Star Wars Article June 1977 Starlog

Sandman

I found this while rumaging through some of my old magazines and I though you all might find it interested. This is an article from Starlog published in June 1977. At the time of printing Star Wars had not yet been released into theaters. Things were still pretty hush hush about this new space film by 20th Century Fox. I love they way they called the Light Sabre, a laser sword and a laser sabre, and the concept paintings are pretty cool as well. One month later George would forever change the world and make my life a helluva lot more expensive, for 30 plus years I have endeviored every day to give George at least some of my paycheck :P ..enjoy...

Note: if you find it difficult to read just copy it to a file on you computer and open it up, the printing will be sharp as a pin.

StarLog6June1977SWArticleFramed.jpg

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /172/7/31/57/25...88PiJAPv_fs.jpg on this server.

Anyone else getting this message from the link? Using firefox...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /172/7/31/57/25...88PiJAPv_fs.jpg on this server.

Anyone else getting this message from the link? Using firefox...

Arghhh!!!...Sorry Webshots is still kind of suspect when it comes to images sharing abilities, the developers still got some work to do if they wanna make the site reliable. I reloaded on trusty photobucket. I should be fine now.

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. I used to love buying Starlog. I'm pretty sure my first issue was after Star Wars came out. It was immediately dissected and hung on my wall so all the best pages could be seen at once. Somewhere I have a picture of my SW magazine wall. I'd sit there staring at all the pictures and listening to the cassette recording I made of the movie after sneaking my tape deck into the theater. I must have listened to that tape a thousand times. I can still hear that audience in my head every time I watch Ep4. I can't even remember the last time I saw a movie where everyone was so excited. Clapping, cheering and yelling at Darth Vader all the way through.

Fun times. :)

That was a fun read, Paul-- thanks for bringin' it to our attention. :duim:

I'm really glad they didn't go with "The Power". Just doesn't have the same ring as "The Force".

Although, I think James Earl Jones still could've managed to make it sound pretty cool, I bet.

And in the later movies, you know Samuel L. Jackson could have made that sound bad-a$$ and militant as hell. :D

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. I used to love buying Starlog. I'm pretty sure my first issue was after Star Wars came out. It was immediately dissected and hung on my wall so all the best pages could be seen at once. Somewhere I have a picture of my SW magazine wall. I'd sit there staring at all the pictures and listening to the cassette recording I made of the movie after sneaking my tape deck into the theater. I must have listened to that tape a thousand times. I can still hear that audience in my head every time I watch Ep4. I can't even remember the last time I saw a movie where everyone was so excited. Clapping, cheering and yelling at Darth Vader all the way through.

Wow, I thought maybe I was the only one who ever snuck a tape recorder into the theater!! It was one of those old fairly large portable cassette recorders. About 14 inches long by about 10 inches wide and about 6 inches thick. I wore a pair of oversized pants so I could shove it down my crotch. Wore about three shirts to try to cover up the HUGE bulge at my belly. Had to take a flashlight in so I could check the tape and know when to turn it over and when to put in a new tape. Made my buddy pay for both our tickets so I could stand away from the ticket booth to hopefully not be noticed. The recording was terrible, especially since the sound in our old theater was garbage to begin with. But,Oh Man, was I proud of those tapes. I listened to them at least a thousand times. Over the years they began to squeak really bad because I left them in my car and the heat ruined them. But what fun they were. Remember this was waaaaaay before vcrs.

LOL. I wish I'd thought of that back then, I owned a casett recorder too, although it was quite large I probably coould have snuk it in. :)

Wow, I thought maybe I was the only one who ever snuck a tape recorder into the theater!! It was one of those old fairly large portable cassette recorders. About 14 inches long by about 10 inches wide and about 6 inches thick. I wore a pair of oversized pants so I could shove it down my crotch. Wore about three shirts to try to cover up the HUGE bulge at my belly. Had to take a flashlight in so I could check the tape and know when to turn it over and when to put in a new tape. Made my buddy pay for both our tickets so I could stand away from the ticket booth to hopefully not be noticed. The recording was terrible, especially since the sound in our old theater was garbage to begin with. But,Oh Man, was I proud of those tapes. I listened to them at least a thousand times. Over the years they began to squeak really bad because I left them in my car and the heat ruined them. But what fun they were. Remember this was waaaaaay before vcrs.

HA HA! You're the first person I've ever ran into that did the same thing. Thanks for reigniting my memory of the tape change. :lol: Those old tape decks would make a big clunk when the tape ran out. Then the noisy fast flip in the dark. I wish I still had them. It would be a blast to hear the audience again after all these years.