Pinkie’s ANH build thread - DA Props 1.5mm

PinkThorn242

OK, so in theory my armour is on its way. I say in theory because at time of writing it’s been sat in a postal hub  for two weeks because of what the shipping company claims is a technical hitch which I suspect may or may not involve the current global situation.

So in the meantime I’m working on my soft parts (at least as much as I can until I work out if this kit is for the Hero or Stunt CRL).

So here we go.

Boots:

Just a cheap pair of ankle boots I picked up and decided to paint. So far they’ve had about six coats of white Angelus each although I should probably go for a few more since under a raking light the white is a bit patchy. The elastic has received four coats of white fabric paint and the finish is a lot cleaner. The paint also still needs sealing once I work out what level of gloss these need to have.

E88D6CCB-92D1-4B8B-A832-E95F104F210A.jpeg.d9aa4c9ac1ad21a18fee8ad7548f0284.jpeg

I also need to go in and clean up the outsole a little since despite my best efforts with the frog tape there was a little bit of bleed. So I need to find some of the really small cotton buds that people normally use for cleaning computer drive heads and hit it with acetone. Since doing it with a regular sized cotton bud resulted in stripping off the paint from the surface of the boot too and put me back at square one.

E748FC6B-704A-4403-AD38-AAC20EE15FED.jpeg.7eaf780d66bd14813356e75185796aa4.jpeg

Undersuit: a black dancer’s unitard I have left over from an old project. May replace it with the cotton spandex equivalent or running kit for extra breathability, as well as the fact I’m not 100% sure the slight shine it has is acceptable even if the CRL just says “black, non-textured material”.

51E6AB01-CF05-4111-BFFD-3B52C144DF08.jpeg.2f757c61d91bff63566d766a55e24f71.jpeg

So next steps for the armour side of things: need to source the black chemical gloves, as well as make runs to get hold of my belt, neck seal and holster.

Props wise, I’m currently chugging my way through printing out the E11 kit. I’m also on the lookout for a good DLT kit, given that on examination the free kit in the 3D repository over here was found to be slightly inaccurate in a couple of places and beyond my ability to fix.

3CA1E7B4-30B8-4743-8539-6FE58E15C4A2.jpeg.c2f6e05024247af8855dbbd6534a5896.jpeg

Edited by PinkThorn242
  • Like 1

Looks like your off to a good start, in case you haven't seen this is a great thread to help on your build. 

When in doubt ask, measure twice and cut once and there's always the gallery sections for any needed references. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

13 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Looks like your off to a good start, in case you haven't seen this is a great thread to help on your build. 

When in doubt ask, measure twice and cut once and there's always the gallery sections for any needed references. https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/category/24-anh-tk-reference/

Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Yeah, I definitely need to read up on the various guides on sizing armour down. Joys of being 5’6 and about 155lbs (and trying to work on that by shedding my lockdown fat).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

OK, blaster is coming together slowly. Still need to sand a load of stuff out of the inside of the front barrel section.

Downside to 3D printed parts, the never ending sanding. I try to give a general sand then use 3 or 4 coats of spray putty which fills up any remaining lines. 

31 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Downside to 3D printed parts, the never ending sanding. I try to give a general sand then use 3 or 4 coats of spray putty which fills up any remaining lines. 

Yeah, that has to wait until it's warm enough to spray things again though. And in the case of the green bit of the barrel it's the result of me having bad retraction settings leaving the inside full of string.

• Like 1

OK, picked up a pair of gloves today. Not sure about the fit though - the guide on the packet said I should go large but they feel really loose to the point where just flexing my fingers made them start to slide off, so I might go and pick up a pair of Mediums tomorrow. Although the loose fit might also be better especially if I decide to use liner gloves to deal with the sweat issue.

ft4gz4U.jpg.ee53018f6635ad1736d5ad3702ff26cb.jpg

FRo31zp.jpg.ac786457c2b76735e3f61e52e12646ac.jpg

• 1 month later...

