Bumpy Cap & Smooth Cap -- Origins?

I apologize if this is answered somewhere else, but do the smooth and bumpy caps originate from two separate helmets, or did someone just extensively clean up the bumpy mold to create a derivative smooth version?

Also-- I know the AP (and earlier GF) cap is smooth, and TE had a smooth cap as well. Are those the only two from the screen-used lineage with the smooth cap? Has there ever been a TE2 or GINO smooth cap version?

Just curious.... been scratching my head about it for the last couple days.

Thanks to anyone who can set me straight on this!

I'm not sure but I think TE2 might have made a bumpy cap and made it smooth with some filler and sanded it down. Because someone didn't like his helmet bumpy. Or something like that..

You're almost correcto mundo brah...

It was "TE" who had to fabricate a "smoothie" to accomodate the troopers who were not happy with the bumpy cap & back.

T :salute:

Thanks for filling me in, guys!

I knew I had seen photos of smooth-cap TE's before, and now I know the back story.

I appreciate you passing on your knowledge-- it's always fun to learn somethin' new about trooper stuff!

As a few people were nice enough to enlighten me, I now understand that the TE smooth cap involved creating a duplicate cap mold from the original, which was then filled and sanded quite a bit to create a nice smooth finish, which a lot of trooper customers were requesting, as they were interested in having a more idealized version.

Judging from photos, it also looks like TE had someone sharpen up the ridge in the back a little bit, as well as enhance the traps.

To me, the bumpy version seems more like a "used" object, and stays truer to the screen, but the smooth cap looks more homogeneous and mechanically produced, like something you'd expect a cold, implacable Empire to manufacture. I like 'em both, but I think I lean more towards the bumpy version-- I like all the little quirks.

Again, my thanks to those who responded and taught me something new! :salute:

I seem to recall Gino offering a smooth cap Hero once on fleabay, side by side with a bumpy cap Stunt. I remeber one of them going for a grand but cant remeber which one it was. Its been over a year ago.

What is it that makes a Smoothie different from a Bumpy? Just filling in the artefacts from the damage to the mould over so many repeated pulls?

--Jonah

The bumps did not result from pulls, but how the molds were made initially, as was discussed here some time ago.

And the Empire dang sure would make perfectly perfect armor for...pacification :trooper:

J

Actually, thanks, Joe. I've been looking at the cap'n'backs of my TE2 WIPs again this morning. I had been remembering the areas that need to be filled in, that look like mould damage, and forgotten all the little irregular raised bumps. I see/know exactly what you're talking about now.

--Jonah

Yep, I like the bumpy cap of the TE2 for sure! Much more "true-to-life" if that makes sense.

If I'm going to go with idealized I'm going to have a MR CE (which I do have) and fill in all the gaps, and make it just completely "perfect" as far as no "flaws."

The flaws are what make the TE2 a beautiful, accurate, thing in my opinion though. :)

LOL I don't think Doug meant "weird," I think he meant "WORD" as in word to to your mother, as in "COOL!" As in Yeah baby....

:headphone:

Werd. :D :D :D

Scott is correct-- I was using some of that fakakte street lingo the kids are all meshuggena about. ;)