FN1313’s ANH Stunt Build thread

FN1313

43 minutes ago, FN1313 said:

Question on the holster location.

Is there a set distance it needs to be from the side of the plastic or can it go back a little further. I ask because if you look at my belt placement if I had it close to the return edge it seems like it might actually sit a little too far forward in my opinion.

a808b14e1d091465c9e7f1dc4d100d6c.jpg

If there’s some leeway on that I could have it attached like this

90f016881215e353131a8b4c41337cd9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aprox measures

6AQ1jTq.png

• Like 1

Had a quick question on trimming the shoulder bridge area.

I’ve noticed there’s a lot more length on these pieces and I almost have them touching each other when wearing. I plan on better sizing and checking before I trim, but assuming that things remain as is, would I be safe to trim this length?

4553a599346e3bc7cec4ed7ae8489762.jpg
8494786c2b7468bee90f53f5831ce055.jpg

Also before I start strapping the inside of parts, what is the better material to hold the snaps to the armor, nylon webbing or abs pieces? I’ve seen both and am curious what would be the better/stronger/longer lasting material?

Should be ok but I've not seen them on you.

Some references

FAKhPZ2.jpg?1 vCMA48e.jpg?1  UrnD3dz.jpg?2

Also note the amount of ridges on the front of the shoulder strap, 4 and 1/2 small ridges and 1 large, this can vary but ideally that's what you would glue onto the chest

Sq6eUcM.jpg?1

You can also remove the large tab on the rear of the shoulder straps ;) Elastic on the rear will help hold the backs down.

FAKhPZ2.jpg?1

• Like 2

THERMAL DETONATOR

After researching I found the TD should be 7.5 inches wide roughly when complete. Each of the end caps should be about 0.75 inch wide. The middle panel should be 4.75 inches wide.

With that being noted I knew I needed to do some trimming. So I marked the widths first.

Make sure to mark from the right side and trim off the left side of the panel.
5c711c973f3b3d47981506b14f7137c5.jpg

Obvious, but still just in case mark from the outside and trim from the inside.
b1c1390369c66c1352c3fc4851dba35e.jpg

The curvature of the pieces was way to much for me to bother doing score and snap. I mean it’s not impossible, but I’d rather be a beach trooper hoofing it on Hoth during a snowstorm with no Tauntaun for shelter than try score and snap method when I have a Dremel tool with a cutting blade. So I used that to trim

After sanding here’s the pieces and measurements.

197e2519ebab2f1b1977e8af40c5872d.jpg
12464b2ead71494e7e92821a1b838930.jpg
c6e7660a58cebc91f1302aa942d2e231.jpg

At this point I then marked the midway point of the grey tube (3.75 inches) and then marked the middle point of the panel (2.375 inches or easier to find with mm than inches so 60mm). I then lined up the mid points. Marked the area around the panel on the tube and sanded the area as well as the inside of the panel for better paint grip.

e3c55b0314ab8a19e77395cc89aec53d.jpg
086b1280484b5181ebf5d62fde53c469.jpg

Using e6000 I coated the inner panel and lined it up with the midway marks I put. I used double magnets on inside of tube and outside of panel as well as blue tape to hold the panel in place while it sets.

d6b19ebd5ef0c3bfc96033732c421289.jpg

To be continued.

Now that the panel is glued in place I glued the end caps on. The air pressure inside wanted to push the caps outward so plenty of blue tape to hold the caps tight.

https://i.imgur.com/g3LzpKL.jpg

Once the caps were cured I then marked the drill holes for the metal mounting brackets. I did this by placing the edge next to the bottom of the panel and against the cap. Marked the holes. I then drilled a 3/32 drill hole into each one and used the provided screws to screw the brackets into place.

2BlWgFQ.jpg
BWWUGPX.jpg

BWWUGPX.jpgJkOxw2O.jpg

BWWUGPX.jpg

thermal detonator is complete (minus painting the screws black.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by FN1313

Updates for today (links to sections have been updated in the opening post of my build thread to make it easier to find them.

I mounted the holster to the belt.

uP1d9DW.jpg

finished the rear cover strips of the shins

6y1ZDFB.jpg

got the thighs pretty much ready for rigging

8x5Kiic.jpg

And as you can see above I got the Thermal Detonator in the works.

