Screen Accurate 3D files for ROTK

chanders

It seems like there are a few go-to 3D files everyone is using while printing their RO TKs (cgTrader to be exact). Its June 2023, are there any designers who have put out an accurate set of 3D files? I know Paul Prentice is light years ahead with the mudtroopers (and some of the parts are interchangeable). 

If anyone knows of a complete resource, please let me know as I believe this would be invaluable for anyone thinking about 3D printing their armor. 

On 6/15/2023 at 6:25 PM, chanders said:

It seems like there are a few go-to 3D files everyone is using while printing their RO TKs (cgTrader to be exact). Its June 2023, are there any designers who have put out an accurate set of 3D files? I know Paul Prentice is light years ahead with the mudtroopers (and some of the parts are interchangeable). 

If anyone knows of a complete resource, please let me know as I believe this would be invaluable for anyone thinking about 3D printing their armor. 

Shiv,
Thanks for the interest in 3d printable kits. I've posted quite a bit on the forum about this topic and unfortunately my news isn't ever promising. However, since I've talked about it rather frequently and you can search around for what I've written, I'll just hit the wave tops here. First, just check out what I wrote a couple weeks ago regarding OT armor:

1. Yes, it's 2023 and three years ago we heard that both Paul and Nico were designing 3D TK armor; by now we should have seen something materialize. However, I've spoken with both of them multiple times over the last three years and unfortunately, it doesn't look like either is interested in moving forward with this project.

2. CG Trader will get your feet wet, but a lot of these models have horrible design features and even the ones that appear the most accurate aren't. Team this up with 3D modelers who don't seem to understand costumes in general, what you get are 3D prints that are better suited for making sixth scale action figures rather than something that meets legion specifications without heavy modification. What I mean by this is that the majority of the models I've downloaded and tested have excruciatingly rough meshes and shell thicknesses of up to 1/4" that can't simply be altered through slicing software. If you go through my 3D build thread, go to the part where I discuss the thighs and shins. No person deserves that kind of punishment.

3. The 3D models available on CG Trader were mostly developed utilizing Mesh Mapping which doesn't account for certain discrepancies, or intricacies of the screen used design. The intentional eye bump is a good example of this. Mesh mapping will capture and correct images, then build it into a 3d model. Unless the designer is intimately familiar with the costume, they're not going to correct what the computer did for them. 

4. This lack of knowledge of the costumes is a big reason why we get a lot of designers who blow you off when you offer a suggestion. My designer made almost every change I asked for and they've continued to update the kit since. But, the design changes that would have been much more technical went unchanged i.e. totally redesigning the chest, cod, butt, legs. Ultimately, I had to make a ton of changes after the fact and I failed to annotate all of them.

3D printing does have its place in the world of TKs though. I've used this technology extensively in my most recent build and I would challenge anyone to tell me what parts of this kit are printed and which are fiberglass. Here I am two weeks ago:

K3QSz9Z.jpg

Lol. I'm just doing a little pre-troop adjustment, but when finished correctly 3D prints are great.

So, where does that leave us? Currently, there's no accurate file sets out there and our trusted modelers appear to have 0 desire to make TK armor. The amount of work required to get something printed, finished and approved far surpasses buying a kit from our reputable dealers. If you're interested in supplementing an existing kit with 3d pieces, there's options out there, but accuracy will cost you some money. Paul won't piece out his kit if you only wanted the legs for example and others out there are all kinds of messed up.

I'm not going to talk badly about anyone's 3D kits, but look closely at what they're showing and you'll start noticing huge issues.

Finally, because of this lack of good 3D files, I've started designing my own, but they're a ways off and I'm already loaded with other projects. Regardless, Here's a pic of the abdominal armor I'm developing and I'll be doing the chest and back next. I'm not Mesh Mapping, this is all from the ground up.

fIRJsEd.png

• Like 3

On 6/22/2023 at 1:22 PM, BigJasoni said:

Shiv,
Thanks for the interest in 3d printable kits. I've posted quite a bit on the forum about this topic and unfortunately my news isn't ever promising. However, since I've talked about it rather frequently and you can search around for what I've written, I'll just hit the wave tops here. First, just check out what I wrote a couple weeks ago regarding OT armor:

1. Yes, it's 2023 and three years ago we heard that both Paul and Nico were designing 3D TK armor; by now we should have seen something materialize. However, I've spoken with both of them multiple times over the last three years and unfortunately, it doesn't look like either is interested in moving forward with this project.

2. CG Trader will get your feet wet, but a lot of these models have horrible design features and even the ones that appear the most accurate aren't. Team this up with 3D modelers who don't seem to understand costumes in general, what you get are 3D prints that are better suited for making sixth scale action figures rather than something that meets legion specifications without heavy modification. What I mean by this is that the majority of the models I've downloaded and tested have excruciatingly rough meshes and shell thicknesses of up to 1/4" that can't simply be altered through slicing software. If you go through my 3D build thread, go to the part where I discuss the thighs and shins. No person deserves that kind of punishment.

3. The 3D models available on CG Trader were mostly developed utilizing Mesh Mapping which doesn't account for certain discrepancies, or intricacies of the screen used design. The intentional eye bump is a good example of this. Mesh mapping will capture and correct images, then build it into a 3d model. Unless the designer is intimately familiar with the costume, they're not going to correct what the computer did for them. 

4. This lack of knowledge of the costumes is a big reason why we get a lot of designers who blow you off when you offer a suggestion. My designer made almost every change I asked for and they've continued to update the kit since. But, the design changes that would have been much more technical went unchanged i.e. totally redesigning the chest, cod, butt, legs. Ultimately, I had to make a ton of changes after the fact and I failed to annotate all of them.

3D printing does have its place in the world of TKs though. I've used this technology extensively in my most recent build and I would challenge anyone to tell me what parts of this kit are printed and which are fiberglass. Here I am two weeks ago:

K3QSz9Z.jpg

Lol. I'm just doing a little pre-troop adjustment, but when finished correctly 3D prints are great.

So, where does that leave us? Currently, there's no accurate file sets out there and our trusted modelers appear to have 0 desire to make TK armor. The amount of work required to get something printed, finished and approved far surpasses buying a kit from our reputable dealers. If you're interested in supplementing an existing kit with 3d pieces, there's options out there, but accuracy will cost you some money. Paul won't piece out his kit if you only wanted the legs for example and others out there are all kinds of messed up.

I'm not going to talk badly about anyone's 3D kits, but look closely at what they're showing and you'll start noticing huge issues.

Finally, because of this lack of good 3D files, I've started designing my own, but they're a ways off and I'm already loaded with other projects. Regardless, Here's a pic of the abdominal armor I'm developing and I'll be doing the chest and back next. I'm not Mesh Mapping, this is all from the ground up.

fIRJsEd.png

@BigJasoni as always a wealth of knowledge! For me, when I see a TK i think Star Wars and its really unfortunate, no designers have capitalized on this. With so many persons having access to 3D printers now, a well designed set of files is gold. You are so right about thickness and flexibility of 3D printed parts etc. I am so happy you are started your designing but I know how hectic things get IRL. I'll keep an eye out just in case you ever finish them. As for me, I am about 90% completed printing the CG trader files but as you said, time to get the Dremel out, lol. Once I'm comfortable, I'll start a build thread an hopefully you can give me some pointers also. Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

3 hours ago, jsilvius said:

Jason mentions them in his build thread 

• Like 1