Looking for Spray Plastidip Tips

Ages and ages ago I got an Anovos TFA FOTK Helmet. I removed the hard hat plastic helmet liner and the visor from the inside with the intent to replace them both. I got a Vaderpaint visor but never got around to installing it. I'd like to try and line the inside with Plastidip, as it seems like a fun quarantine project. Is there anything I should know before I take a go at it? The helmet is all in one piece, so I anticipated a lot of masking and lining the outside with a plastic bag to prevent any errors. I figured I'd wipe the inside down with rubbing alcohol and then go for it, but have zero clue how to go about the actual painting process. Also, if I'm looking to install stuff like velcro for helmet padding and potentially some speakers and fans (like what Ukswrath sells) down the line, what additional preparation do I need to do?

Thanks!

The first layer should be very, very light ... Wait 10 or 15 minutes between layers... I gave it about 5 layers I think ... Shake the plastidip well before using it and spray about 20 cm from the helmet.  When finished, spray face down until no more plastidip comes out.

• Like 3

I have used Plasti-Dip spray on all my buckets (including my Tusken Raider) and LOVE it!  In addition to Chemi's notes, here are a few of my suggestions:

1.  Before applying it, sand down as much of the surface as you can with 120 grit sandpaper.  This will give the product a better surface to adhere to**.

2.  Clean it thoroughly afterward with alcohol and let it dry.

3.  Do this outdoors, and I strongly suggest wearing a respirator or at least a decent mask.  This stuff is pretty foul smelling, but has no odor when completely cured (think several days).

**  This is really important.  Since the inside of the bucket normally has a gloss finish, roughing it up will help prevent it from peeling off in the future.  This is especially important when you go to install components like fans, battery packs, etc. using Velcro.  If the Plasti-Dip does not have a surface it can grip to, whatever you attache to it can cause it to pull away from the original surface.

(Trust me).

• Like 3

On 5/6/2020 at 5:53 AM, justjoseph63 said:

I have used Plasti-Dip spray on all my buckets (including my Tusken Raider) and LOVE it!  In addition to Chemi's notes, here are a few of my suggestions:

1.  Before applying it, sand down as much of the surface as you can with 120 grit sandpaper.  This will give the product a better surface to adhere to**.

2.  Clean it thoroughly afterward with alcohol and let it dry.

3.  Do this outdoors, and I strongly suggest wearing a respirator or at least a decent mask.  This stuff is pretty foul smelling, but has no odor when completely cured (think several days).

**  This is really important.  Since the inside of the bucket normally has a gloss finish, roughing it up will help prevent it from peeling off in the future.  This is especially important when you go to install components like fans, battery packs, etc. using Velcro.  If the Plasti-Dip does not have a surface it can grip to, whatever you attache to it can cause it to pull away from the original surface.

(Trust me).

If I don't have rubbing alcohol available, would any cleaning wipe work? I've got a sanding sponge I'm going to try to use to rough up the inside like you suggested. I've got a respirator thankfully. Once I'm done, do I leave it out in the garage (no ac / heat) or take it inside to let it cure there, and how long does curing typically take before you'd feel safe installing components? I want to figure out how I'm attaching my visor next.

• Like 1

If you don't have rubbing alcohol, I would use Windex (or vodka, lol).  You don't want to use a chemical that may leave a film residue of any sort which may affect adhesion. 

As for installing the components, I would wait as long as you can... like a week.  The reason being is that while some products can seem dry (like paint) they need to cure, especially when you have applied multiple coats.  Better safe than sorry.

12 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

If you don't have rubbing alcohol, I would use Windex (or vodka, lol).  You don't want to use a chemical that may leave a film residue of any sort which may affect adhesion. 

As for installing the components, I would wait as long as you can... like a week.  The reason being is that while some products can seem dry (like paint) they need to cure, especially when you have applied multiple coats.  Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll be sure to do this!

15 minutes ago, Harbinger said:

All very good tips. FWIW I sprayed mine disassembled, not sure if the end result is any better or less work but no issues.

Is it possible to disassemble an Anovos FOTK more than removing the lens? If so how do I do that?