Noting better than BBB day, exciting times, hope you've done your homework ;) 

Golden rules measure twice and cut once, the other don't be afraid to ask questions, the forum is full of helpful builds and information but some can be buried and not easily found so if in doubt please ask :D

Good luck with the build looking forward to seeing the progress

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Noting better than BBB day, exciting times, hope you've done your homework ;) 

Golden rules measure twice and cut once, the other don't be afraid to ask questions, the forum is full of helpful builds and information but some can be buried and not easily found so if in doubt please ask :D

Good luck with the build looking forward to seeing the progress

Yeah, the closest to progress I've come so far is moving all the parts out of the box into their crate so I can recycle it. Not going to fire up the dremel until I'm absolutely sure about what I'm cutting.

Just now, PinkThorn242 said:

Yeah, the closest to progress I've come so far is moving all the parts out of the box into their crate so I can recycle it. Not going to fire up the dremel until I'm absolutely sure about what I'm cutting.

LOL

A couple of useful threads

A lot of helpful links here: 

And when in doubt you can always check our gallery area https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/

Once again good luck :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PinkThorn242 said:

OK, so on the advice of my GML I’ve decided to throw out the boots I had and start over on that front. Too much heel and not enough shaft height.

4CEE8754-41B1-437B-B449-17C8E2182E8D.jpeg.7309cf4305c378ddca87c2d812bab274.jpeg

Unfortunate but yes very short, you would find when you walk and even bend the knees slightly the shins would come out over the top and could get stuck when trying to move back.

8 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Unfortunate but yes very short, you would find when you walk and even bend the knees slightly the shins would come out over the top and could get stuck when trying to move back.

Yeah so now the tricky bit is finding a pair that’s tall enough but that also has the right sort of sole on it.

Like these boots looked like they had enough shaft height but the sole is a bit too chunky / visible tread.

And I know IB / Crow is an option too but I’d rather not pay $130 if I don’t absolutely have to.

Edited by PinkThorn242

37 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

Yeah so now the tricky bit is finding a pair that’s tall enough but that also has the right sort of sole on it.

Like these boots looked like they had enough shaft height but the sole is a bit too chunky / visible tread.

And I know IB / Crow is an option too but I’d rather not pay $130 if I don’t absolutely have to.

When comparing we have this gallery. In the past there were a lot of boots out there available but with fashion changes there don't seem to be many still available, Amazon seems a good source or it was in past years. Good hunting 

• 4 months later...

OK, so made a start on trimming my breastplate. And made a little bit of a mess of one of the arms but I think I was able to fix it.

dYZ4Vu6.jpg?1

6Y4SYAj.jpg

So I'm guessing to trim the bottom edge I'm working to the inner line here, then adjusting the return as needed?

VClLXmt.jpg

36 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

So I'm guessing to trim the bottom edge I'm working to the inner line here, then adjusting the return as needed?

hi Jennifer , you're going the right path with your build :duim: keep it up .

As you told, trim the inner lien and make the necessary adjustments later . cutting less is better than adding plastic later :shok:

One tip, I always do with my builds is,  before trimming,  to mark the cut line with a pencil.   

rF1A9wL.jpg?1

Remember, measure twice, cut and glue just once.  :salute:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PinkThorn242 said:

OK, initial trim on the bottom edge is done. Just need to figure out where to trim the sides to and then the rough cut on the chest is done. e2049bc7b79a31191ddff87083b491a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread could be useful, take a read please. :coffee2:

• Like 1

OK, ankle trimming was a whole lot less of a pain than the breastplate. Just double checking the guide before I take anything off the top of the shins too.

cc845785b8f0500f41590cde874ed3b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work.

Don’t forget, you can always work on the return edge once the part is glued together. This way, you can try the piece on and see how much you need/want to remove.

Also, when you size up the shins, be sure to wear your actual trooper boots - this is key. Many measure without wearing their boots, then find that they’ve not allowed enough room to fit the boots in.
  • Like 2