I’ve also made progress on the abdomen, the button panels are done curing to the abdomen and the Han snap and bottom split rivet are in place. I’ve added the two male snaps to the posterior armor. 

Busy day, but good work.

• Like 2

Added some black abs strips 20mm wide on the inside edges of the abdomen for strength reinforcement as well as strength for the split rivets that will go there. I’ll do the same on the kidney edges as well after I’ve measured again to know how much to trim off.

bN9Kr0V.jpg
6aW5Fys.jpg

• Like 2

I know it’s likely overkill to ask considering this thread indicates there’s little to no return edge on armor.

Return Edges 101 (OTTK)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=44557&share_tid=48166&url=https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/48166-Return-Edges-101-%28OTTK%29&share_type=t&link_source=app

But before I trim anything, should I and how much return edge is okay to remove from the back and chest?

YEjeYQb.jpg
5urPCaX.jpg

5urPCaX.jpg6iJ3vT3.jpg

6iJ3vT3.jpg5urPCaX.jpg

BHvCiZE.jpg

DGZB6t6.jpg

Edited by FN1313

CHEST AND BACK

Being as both of these pieces are part of each other and don’t have as much work as other pieces I figured I’d combine the build section for them.

First I did some return edge trimming. The chest didn’t have tons of return edge needing lots of trimming, but I do do some better return edge cleanup around the shoulders and neckline

before

1cwJrII.jpg
v9VJsgN.jpg

3PtdUEp.jpg
sFva5s3.jpg

after

vIvWMVE.jpg
6T6bJYx.jpg

Itm04gs.jpg
GoAaDWg.jpg

I will do more once I can get some of the rigging together so I can figure out where things line up for the shoulder bridges later.

To add some support for the shoulder bridges I’ve trimmed out two pieces of plastic the same size as the bridges. I used a heat gun to then bend at the point the bridges aren’t connected to the chest piece. Then I heated up the rest to bend into a curve like the shoulder bridge.

MKLg0XL.jpg

Nz11IDM.jpg

I then glued the strips around the curved areas to the shoulder bridges and didn’t glue the bent part as that will be glued after to the chest armor.

1oLuK0Z.jpg

I have clamps holding the curved parts together while they cure. I will then glue the rest to the chest tomorrow.

Edited by FN1313

I marked out the abdomen side holes for the split rivets.

20mm from top and bottom edge and 10mm in, then the midway point between the two was about 64.5mm

how do these marks look before I drill holes?

CjkF6Or.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, FN1313 said:

I marked out the abdomen side holes for the split rivets.

20mm from top and bottom edge and 10mm in, then the midway point between the two was about 64.5mm

how do these marks look before I drill holes?

CjkF6Or.jpg

Looking good.  :duim:

You could take a little more from around your neck if you wanted to.

3PtdUEp.jpg

sml_gallery_12157_59_58603.jpg

sml_gallery_12157_59_18161.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:
You could take a little more from around your neck if you wanted to.
3PtdUEp.jpg

sml_gallery_12157_59_58603.jpg

sml_gallery_12157_59_18161.jpg

That’s actually the before picture I did take more from around the neck.

LV0A8e9.jpg

Edited by FN1313
  • Like 1

Here’s a general idea of my leg armor. The shins done have rear closure method done yet as I need a sewing machine for the elastic to not fray, but I will work on that tonight along with belt drop box elastic. That’s why the shins look larger because they are loose in the back.

xi6IxKI.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s a general idea of my leg armor. The shins done have rear closure method done yet as I need a sewing machine for the elastic to not fray, but I will work on that tonight along with belt drop box elastic. That’s why the shins look larger because they are loose in the back.

xi6IxKI.jpg

Looks great! I see you also have a supervisor.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dblcross said:

Looks great! I see you also have a supervisor.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I have two supervisors, the one you see is the lazy one.

STRAPPING AND RIGGING

Now that everything is pretty much trimmed and setup ready to go I’m starting the strapping and rigging process. First I’m doing the bicep retention strap on the shoulder bells.

I took a 3/4 inch wide elastic and measured two 240mm length strips. This gave me an inch or so on each side to glue down into place at the bottom of the shoulder bell.

s3rfhsT.jpg

9EqE342.jpg

Next I’ll start working on the biceps to the arms.

