In the ongoing saga of me not finishing what I have already started, and making things harder than they need to be: I present my new handguards build thread.  Why buy something when you can make it your self for multiple times more money!

At my last troop I noticed my gloves are starting to perish, not surprising given they are almost 8 year old rubber gloves.  I also thought I could use some new handguards.  The ones I have are silicone due to a latex allergy in the house, and they never where really as nice a moulding as I would have liked.

Problem is they are not made anymore, the chap who made them moved on and rather than ask around "it can't be that hard".  Which is always a terrible thought.

As mentioned I don't believe the ones I have are currently made, I believe the moulds where first made by Sonneschein.  Though I thought that have an appealing shape that matches the armour well.  So I have based mine on these, but will be starting from scratch, no recasting here.

I took a photo of the better of my gloves as square on as I could get it.  This was imported into Fusion 360, and I got to work.  For the most part these are not overly complex items.  The hard parts turned out to be the taper towards the thumb, and then getting all of the various round overs to interact nicely.  

Once I had a first draft I printed one on my Prusa Mk2.5S.  This wasn't intended to be a final item, but a quick test to check size, shape that sort of thing.

It needed a few minor tweaks to the length and a few heights and I think I have something that will work.

YLKQClAl.jpg

Dg8G2CEl.jpg

UB67aDOl.jpg

The next step will first to change the year on the bottom to 2024, and then mirror the files to get a right version.

Once that's done I plan on getting a clean pair printed in resin to start the road to mould masters.

On 1/1/2024 at 12:16 PM, themaninthesuitcase said:

Problem is they are not made anymore

As mentioned I don't believe the ones I have are currently made, I believe the moulds where first made by Sonneschein. 

The silicone guards I currently sell are from the original Sonneschein molds I purchased when she stopped making them back in 2016.  When you get ready to start the molding/casting process, hit me up and I can give you some advice if you need it.  :D

• Like 1