Building the No 1 Stormtrooper transport!

NAZGÛL

Hi!

One of my all time favorite vehicles from Star Wars is the AT-AT. I have looked at the Revell AT-AT in the stores sometime, thinking that it could be nice with a few mods done to it. A few weeks back I bought one. Over all its a nice kit with a cool size.

The biggest problem with the kit is the head but I decided to mod the original head. I didnt aim for total accuracy, but I still wanted it to feel like a "real" AT-AT.

post-4415-1235420013_thumb.jpg

I cut out the window and reshaped the size and look of the window part. The head side armour is missing (!) on the original model so I made new ones out of plastic. I detailed it and replaced the lower canons, I added details to the side canons too. I used a heat gun and corrected the angle of the armor pieces protecting the lower canons.

post-4415-1235420113_thumb.jpg

I know it isnt 100 % like the original, but I still like how it turned out.

I sanded the body to remove the raised details and then scribed new ones. This was the first kit I scribed and it was a good kit to start on, being so big and having so straight edges. I painted and washed it before I started to assemble the legs.

post-4415-1235420238_thumb.jpg

I will now start to work on the pins that connect the leg and feet. The original parts dont look right. I will also remake the plates on the higher leg joints.

Finally I will continue the paint job with drybrushing etc.

If youre on the fence about getting this kit Id say go for it. Its really fun to build but it needs some love to be right.

Cheers.

Cool project, it's not often you see many model's/props on the forum :)

I once did the big ship with the firbe-optic thingies, that was when I was younger & it was no way near as nice as the kit in your pic's. B) I had a few other model's/kit's but my my talents were in different directions <_<

So how tall does the Revell AT-AT stand when it's completed?

Yeah I remeber that one! I bet your looked great. I actually have its cousin on my shelf. ;) Its the same model without the optics. I built it many years ago and its the oldest kit I kept through all the years.

No I dont have the skill to pull a good diorama off.

That's pretty cool. 32 cm. Yeah, I did build the little one. I bet it wasn't even 20 cm. At the time I scratch built a little speeder that I attached with a wire. Looked like it was wrapping a cable around the legs. Now I want to build another one. :rolleyes:

Yeah I built that one too. But mine had a few rebel canons and a speeder included in the kit :) . Was nice and actually pretty accurate right from the box. The Revell kit needs more work, but comes out better IMO.

The sad thing, if I understood correctly, is that the Revell AT-AT is way more expensive in the States since you have to pay for the shipping (its made by Revell Germany).

• 8 months later...

wow thats awesome!!!!

Its weahterd and all!!!!!!! very cool

no i havent touched a model for 25 plus years but it would be some thing to try out.