I also have started the gluing of the 3/4 inch straps to the inner forearms.

ss5Ns6Y.jpg

Took a bit for me to get some more e6000 but I glued the biceps to the forearms with the elastic

4S1kjX4.jpg

I also added the male snap nylon to the internals of the thighs in prep for the elastic to hold to the belt.

lyOKFqa.jpg

f1wzI2g.jpg

I then added the first nylon snap to the posterior.

oAklSOs.jpg

For the abdomen and kidney I’ve got the male snaps on the interior installed to both sides of the abdomen:

2P2JaEe.jpg

And started on the kidney to match up to the abdomen.

j9veRD6.jpg

From here I will attach the snaps to the other side of the kidney and then start working the snaps to the posterior.

I’ve attached the snaps to the other side of the kidney and built the interior elastic strapping.

MR3XGKV.jpg

sEbNeKm.jpg

As you see on the right side I only used on snap on the front, this because It’s more difficult to pull apart and put together two snaps, where this is the side that I will be using to get in and out I found one snap was sufficient.

On the left hand side though I have the double snaps for the strong longevity

PgrjFE1.jpg

I also rigged up the elastic for the thighs to the belt. The belt I got was a nylon belt with one of those toothy buckles off amazon. Those tend to hold really well and it was pretty heavy duty.

oe3Bskv.jpg

r91h8lq.jpg

EGI5tUe.jpg

The belt holds up great and the thighs are staying set pretty effectively. I still might consider some heavy duty suspenders to use with the belt, but for now I think it’s pretty solid.

Finally I started the male snaps on the right side of the posterior.

Ib9yH2u.jpg

I’ve now up to this point finished the male posterior snaps on the posterior and the corresponding snaps on the kidney.

penhJN6.jpg

tgj2QhA.jpg

On the kidney I had the male snaps up about 1-2cm for the purpose of not fighting the curve near the bottom and giving a little extra elastic mobility room.

BbyqzPm.jpg

I then attached the male snap nylon to the top of the kidney in prep to connect the back armor plate.

dbxcfoF.jpg

The back armor plate also had corresponding snaps glued into place

pC2pFy8.jpg

xTorPFy.jpg

Tomorrow I will be able to get the elastic rigging for that part of the clamshell done.

At the same time as all of this I glued the bicep to shoulder bell elastic into place

UQzAaFM.jpg

QJWsJNA.jpg

ui4Rhse.jpg

So the only part remaining for the arms is the elastic from the shoulder to the under shoulder bridge connection.

updates coming

Edited by FN1313

KIDNEY

I forgot the kidney section. There’s not a ton I needed to do for the Kidney, but I did trim about 1/2 inch off each side for fitting first. I also trimmed a 20mm X 20mm square at the bottom

1U2ChrC.jpg

XSKu7kH.jpg

After that notch cut out I needed to trim the posterior to match up with that edge.

JGqZYQq.jpg

MLyjQtL.jpg

The posterior also looks better after this trimming.

I added some strengthening ABS on the interior edges like I did the abdomen and matched up the 3 split rivets that are on the left hand side.

0XnhFYS.jpg

You can also see my initial rigging snaps being installed

EWT3XKK.jpg

At this point the armor should be ready. I’m going to detail the rigging part in the previous rigging section.

Male snaps have been added to the opposite side now and the strapping done.

sEbNeKm.jpg

Edited by FN1313
  • Like 1

Updates for today.

Shin hook elastic

l00vxyR.jpg

abdomen left side snaps

Lb08GIr.jpg

inner forearm elastic

ss5Ns6Y.jpg

drop boxes gluing

85tQbhR.jpg

Shoulder bell bicep retaining strap

s3rfhsT.jpg

Each of the build areas has been updated with progress as well.

If you run a lighter or soldering iron across the ends of the elastic it will stop it from fraying ;) 

• Like 1

If you run a lighter or soldering iron across the ends of the elastic it will stop it from fraying  

I’ll definitely do that, just wanted to see for the extra help there.

• Like 1

Today’s updates (relevant sections updated with details)

Shins elastic and hooks

5MJCYc7.jpg4k8pKIO.jpgxYO99RI.jpg

Abdomen male snaps with nylon mounts
2P2JaEe.jpg

Kidney male snaps (one side)

j9veRD6.jpg

Forearm/bicep elastic connection
4S1kjX4.jpg

Thigh male snap mounting
lyOKFqa.jpg

Posterior male snap mount beginning
oAklSOs.jpg