Dblcross's 5.0 AM Build Thread

dblcross

18 minutes ago, dblcross said:

Ok I understand the diagram, top right is now

Correct, was a prototype, brackets were a little too thin.

I've seen some just add a pair of braces to an existing belt

35-25-20mm-Wide-Men-Suspenders-High-Elas

• Like 1

So these pictures aren't the best cause my helper is at work but I couldn't wait! Man, this stuff is hard to get on by yourself but I'm sure it gets easier. The rear crotch snap wasn't going to happen without me standing on my head so my rear looks rather large!:laugh1: There's a lot of clanking going on when I walk and I can already tell you I need to trim more out of the insides of the thighs. Might go with a piece of foam for the inside of the sniper plate to keep it off of my knee. The double cap rivet in the ammo pack on one side popped right off when I was taking everything off. A helper is vital. The back of my belt isn't lined up good enough. I think I'm going to replace it with a split rivet and washer. I feel like I'm close. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. rvk8qKv.jpgjALu7V6.jpgx3esLNf.jpggaBEnNg.jpgaS8NTZx.jpgPY0H0iU.jpg

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 2

Definitely starting to look the part. Hard to kit up and take photos yourself but the use of a full length mirror can help, especially if you have someone taking photos that may not know what to look out for. 

I can kit up myself, normally @10min but have been quicker when I've been rushed, does help having long arms and legs ;) 

• Like 2

Definitely starting to look the part. Hard to kit up and take photos yourself but the use of a full length mirror can help, especially if you have someone taking photos that may not know what to look out for. 

I can kit up myself, normally @10min but have been quicker when I've been rushed, does help having long arms and legs  

I know a lot of what I’m doing with mine is to make it work to kit up myself if needed. So far it’s doable. Does take work, but yeah flexibility helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ab and TD details. Plus I got my arms attached but I think now I should shorten the forearms at the wrist cause they are rubbing on the hand plate and I feel like the spacing at the elbow is good. Thoughts?SEfuH2Z.jpg4P8mVEn.jpgE5CBPsk.jpgrHqUyBf.jpgXBUwfpP.jpgN8uP1RV.jpg What a sad plant! This is my son's bathroom btw. We don't go in here much:laugh1:5nGaJ69.jpg

• Like 2

I'd probably try bringing up your biceps a little, which will intern give you a little more gap at the wrist. You can see in this photo the bicep is nearly pulling out from under the shoulder bell

N8uP1RV.jpg

I'd probably try bringing up your biceps a little, which will intern give you a little more gap at the wrist. You can see in this photo the bicep is nearly pulling out from under the shoulder bell
N8uP1RV.jpg

[mention]Dblcross [/mention] I know you previously mentioned a surgical reason with your arm, I think gmrhodes13’s information is probably a solid way to adjust that considering the difference you have for your arms. The other arm overall looks like spacing is a little better. Overall I think your armor is looking really solid and you’ve done great work on your arms as well.

I haven’t really had the opportunity to see how mine sit with the shoulders and such yet, so I can’t tell but depending may have to do similar.

Great work thus far man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

You can see in this photo the bicep is nearly pulling out from under the shoulder bell

Snap popped apart from the bell to the bicep. I need to make it a dbl snap.

• Like 2

Last thing on my list to do is the elastic holding the shoulder bridges in place. Going to paint my storage rig. can't wait till it's done.NNgKKHa.jpgDYbWW4E.jpg Got my wife in the shot lol. Using this stencil should be cool. oLXoeh0.jpg Full kit up pictures coming soon.

