the painting. My first TE2 that was painted by Mike A. looked as good as AP to me. In some ways, better.

Everything that has been said is true. I have a TE2 and it is gorgeous. They take a lot of work compared to others. My only word of caution is to emphasize the fragility of TE2. It's not going to shatter, but you have to be VERY carefull with it. You can't manhandle it in any way. People have had problems with cracks appearing in various areas if you aren't carefull. ABS is considerably more durable. It would be great if we could get a TE2 someday in ABS!!!

YES THE TE2 IN ABS!! That would be sweet ahhh???

The holy grail. I'd buy two suits instantly, price no barrier.