I think I need a larger helmet

Hello all, I currently have an AP kit and it's awesome but I think I need a larger bucket.  When wearing it on troops I have to tilt it forward to see clearly out of it and with the fans and batteries mounted it's a bear to get it on and the tip of my nose touches the front which can be annoying.  I hate to buy another bucket but I want it to fit as well as possible.  I think it needs to sit a little lower on my head and have some more room front to back.  Are there any vendors that produce a little bigger helmet?

I have a pretty big head and manage with a standard sized helmet.

From what you are saying it sounds more like you need to adjust the fit rather than the size.

Can you show a picture of the inside?

• Like 1

I have an AP kit and helmet and I have to wear glasses in the bucket too.  So between the battery and the fans and glasses it is a bit of a performance to get it on and off however I manage it.  I had to add padding in all sorts of places to keep my nose from rubbing against the inside and I had to adjust the top padding to get it to sit fairly decent on my head and let me see out the best I could.  It's not pretty inside, but it will works and it is totally okay to go that route of padding in and out to get the fit feeling good.

Bart

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Firemantrooper said:

Hello all, I currently have an AP kit and it's awesome but I think I need a larger bucket.  When wearing it on troops I have to tilt it forward to see clearly out of it and with the fans and batteries mounted it's a bear to get it on and the tip of my nose touches the front which can be annoying.  I hate to buy another bucket but I want it to fit as well as possible.  I think it needs to sit a little lower on my head and have some more room front to back.  Are there any vendors that produce a little bigger helmet?

Perhaps you could try adjusting the padding? Also make sure you are putting the helmet on sideways then twist when your nose is in.

sml_gallery_14191_19_109513.jpg

Largest helmet out there would be AM (DDD), perhaps ask around your garrison you may be able to try on other helmets to see what size differences there are.

Posted (edited)

Sorry I was on my way to a troop yesterday and didn't have a chance to post up some pictures.  One issue I think I have is when I glued the two halves together I have the brow a little to low which reduces the area for the top of my head to go.  I used E6000 so It would be a bear to undo.  I'm not sure if I had moved the brow area up if that would have helped or not.  Front to back is still a little tight but manageable.  I do have to rotate it to get it on.  Excuse the tape, everything is temporary until I get a few troops in to see how it all works. nU2JqX5.jpg Rc5hn8u.jpg

Edited by Firemantrooper

That helmet line takes up a lot of space, I use a 5mm piece of foam at the top of my head and a block of foam on each side in front of my ears to stop any wobbling, may be worth trying that.

E6000 is pretty easy to separate, usually just needs a little force but sometimes running a knife between can also help remove.

Fans could come off the sides and put further forward, in the recess around the mic tips. Having the big battery pack on the back also reduces available room, I use 2 4  x 4AA battery packs in the lower cheek recess on the sides.

I would try your liner first then see how much room you have to play with.

That helmet line takes up a lot of space, I use a 5mm piece of foam at the top of my head and a block of foam on each side in front of my ears to stop any wobbling, may be worth trying that.

E6000 is pretty easy to separate, usually just needs a little force but sometimes running a knife between can also help remove.

Fans could come off the sides and put further forward, in the recess around the mic tips. Having the big battery pack on the back also reduces available room, I use 2 4  x 4AA battery packs in the lower cheek recess on the sides.

I would try your liner first then see how much room you have to play with.

I have the thinnest piece of foam at the top after having a thicker piece and the sight is so much better now and the neck part of the helmet doesn’t dig into my throat when i look down anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2024 at 4:29 PM, BAZINGA said:

I have an AP kit and helmet and I have to wear glasses in the bucket too.

That's an achievement! I had to get contacts just for my bucket.

As another idea, here is how mine is setup:

337BSSdl.jpg

I can only just get my head in doing the TK twist but once in it is a nice firm fit and stays where I put it.

The grey pads are "tactical" pads available from the usual suspect pretty cheaply. I did replace the provided Velcro on most as it had terrible adhesive. I use 25mm Velcro brand squares for those.

The round one doesn't really do much other than set the hight for my eyes, the 4 pads on the side are what holds things in place. 

rjunRJul.jpg

At the front I have the fans tucked up inside the cheeks so they are well out of the way. The power switches you can see at the back of the helmet where I can reach them in armour, and the battery is a USB power bank I fit between the fans at the front on a bit of Velcro.

At one point I used a Bluetooth microphone which you can see the Velcro for. I stopped using this as at larger conventions the wireless interference caused too many issues.