Questions

xurbit

Hi everyone! I'm sorry if this question has already been answered but I just wanted some input before I make a big error. Likewise thank you for your time in reading this along with your co-operation and any feedback would be most grateful.

I've started some work and completed some of the limbs piece, I'm now up to the belt and was wondering should I be using the two plastic strips for it, or should I used "Vinyl material" (which I already bought) I've look on the site by TK300.

http://www.tonybarnett.plus.com/beltmod.html

(own and copyright by TK300)

and decided to do a similar belt modification, however the only thing concerns me is that if I do purchase a radio pouch as well as blaster for the holster, I fear the weight of it may drag the belt down. Vinyl isn't strong and I couldn't find any leather type material. On the other hand if I use the two plastic strips, it be pretty difficult as I already used it for spare parts. What do you guys think? :unsure:

Another issue I have is head amour, I drilled the holes already but I miss calculated and drilled this hole to close to the center of the big two holes, is there any way I can fill it up? I was thinking of gluing blue-tak but I'm not sure hot glue would make it strong enough and thus causing it to make more "nasty." I could also use this for my forearm piece after hot gluing them, the edges are firmly tight but there are wider gaps in the center, so I thought I could fill it up using some plastic filler if possible.

Also you know how the stormtrooper has the O2 Tank? Dose that go on the belt or somewhere else on the back piece?

Any help would be most grateful!! Thanks for your time and happy thanks giving!!

Yours Truly,

Xurbit

With the belt Im using a canvas belt made by Firebladejedi on here. It is fixed by 3 poppers near the front and I have velcro stuck to the belt and armour at the back so mines pretty solid. You do get a little droop but not much. But then again they did in the movies.

If you have a hole to fill I would try and buy yourself a leather punch. And then punch out anouther piece from a spare bit of Abs and then glue that into your hole that was drilled by mistake.

The O2 i think your on about is the Thermal detonator and that attaches to the back of the belt via bent pieces of metal or Abs is what is on mine and this simple slips over the belt. I have a little bit of velcro on mine and that once slipped over the belt attaches to the piece of velcro on my armour that holds the belt aswell. Just to try and stop the little darlings nicking it on a troop B)

I'd suggest putting your vox in the helmet and not in a pouch. Alternatively you can put a speaker behind your chest plate. TK's really shouldn't have side pouches anyway.

I concur that the FBJ holsters have a plastic insert and carry the weight of a blaster very well. If you had a real de-act sterling you an always add additional velcro to the left side to hold that belt to the ab/kidney.

I dont really know whay the old boys have the idea that the belts on the stormtroopers were made from leather. I have never seen any evidence to show thats what was used, however there is evidence that the belts were in actual fact made from canvas.

IIRC using leather was an idea given by Deal Plantamura on his site back in the day before we knew to use canvas. This was about 2005 or so. The first person to bring up canvas belts that I recall was TE (Matt). This was back on MEPD before FISD was created.

I remember this because that's why I switched from plastic to leather on my first FX suit back in 2005 for this reason.

Thanks paul was there ever any evidence do you remember or was it mainly guess work.

For leather? No evidence, just guesswork.

For canvas? TE went to the LFL archives, can't recall the other evidence though of course now it's not even in doubt.

It's funny that it took so many years of plastic belts before people even thought to question it. Now of course it seems obvious in hindsight.

That's a great looking site... he doesn't have a way to contact him via the site, so if anyone knows him let him know-----

Great stuff!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

For leather? No evidence, just guesswork.

For canvas? TE went to the LFL archives, can't recall the other evidence though of course now it's not even in doubt.

It's funny that it took so many years of plastic belts before people even thought to question it. Now of course it seems obvious in hindsight.

Yep i was on about the leather, ive seen the archive pics for the canvas ;)