Yellow foam liner

Does anyone know where I can get some yellow foam for the maple leaf shaped helmet liner?

It looks to be roughly 20mm or 3/4" thick from what I can tell. The only stuff I can find here in the UK is blue foam which is no good, so if anyone knows where I can get some (or can get me some ;) ) I would be very grateful.

Cheers!

Does anyone know where I can get some yellow foam for the maple leaf shaped helmet liner?

It looks to be roughly 20mm or 3/4" thick from what I can tell. The only stuff I can find here in the UK is blue foam which is no good, so if anyone knows where I can get some (or can get me some ;) ) I would be very grateful.

Cheers!

I've always wanted this too. Is it possibly from furniture stuffing?

Joe

AFIK when the UK Fire retardent laws changed so did the nature of Foam, unfortunatly the only thing I've ever been able to source is the blue, grey & occasionally the white stuff which all tend to be quite dense foam & not suitable at all.

I'm interested too, if another UK trooper can source some new but original type stuff? but suspect it may need to be imported <_< I could be wrong :unsure:

Found a few links, not sure if it is the right stuff though. Hope this helps Paul.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Thanks for the links Thayne, I'll check them out :duim:

Steve is right about the fire retardant thing. I remember a few years back when I went to buy foam from the guy in the market and he told me a similar story. Something about chemical restrictions in the UK and from a cretain date that only blue foam was available which was fire retardant and the yellow stuff was toxic or something along those lines anyway. The guys down at the tip think I'm a right tramp ripping the stuffing out of old sofa's trying to get a liner for my stormtrooper helmet :lol:

--------

It's in North London, if they don't have it it doesn't exist!!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Yeah 1" is too thick and makes it hard to get the helmet to sit right on your head, especially when you are using the leaf shaped foam.

I've emailed the one in north London so with a bit of luck they will have what I want. Once I find some, I will post a link to wherever I bought it from and I hope anyone else will do the same thing if they find some :)

• 2 weeks later...

The samples arrived and they have two yellow foams, one is closed cell and the other is open. The closed cell foam is like the stuff knee pads are made from and open cell is like the stuff in couches which is what I ordered. The foam itself is perfect, the colour is not. It's a very pale yellow and not deep yellow like what used to be available, so I am still looking for that deep yellow foam and this pale yellow will do for now.

Paul, this is just an idea.....

Have you tried Yellow food colouring in water.

Put a sample of sponge in for a while till it "takes" the colour and then rinse till the colour doesnt bleed any more. Then dry.

You can get food colouring from most supermarkets for about 39p.

I use it normally for colouring rice when cooking.

It might be worth a bash.

cheers

Thanks Chef! That idea had crossed my mind actually :)

I doubt it can be dyed properly because I don't think the dye will stick to man made materials. From what I've read before, dye only sticks to natural materials like cotton and leather, not polyesters and nylons.

I'll give the food dye trick a go. At worst it will stain it and should give a better appearance than the pale yellow at the moment.

I use the tan 1" foam liner from my local fabric supplier. After leaving it in my basement untouched, it has started to 'brown" along the edges after just a few months. I prefer the blue "memory" lining for compfort, but the tan is okay.

No it's not from age. Yellow foam used to be very common here in the UK until they changed the laws and they had to use fire resistant foam which is now blue to help identify the correct materials are being used. It's something along those lines anyway, so don't quote me on that though :P

Might the colourisation be due to the foam aging 30 years?

That would explain alot and does make rather alot of sense!