Saltyr1's First ATA ANH Build thread

saltyr1

3 hours ago, saltyr1 said:

Thanks Caleb!  My thoughts were to keep as much material as possible as it seems ATA shoulder bells seem to show more undersuit in the front (seems moving the shoulder bell snap more towards the back helps).  If the fit allowed, I would definitely add the curve (to me removing material can't cover more undersuit).

Move the shoulder bell snap further towards the front, this allows the shoulder bell to come in at the front when you have moved your arms as there is more tension on the front.

1MTWUi1.jpg.3035dc7b2c6794cae2743d54635bd509.jpg

ATA shoulder bells are not as wide as most makers, a trick when taking your photos is to have someone on standby to check your gaps and a little tweak or two may be needed, do the same the the rear photos too ;) 

Comparison of my ATA's and with RS

ATA

BHIfrVo.jpg

ATA

CUEfXcG.png

RS

8Rt8Eis.png  

RS

0hHBV73.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaskedVengeance said:

It certainly does sound a bit counter-intuitive, and the way I would implement the curve would be to not actually trim off extra material at the top and bottom of the bells, but instead trim less in the middle portion (depending on how obvious the trim lines are). Different sized troopers will definitely have differing results based on their shoulder size.

The other aspect of trimming a curve to cover more under-suit is that, when pulling the top of your bell as close as possible to the shoulder bridges, the curve conforms better to the curve of the chest piece than a straight line would.

gallery_14191_18_388910.jpg

Thanks Caleb, now it makes sense!

I was able to get some pics with the armor on (forgot the thermal detonator).  I feel it's coming together.  I still have some issues to fix, like the left side of the kidney still wanting to pop out a little.

R7D05k0.jpg

Back came out a little dark for some reason

iXRJ1LK.jpg

I also taped on the rough trimmed shoulder bell.  So far so good.  But really need the bicep to see the fit.  I'll use Glen's method above when adding the snaps.  

MEIty4d.jpg

• Like 3

Exciting times when you first start wearing pieces :D 

Adding a simple tab of plastic can help stop your sides pulling outwards, glue it to the side which is popping out and it will then sit behind the other. Note make sure you blacken the ab so it's not seen from the outside ;) 

It is definitely exciting seeing it come together!

Here I rough trimmed the arm pieces at the mold lines.  I know the ends of the forearms should have no return edges, but the rest should be pretty close.  Time to start test fitting...

fsq4LkJ.jpg

• Like 3

The biceps!  Trimmed them closer to final.  Test fitting using what would be 5/8" cover strips fits me well (the side still need trimmed to 5/16", just left plenty incase I messed something up this round).

gFe61pC.jpg

w8WorEQ.jpg

sNkbaWK.jpg?1

Let me know if you have any concerns or suggestions.

Always great to see armor coming together. One thing you might consider is removing the return edges at the tops of the biceps completely since they will essentially be hidden by the shoulder bells. This will also spare you some potential armor bite. You can also trim off the notch are shown in the photos below from Joseph's Return Edges 101 thread.

ZhIF9UI.jpg     hPArXvJ.jpg

Edited by MaskedVengeance
photos resized
  • Like 1

Depending on how they sit on your arms personally I wouldn't trim any more return edge off, with my skinny arms I left a lot of return to help keep them from moving too much and to keep them central on the arms, I also added some foam inside so they fit a little tighter on my biceps.

A few other references of the top of the biceps, you will notice some still had the step a the top, some had the cover strips all the way to the top, some stop below the step and some are angled. Going all the way with the cover strip or angled does look better but then they will be sitting under your shoulder bells so won't be seen most of the time ;) 

gallery_12157_59_161393.jpg

gallery_12157_59_206769.jpg

gallery_12157_59_5448.jpg

This is another one of those 'I was on a roll' and already trimmed the tops.  Now I do like how these feel so I'm not worried about them moving around too much.  But I do have skinny wrists, so I might need to add foam or something in the forearms.  I'll start on those next.

kKUnSzi.jpg

Here are the bottom return edges.

1pYTiBE.jpg

• Like 1

I left a lot of return edge as I have skinny arms, I also added foam to keep them central and to stop them moving around.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Question - What should I do with the misalignment of the top of the left forearm?  Especially if I intend on keeping some return edge (on the top).  

40Knxhd.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pic.  Good thing I'm not a photographer.

na3XfpI.jpg

You can keep it or trim it, not requirement at basic or higher levels, I like to trim mine across so it doesn't catch when moving arms

References of both

gallery_12157_59_60802.jpg

gallery_12157_59_161393.jpg

gallery_12157_59_206769.jpg

I also have continued working on the left forearm for the end with no return edge.  Taping it together and sanding it as one piece worked well.  I think I'm good on this one, but let me know if anyone disagrees.  I still have to finish the top end return edge.

PdTljjS.jpg

3cnD118.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good. See how it fits when worn, if you need any more room near the elbow when moving about you can take some more return edge off. My skinny arms needed to keep some return edge to fill the gaps ;) 

• Like 1

I did take some more return edge off as I did need a little more room in the elbow.  Here is what I'm thinking is the final return edge.  Also the red line is where I think the cover strip should stop.  Please let me know if any concerns.

JepM2cM.jpg

RRxpoxp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow, but progress is progress!  I've been working on the forearms here and there.  Left forearm is pretty much done (except some inner cover strips).

Cs3Vrix.jpg

dLlCyHy.jpg

ia4QBQS.jpg

I'm also pretty close to the final trimming of the right forearm.  As always, please let me know if you see anything needing attention.

x5VZ5jg.jpg

CPUMkQi.jpg

8qQqp5u.jpg

• Like 2

they look god to me. good work! . Just one detail you should consider is how they fit on your forearms.

Do Ttey fit you well, neither loose nor stuck.? I would suggest , wearing your inner black shirt to make a test fit.

Some references 

7H607mN.jpg?3  YciTrxD.jpg?2

zGgNyic.jpg?2    7Z9uV9Y.jpg?1   

:salute:

I think the left side fits well with a little looseness at the wrist.  I tried it on with the gloves and that kept it from flopping around.  The right side will need some foam as it is a little loose.

• Like 1

I used some thin foam real quick in the left forearm and had to try it on.  I threw it all together with some painters tape, and quickly tossed the suit on to get some pics while the wife is home.   But overall happy with the fit.

hXtaxjv.jpg

wcvFzAV.jpg

YgB6hRK.jpg

Very cool, Chris! I was actually going to ask you about how you handled the different sized left and right arm pieces. If I recall correctly, and as you mention, the ATA right forearm has a larger circumference than the left, and I believe there are some differences in the biceps, though not as pronounced. On my arms the larger forearm is really just too big so I'm trying to work out how to downsize it, which is a little complicated since the ATA pieces have such hard bends leading to the flat area on which the coverstrips are mounted. I'm thinking I may need to do some boiling water baths on mine, and hopefully not have to use a heat gun.

Edited by MaskedVengeance
"bends" typo