JeffD

JeffD

Hi,

My name is Jeffrey.

My Cadet # is 3040.

I would like to post my 1st build thread here.

I will be purchasing armor tomorrow, from a friend i met, who is also a member of the 501st.

It is an Anvos kit.25575.thumb.jpeg.8f6f136d7056393ef1f3a7554ae97644.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

You can find a lot of helpful threads here

You can also check with references in our gallery sections

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Here's what I use and really like: https://www.michaels.com/product/dritz-heavy-duty-snap-pliers-10664599?michaelsStore=9601&inv=4

I buy these snaps: https://www.michaels.com/product/silver-heavy-duty-snaps-by-loops-threads-10354209?michaelsStore=9601&inv=3

As you know, there are many other snap pliers and snaps out there that work really well as well. What it tends to come down to is what you can find of the right quality and price for you based on what you are able to access. 

11 hours ago, JeffD said:

Could some one let me lnow what type/brand of snap pliers i should by?

There's just so many different kinds.

Thanks.

Some kits of snaps come with some tools, a post and base and you use a hammer 

OeyyWNo.jpg

A great thread on snaps

Most information you will need for building you will find in this thread

Good luck with your build. Lots of great resources right here which the folks have shared above.

Seems like your armour might have been stored for a while - it’s getting that Anovos yellowing in spots. Nothing a peroxide treatment won’t solve

If you’re intending to later apply for Level 3 Centurion your helmet may not pass due to the seperate vocoder - just a FYI and if you’re so inclined

I struggle with the mortise-pestle snap tools, so I bought a Prym Vario Tool which has the capability for a fitting for snaps. https://www.amazon.com/Prym-Vario-Pliers-79-5-Purple/dp/B000P1ASDI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=1GR8GCK0IP6FU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.b9-8SWYw19u3qPkwBq7Pr5HLk6_8rfCKKdIKXMkdN5qD3Opp35EDrHzcvgUlLxygmJsAEMHNCybOAsmM8nU70iC51MVZAP-xBnZiiKBuQezMTcrHA43e9r_mtFdO6GJEFbdqSPHy1fEXzuKEd14p_-yXtK-1oQ5xYdoO3v0eNIGBYcU2QPMpcAVQYtJHuQzG0aDuwEKYtHDKnRlNesjGKw.yOcmpAg6exBE5z4DMsS0jPT1h9_gqrDodot5Wm-lmpI&dib_tag=se&keywords=prym+vario+pliers&qid=1713053831&sprefix=prym+vario+%2Caps%2C694&sr=8-2

Prym include the fitting with their snaps. I used the camping snaps, but they’re very similar to the heavy duty anorak snaps. https://www.amazon.com/Prym-390332-Non-sew-Fasteners-Goldfarbig/dp/B00E4IWQVU/ref=mp_s_a_1_33?crid=T5S60F481KDR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.J6X4bTwRAc2hG33RB7xecoS1u8liB1uTj5E8_2W_lFd7pO8AQi8QBNmSAeEjQhhefxgjPxgKuLIyC6Ah4qULbTzu_SYJmZNjnmL_ldFl8O96eaPvwnbROwTUi9mg8nJV9JHtBTlxFfd_uI0ZfEPCKNzYIDn0LImeaqsfGCuLt3jczY4m1J7qFNmZ7SzRFwwLjqzlDVjKVsPSR9zT190SOA.BJXJD6sXtQyb3LrOLPsd8Xf-GxjmixuHV5SFJcDvBzU&dib_tag=se&keywords=prym%2Bsnaps&qid=1713054157&sprefix=prym%2Bsnaps%2Caps%2C678&sr=8-33&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rudi. That's a big help!

Im off to a slow start.

Trying figure out how to send pics of the othet parts but having issues with file size.

• Like 1

I have downloaded the Imgur photo app ony phone and read the forum which helps to explain how.

Ive tried many things and had my wife try and help me.  Cannot get my photos from the apps gallery to this forum.

Could someone help me with this please.

I don't use the app, I prefer to open a mobile internet browser and upload, copy/paste from that. Joseph's tutorial should cover mobile uploading.

If on computer (or mobile browser) once you've uploaded to Imgur you can just right click select copy and paste the image link directly into your post/thread.

Normally there are a few options for links to your images I find the "direct link" works best for me. 

• Like 1

Z3Wg99C.jpeg

Nice, try using the link with .jpeg or .jpg on the ends ;) 

jpeg.jpg.11a89ee32cdb7041dfc7c171b8b660b6.jpg

1 minute ago, JeffD said:

Ok, thanks!

What does that do differently?

Your image above does not show, using the link with the file extension normally will show, it's just how some forum software works, as an example I posted your image earlier using the .jpeg and it worked

1 hour ago, JeffD said:

What kind of utility knife works best for trimming out the armor?

I read someone was using curved lexon scissors...

Hey Jeff - I'm a fan of lexan shears for rough cutting (but it helps to have a couple different types/shapes of scissor because you will absolutely get blisters or hand cramps), then I smooth out my cuts with a belt sander and one of these big flappy wheels on a Dremel/rotary tool, and finish with emory boards for a smooth, pinch/bite-free, slightly-rounded edge. Links for inspiration, but shop around.

Luckily on Anovos kits, the cut lines on the inside edge of the armor are easy and like 90% accurate if you're a standard sized trooper, so I usually mark them with a pencil, rough cut, then sneak up on my line with sanding. I only use a utility knife (AND A CUT GLOVE) and a metal ruler (with some magnets) to cut my coverstrips in straight lines really, which isn't needed for this kit (unless you make inner cover strips, which you should!). I know some people score-n-snap, but I haven't found many places on the armor that it's super practical/safe for me to do. Oh and wear a respirator. Hope that helps!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, JeffD said:

Looks like you added .jpeg as text to your link needs to be the full address.

You can also right click on the image in Imgur then copy and paste directly into your post, should have the full link with extension

NlE5pec.jpeg

Yep, that's how I've been putting the links in, by copy and paste.

Just doesn't show an option to send as jpeg, probably because of my phone's limitations.