HOWTO: Make snap plates

Stuktatrooper removed the picture album, so the images no longer work. Regardless, snap plates are one of the easiest things to make. It's simply a square of plastic (I make them 1.5" square) with a hole drilled in middle, with a male snap installed through it. Your webbing or elastic has the corresponding female snap for attaching your suspenders / harness.

Most people use the Tandy line 24 sized snaps and use the flat bottom backing for the male snap. I've found that depending on the size of the plastic square, it can sometimes be hard to get the plate to sit flat to be glued on the inside of your armor. I use 1/8" x 1/8" rivets and a small washer to install the male snap, and simply flatten the inside of the rivet with a hammer / flat end of a bolt. This creates only a very small bump under the snap plate and it sits more flush allowing the adhesive to have more surface area to bond.

This is the link to another way to create the snap plates (linking here as a few people asked for it, not to derail from Stuka's thread)

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Not sure what happened with the links, but the set is available here.

Awesome. Thanks! This photoset is one of my favorite build references... now all I need is for my armor get here felixsmiley.gif

Aloha,

-Eric

• 10 months later...

How thick is your ABS? What are you trying to connect? Can you upload a picture?

A lot of us use webbing instead of ABS to fabricate a snap "plate", but it might not work depending upon where you are working.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...