Jump to content
Digz Graavz

Digz Graavz Rubies Mod #1

Recommended Posts

So I picked up a couple of Rubies E11s on the advice of a few members so that the younglings can have something to handle other than my good showpiece.  I've seen some great mods and I don't think I'm up to one one a super scale yet, but I think I can do a passable upgrade and a vast improvement to the Etsy slap-dash jobs.

 

Here's my quick list:

Sand down the T Tracks

Drill out the barrel cooling holes

Drill out the matching holes in the folding stock

Drill out the front sight

Drill out the scope and add lenses

Add power cylinders

Add selector switch

Add stock retainer clip

Add set screws to barrel

Add sliding bolt

Add lens to counter

Assorted minor fills for screws etc.

 

I'm sure I'll add more, but that's where I am starting.

 

Many photos to follow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roughly 2-2 1/2 hours and I'm pretty much ready to glue it back together.  At some point I'll probably make a new trigger guard but I don't have the materials at hand for that.

 

I still need to attach the front screws on the barrel, put the lenses in the scope and on the counter, 3d print and attach the bolt puller thingy and the selector switch then fill/sand and paint.

 

This is definitely doable in 1 day. 

 

LPWwmhl.jpg

 

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black base coat on while the greeblies print.  If I had done them ahead of time I'd tear through this.

 

OkrejAG.jpg

 

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More paint drying... still waiting on the 3d print before I can proceed.  Here's what I have done to the blaster so far:

 

-Sanded down the T strips to be flat

-Cut notches in the end of the folding stock and installed a backer plate

-Drilled the holes in the barrel cooler

-Drilled holes in the bottom of the folding stock under the barrel and installed a backing plate

-Drilled holes in the front sight

-Drilled out the lenses in the scope

-Cut out the ejector slot

-Cut out a bolt slot

-Removed guts so that the bolt has a full cylinder, patching with masking tape coated in E6000 (I am calling this Stormtrooper Papier Maché)

-Installed a sheet of ABS to make a bolt

-Carved grooves in the magazine

-Sanded off the "Rubies TM" lettering

-Cut to shape and glued in a plate to make the area around the selector switch look accurate

-Base coat of flat black anywhere that ends up being flat black (basically all but the handle) including any visible interior areas

-Base coat of brass on the scope

- - - - - -

 

Still to do:

-Install the bolt lever thingy

-Install the selector switch

-Install the lenses in the scope

-Glue it back together

-Attach the stock retaining clip

-Print and install the power cylinders

-Fill all holes/seams

-Sand

-Final paint/weathering

-Glue lens on the counter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Digz Graavz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bolt installed, little knob thingy by the muzzle cooling things installed, lens installed, selector switch installed.  It's glued back together and clamped now to dry.  I used E6000 instead of CA, so it will take a bit more time.

 

The power cylinders are printing now and are a quick glue on.

 

After that it's fill and paint which won't take a horribly long time.  It should be all done tomorrow morning as I am waiting on the E6000 to set up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a couple of paint touchups to do, but I have to go to work.  Here's what I've got (bottom is my resin E11)

6RafuPQ.jpg

xzJi0kQ.jpg

NTo2oFk.jpg

KzvovXO.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work, I'm sure any youngling will be glad to get his/her grubby little (small hands smell like cabbage) mitts on them :laugh1:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Nice work, I'm sure any youngling will be glad to get his/her grubby little (small hands smell like cabbage) mitts on them :laugh1:

My standard when building this was "If I were 6 years old, and some Stormtrooper handed this to me, would I care about that blob of paint or be too busy freaking out?"

My resin one on the other hand.... LOL.



 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice improvement on this too. Good work. Congrats.


Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...