Swannee's Pre-Approval Thread

CT 1977

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking I've got the traps and tears done with black and ready to start with the gray but, Glen, take a look and let me know what you think.

gAQp1gA.jpg

tOwREay.jpg

NASbwA4.jpg

After I took the photos I looked at them to make sure they looked good and realized that the rear right trap needed some work. Its funny, it seemed good to my eye but after looking at the photo, I realized I had to go back and clean up some lines. So, the first photo is before, the second is the "after".

4ubPyJ5.jpg

eORCXX9.jpg

Better photo, closer view.

A16OeR8.jpg

On 1/23/2022 at 3:43 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

I vaguely remember something about the height of them being too long, need to be 16mm (which is noted) so as long as you print to that size. You will need to angle the front stripe downwards, when the template was first made that detail was not known.

Just modified the file so it falls forward now from the tops ;) 

Aih9arM.png.053242df178a8abbdc2e7ecb3413b081.png

A great thread on the position and fall of the tube stripes

00a63035f5a6bab81dc18d6d523bb9b6.jpg

mDDsy4w.jpg

Hey Glen, I was trying to find the page/section that has the tears and traps painting templates but can't find them again. Any chance you've got a link or know where I can find them? I'm good with either printing them down or buying them as long as they're approved. Thanks, bro!

2 hours ago, CT 1977 said:

Hey Glen, I was trying to find the page/section that has the tears and traps painting templates but can't find them again. Any chance you've got a link or know where I can find them? I'm good with either printing them down or buying them as long as they're approved. Thanks, bro!

Here you go ;) 

I'm not quite sure what to do here as far how much to trim. Other videos and photos I've seen show what look like a return edge and they just trim till there's still a slight return edge. But on my armor the plastic on the other side of what looks like a trim line is a bit higher than the main part of the armor. Below I have lightly drawn a pencil like where it looks like its supposed to be trimmed but then, what of the return edge. Anyone with some helpful tips here?

993P9n6.jpg

1fArP53.jpg

1 hour ago, CT 1977 said:

Thanks, Glen...I see the tube stripe template but seem to missing the traps and tears, am I missing something?

Sorry thought you were after the tube stripes. Don't think there are any templates for traps and tears on the forum, most use masking tape, trooperbay has them https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-masking-templates

15 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

I'm not quite sure what to do here as far how much to trim. Other videos and photos I've seen show what look like a return edge and they just trim till there's still a slight return edge. But on my armor the plastic on the other side of what looks like a trim line is a bit higher than the main part of the armor. Below I have lightly drawn a pencil like where it looks like its supposed to be trimmed but then, what of the return edge. Anyone with some helpful tips here?

993P9n6.jpg

I left more return edge on the sides more for strength as they can crack in these areas when bending over time.

This thread may help 

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Sorry thought you were after the tube stripes. Don't think there are any templates for traps and tears on the forum, most use masking tape, trooperbay has them https://trooperbay.com/trooper-helmet-masking-templates

thanks for the link but I'm having a really difficult time with their website. I was able to get the template into shopping cart but the website crashes every time I try to check out. Do you happen to have their email address? I'm sure its something like person@trooperbay.com

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I left more return edge on the sides more for strength as they can crack in these areas when bending over time.

This thread may help 

okay, so is that why everyone uses return edges...for strength? Thanks for the thread.

1 minute ago, CT 1977 said:

okay, so is that why everyone uses return edges...for strength? Thanks for the thread.

it looks like my AVG antivirus is blocking the site as it shows that the site has been infected with a "Trojan" malware. The name of the virus is JS:CardStealer-FX[Trj}, so if there is another way to contact them like an email...if you have it, would be good and thanks again.

16 minutes ago, CT 1977 said:

thanks for the link but I'm having a really difficult time with their website. I was able to get the template into shopping cart but the website crashes every time I try to check out. Do you happen to have their email address? I'm sure its something like person@trooperbay.com

contact@trooperbay.com or PM @TK-4510

20 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Thanks, Glen. I ended up going to my iPad to try it that way and it worked...so I got my order placed. I felt like I could have made my own but this way will be faster and just as accurate, or maybe more so. 