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out great. Just need to finish taking pictures for pre-approval.  I left room for my TK number to go above the cog in a similar manner.  I'll paint the handle and latches after work today if the rain holds off. FUigIud.jpgW8tiGfi.jpg Mod Podge FTW!lpxiHIT.jpg

• Like 5

So I'm waiting on one thing before my photos. Dave sends a really nice pair of Nomex gloves that I'm sure I'll be using for trooping but, (I think maybe this is the first time I've said this)I've got high hopes KZjFokn.jpg I want Centurion! So I contacted Justjoseph to get a pair of rubber gloves and another set of latex hand guards. They should arrive Thursday! So to keep me occupied, cause my wife says I'm OCD and have to be doing something all the time, I painted the handles and latches! Man, they look cool! 8G8z4vO.jpglCMFjcE.jpg It's all my stuffs! Xo8ZFXx.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Just an update. Sorry, I've been AWOL. Work has had me doing some serious traveling lately. I got to spend the 4th of July in Philly ( where it all began for the U.S.). What a drive from Memphis to Philly! I've also been to Atlanta and am going to Austin TX. Monday of next week. All I can think about is how I need to get back home and finish touching up my TK. 

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 3

Sounds like you've been doing a lot of miles, don't worry your armor will be awaiting your return :D 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Alrighty, I'm still stuck in a hotel for work which is a bummer cause Halloween is coming up quickly. I haven't had the time to adjust any of my armor and it's killing me. So I got this to occupy my time. Found this rebel scum at target. It's cardstock!27FD9t1.jpg I wanted the Star Destroyer, but convincing my better half to let me display it on the kitchen table probably won't happen.

Edited by dblcross
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I made most of the changes required and I got to actually walk around Halloween with it on. I can tell you this, Storm Troopers aren't meant for stealth! lots of clanging of armor as I walked around. It was a hit for sure. I'll have pre-approval pics up soon hopefully. As I write this, I'm out of town for work again!gJmEIkL.jpg Some even called me a hero for apprehending Jason while on patrol. 4upXUwC.jpg

Edited by dblcross
Spelling!

2 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Great to see you out and about, looking forward to seeing those pre approval pics :duim:

I think I'm going to have to add a shim on the side plate. Hotel living and all.ZTYM11G.jpg I'm planning on E6000 a piece of leftover cover strip ABS and some ABS paste. Also, My thigh lines up now even though I've got my leg kicked outIPEZQ29.jpg

Edited by dblcross

You could try some tighter strapping, it may help. A small gap between abdomen and kidney is allowable for basic and L2, not until you get to L3 that it becomes an issue ;) 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wide.

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor. 

On 11/3/2023 at 4:42 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

You could try some tighter strapping, it may help. A small gap between abdomen and kidney is allowable for basic and L2, not until you get to L3 that it becomes an issue ;) 

OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):

• Any gap between the abdomen and kidney armor is no more than 1/2" (12.5mm) wide.

OPTIONAL Level three certification (if applicable):

• Ideally there no gap between the abdomen and kidney armor. 

I ( as in my wife!) can barley snap it as it is. if I go tighter I'll need to think about repositioning the snaps. I have however, reworked the position of the ammo belt around my thigh like @Chemi suggested. I'll post pictures of that soon.

• Like 2

Looks good!! Great work so far! One thing that helped me with my gap initially was making sure to tighten the belt! Have you tried that too? :) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I've been approved, I'm not sure where to put this topic but I've already had a lens on my helmet pop off. Just saying. It's an easy fix. I used the sugru to attach my lenses. There is an outline on the lens to help me drill holes and screw it to the hardened sugru. I ( my wife and I) are still struggling with getting me snapped together on the left shoulder and the abdomen. Also, after suiting up a few times I can see where foam padding would help reduce the clanking of ABS. Stealth would be impossible for me at this point.

Adding updates to your build is fine even when approved :duim:

Clanking is just a part of being a Stormtrooper, yes I know swift and silent would be nice but there is no so imposing of hearing clanking coming down a hall, closer and closer, then seeing a squad of Stormtroopers appear. 

You may want to check your snaps on the shoulders see how tight they are, I've had a few which have been just a touch too tight and makes it hard with dressing. I've got a round allen head bolt that fits just inside a snap and I give that a quick tap which normally helps.