how many times am i going to paint the frown?

TK-7828

Just painted the frown and the vocoder...looks like the vocoder is ready after only one paint...however the grey Humbrol color was crap comparing to the black one...the black was so much thicker...

How many times do you guys paint the frown when you build helmets?

thanks for answears

Have a nice one

/Andreas

Is this another competition? lol.. whats the prize?

Sometimes the humbrol grey can be a little watery, so you may need a couple of coats. I sometimes find that on unpainted abs helmets they need 2 coats maybe more and painted helmets need only 1 coat.

I use Humbrol gray, and one thing I learned real fast is you have to shake it, mix it and shake some more. If you don't the color can very different out of the same bottle and the consistency can vary alot too.

The Humbrol grey is terrible. Every tin I buy is the same. It's thin and streaky, and you really have to mix it well to get any kind of good coating. I mix it up with the handle of my paint brush, stirring it really fast, then scrape of any thick stuff into the rim of the paint tin and use that to paint with.

Most of the other colours seem fine, and only need a quick stir to get a nice covering, though I have had a similar problem with satin black.

Thank good there is more that have had this prob...

I was thinking of going down to the store and return the crap.....

This picture is when i have painted it 3 times....i dont know if ill have to paint it more? but this is a very water like color...dont like it at all....i tried to paint the ab buttons but the color just ran of it....yuukk :)

Hey Andreas,

have you tried adding a darker tone with the Humbrol grey?

Very occasionally I'll mix a small batch of one colour from a couple of paint sources as long as their the same base i.e. enamal, then make a test swab to get an acurate "as possible" mix & then apply?

it's a bit of messing around initially but it saves time & energy in the long run. Just a thought :huh:

Did you remember to wait at least 6 hours between the first and second coat? If you don´t do that the second coat will make the first one all runny again, and everything goes to hey...

Think I did 3-4 thin coats on mine, still had to touch up a few spots after it had dried for a couple of days.

sublime78 said:
Yepp i wait 1 day between the layers... Will add anotherone tomorrow and if that doesent become darker i will just leave it with this color :(

I shaked it and shaked it and then shaked it a bit more.....what do you know...the color changed to a more greyone :)

Thanks for the tips