Thanks, again.

• Like 1

Great following your progress on this, Bill! Seems we both took an extended period away from our ATA buildings, but are back at it at the same time! I have no doubt that you'll finish before me, though, because I make turtles seem fast. =) Glad to see you sorted out the Trooperbay website.

Edited by MaskedVengeance

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ready to get started on the gray paint but I wanted to get some more eyes on my tears just to make sure they're ready to go. The more I look it at, the more I see things that need fixing so, having a more experienced set of eyes would be really helpful.

duxmxN5.jpg

TnGT6Tc.jpg

First coat of gray for the traps. I took Caleb's advice and will be painting multiple light layers of paint till I have it covered. I took Glen's advice and bought some Frog tape as he said that this tape has a less porous adhesive and decreases the bleed through that comes with standard masking tape.

IkAObuV.jpg

tNYfQmw.jpg

6Dby8Yk.jpg

jrK9QZH.jpg

Here I'm touching up the teeth.

UdK5avh.jpg

After reading much of Caleb's post on his build I started trimming the torso pieces. Here is the kidney section from bottom showing the first rough cut. Now I'm just trying to figure out how much more should come off. This will basically be my technique going forward with the remainder of the pieces.

rILx3HB.jpg

This is different angles of the first rough cut. I'm open to comments, tips and suggestions.

5NDzQjS.jpg

fxcqXIQ.jpg

uYPJp0S.jpg

On 3/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, CT 1977 said:

I'm ready to get started on the gray paint but I wanted to get some more eyes on my tears just to make sure they're ready to go. The more I look it at, the more I see things that need fixing so, having a more experienced set of eyes would be really helpful.

duxmxN5.jpg

TnGT6Tc.jpg

Hey Glen, Can you take a look the black on the tears and let me know your thoughts? Thanks.

1 hour ago, CT 1977 said:

Hey Glen, Can you take a look the black on the tears and let me know your thoughts? Thanks.

Looks good from this end, just try to make sure the top corners of the upper traps are rounded, not sharp corners :)  .

DaveMANH06.jpg.5306931cee2d6439093d531b7549699b.jpg LFL_Storm_Stunt03.thumb.jpg.b750e0cd181096629297cf9e34331b95.jpg

You can also find some great references here: http://www.starwarshelmets.com/original-ANH-Stunt-Stormtrooper-armor-helmets.htm

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 1:09 PM, MaskedVengeance said:

Great following your progress on this, Bill! Seems we both took an extended period away from our ATA buildings, but are back at it at the same time! I have no doubt that you'll finish before me, though, because I make turtles seem fast. =) Glad to see you sorted out the Trooperbay website.

thanks, Caleb but looks like its a race to see who will be slowest. So much going on and finding and making the time to work the armor is tough. I hope to make some progress today and I'll post photos.

I got some work done this weekend on my bucket and torso armor. Mostly trimming on the armor but painting on the traps and tears. I feel like the tears are just about ready with the exception of the left tear that needs some black enhancement at the lower - forward area. Also feel like the teeth are close to complete so Glen (and/or anyone) could check it out and let me know what you think.

nqXEnZj.jpg

1NRZzaA.jpg

oAPCzqQ.jpg

EaF1P6E.jpg

I look forward to hearing what needs to be fixed or what is passable. Thanks.

I could use some advice here...I'm thinking that the black on the traps are a little thick, so if anyone could let me know before I get started with the lines, that would be great. Also, take a look at the tears and let me know your thoughts here too. I know the corners need to be rounded out on the gray which should be a piece o cake but just want to get the black up to regs. 

ku3sxG2.jpg

wkirOmL.jpg

XmCUZK2.jpg

Also, hoping to meet some local troopers at the Symphony's live music for ESB show tonight.

I went ahead and added some gray to thin out the black. Acceptable, changes needed? I know i need to touch up some of the lines and round out most of the corners but is the fix ok?

sSROlRK.jpg

jcmRgyN.jpg

eIxZWT5.jpg

MD1tmVx.jpg

• Like 1