Side Gap Fill problem

I used the spare abs from my FX belt to fill the side gaps on my TK suit. I abs glued it to the kidney piece, but I don't have a lot of room to velcro the ab section onto the other side. I don't want the velcro pokin' out, but I also cannot abs glue it either. I was thinking of strapping the inside somehow. Do the side gap fills have to be flush with the ab and kidney sections or can they be more loose as if I had used a piece of canvas or such underneath to keep it all together. Any ideas would be great. Thanks guys. :D

I personally use canvas to fill my sidegaps, which at the moment is elite passable.

I find it more comfortable than solid plastic and looks ok.

With your arms down most of the time most people dont notice..

899320profile.jpg

The point is to close the gap. I used extra sheets of ABS I bought at the hobby store and used velcro on each side so they were easy to place and remove and I could cut and adjust the sheets to a size that would accommodate my ever expanding frame. :D

Personally, I would use something that is large enough to velcro or snap in so that it offers some flexibility but still looks good (the canvass sounds like a great idea). Its all about making it look good and as comfortable to wear as possible.

The point is to close the gap. I used extra sheets of ABS I bought at the hobby store and used velcro on each side so they were easy to place and remove and I could cut and adjust the sheets to a size that would accommodate my ever expanding frame. :D

Personally, I would use something that is large enough to velcro or snap in so that it offers some flexibility but still looks good (the canvass sounds like a great idea). Its all about making it look good and as comfortable to wear as possible.

is that so? i did not realise that....

the great majority of pics ive seen show a gap there.

edited: pictures of 501st troopers that is. not screencaps.

In a perfect world your ab plate and kidney plate would meet and butt up against each other.

Yeah, I don't live in a perfect world. :) I found a plastic posterboard at Staples that was a similar color and feel to the ABS. I riveted it to my kidney plate and use velcro to close it with my ab plate. Helps to keep my ab plate in place as well.

In a perfect world your ab plate and kidney plate would meet and butt up against each other.

Yeah, I don't live in a perfect world. :) I found a plastic posterboard at Staples that was a similar color and feel to the ABS. I riveted it to my kidney plate and use velcro to close it with my ab plate. Helps to keep my ab plate in place as well.

cool. guess i have another thing to add to the list heh.

cool. guess i have another thing to add to the list heh.

Only if you want elite status. I don't think it's required for 501st entry alone. Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll try the velcro and see how it handles and go with a canvas strip underneath if all else fails. :)

Nope, not a requirement for 501st at all. Ideally people would do a seamless shim like clones do, but this is really only practical if you paint the armor (all clones are painted, as are TE2 TK's). Since this was a bit much to ask of people for ABS armor we decided to just state that the side gap needed to be filled. Ideally it would be done with an ABS shim. I think at some point it will be tightened up to state as such, but for now the main goal of Elite is just to tighten up the very loose 501st standards, not go for perfection.

Phil ... sorry brother. I assumed that since you were trying to close the gap, you were trying to close it completely. I guess you are just trying to hold the front and back of the two pieces together?

As has been pointed out, its not a 501st requirement but it certainly helps with the stability of the two pieces. You've obviously gotten a lot of good ideas; let us know how it turns out.