[SDS] James' ANH Stunt build - Revived!

FarEast

Well it seems that my original build thread has disappeared and what with the photobucket nonsense it kind of makes sense as all the photos had disappeared to.

Anyway the original build thread is still available - without photos over on the Japan Garrison page here: https://501st.jp/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1851

So today I was able to put some creative talent in the SDS armour to bring it up to spec for the 501st and with the first project being the belt and everything that attaches to it as it required the most work. So with a Rob Kittle belt from Imperial Issue.......hmmmmm yummy!

T2CuUMI.jpg

First job was to remove all parts from the solid ABS SDS belt.

8Bg3PmI.jpg

LohJI83.jpg

POf0ko4.jpg

With the ammo packs free it was time to remove the buttons.

rNDFDWd.jpg

EOHPeGc.jpg

SQFNHsN.jpg

8yUswEO.jpg

With all the parts separated I could go about modifying the abdominal joining point and prepare the soft belt for mounting.

fwZ4Kpl.jpg

QJ8lgKQ.jpg

8613IW9.jpg

pYXutQ8.jpg

From there it was about reattaching the parts

OIU31Cd.jpg

OqeklY8.jpg

The next step was a simple one - modifying the SDS holster

Loops are bad (unless you're building an Inferno Sqd. build and they seem to have loops!)

D5jqfPo.jpg

Snip Snip!

Sn2XX1G.jpg

These were then attached to the belt using white headed snaps.

2x025B0.jpg

mRoBGR2.jpg

RHz7QfX.jpg

Last on the job list today was the Thermal detonator - the clip was just not acceptable and so it was time to do a work over on it.

N5CyAjI.jpg

9yDt2Sa.jpg

Time to remove that horrible clip!

bQouON1.jpg

iSkJma8.jpg

I wanted to make sure that it met the specs so measured everything up - the last thing I wanted was to rebuild the whole thing from scratch.

ckNNhqN.jpg

Time to get building!

MchnQTd.jpg

murXlAn.jpg

tI1nXBi.jpg

8doADc1.jpg

N9noXAl.jpg

zmKzjYw.jpg

ahUEt6l.jpg

So with that done it was time to see how it looked:

1OwTkUZ.jpg

VtbdTmV.jpg

Ignore the plate sticking out on the right - I know you can't now I've said it haha

OoI2uB1.jpg

So all the jobs I planned on doing today are complete - along with another part of the Shoretrooper just finished printing!

rRctnEG.jpg

Any feed back on this would be very much appreciated - from reading the CRL the belt, holster and Thermal Detonator now meet all the requirements for Level 3 so conformation of this would be greatly appreciated and that way I can move on to the next part of the upgrades.

I'm actually only aiming currently for Level2.

Hi James

Thermal Det looks good, belt looks good, but make sure your Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the ends of the plastic ammo portion of the belt. Doesn't matter that that is for level 3 but it is screen accurate and gauging by your build, that's what you are pushing for :)

Nice I3 Prusa printer by the way :duim:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sly11 said:

Hi James

Thermal Det looks good, belt looks good, but make sure your Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the ends of the plastic ammo portion of the belt. Doesn't matter that that is for level 3 but it is screen accurate and gauging by your build, that's what you are pushing for :)

Nice I3 Prusa printer by the way :duim:

Jut the kind of feed back I was after!

make sure your Drop boxes are vertically aligned with the ends of the plastic ammo portion of the belt.

I'm not entirely sure what that actually means is there any photos show how they should align - it will be an easy fix!

Nice work James. TD clips came out nice and drop boxes look in better position. Double check the TD measurements to yours, your tube looks a bit long but that could be photo distortion. The overall length with the end caps should be about 190mm. Sorry if I missed your build thread on the JG forum.  For your build on this forum, it may have been archived so you can ask the staff here to check if so. for the photobucket problem I just added an extension to my Chrome browser that allows me to view all the broken linked photos on all the threads. works like a charm. try it out  if you need it. 

Photobucket Embedded Image Fix

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/photobucket?_category=extensions

33316295901_b93418e54a_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

Nice work James. TD clips came out nice and drop boxes look in better position. Double check the TD measurements to yours, your tube looks a bit long but that could be photo distortion. The overall length with the end caps should be about 190mm.

Its a photo distortion - if you look at the photos one of them is me measuring the the TD cylinder tube its just under 190mm and then with the end caps its spot on 190mm

I think the next step I need to take is start taking photos of each part and get feed back on if needs changing or modifying for Level 2 CRL clearance. That way I can just make a job list and work my way through it.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, FarEast said:

Loops are bad (unless you're building an Inferno Sqd. build and they seem to have loops!)

Or ESB :) and...if you want screen accuracy the small bends on the TD are facing the other way :salute: other than that - great job:duim:

DSC03181_zpsc8019161.jpg
Star Wars Empire Strikes Back: Bluray Capture-59.jpg

1 hour ago, FarEast said:

Its a photo distortion - if you look at the photos one of them is me measuring the the TD cylinder tube its just under 190mm and then with the end caps its spot on 190mm

I think the next step I need to take is start taking photos of each part and get feed back on if needs changing or modifying for Level 2 CRL clearance. That way I can just make a job list and work my way through it.

That’s good news. Somehow the pics looked stretched in my screen so I could really get a good sense for the proportions. It’s all looking good so far. I don’t think it’s a problem but when applying for 2nd or 3rd level clearance, the snaps fixing your holster to the belt might be pointed out since they are white capped. I didn’t read anything in the CRL that says you can’t have them other than silver but not sure exactly on that. In the films they were silver rivets. I used Chicago screws on mine. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 9:36 PM, Bulldog44 said:

That’s good news. Somehow the pics looked stretched in my screen so I could really get a good sense for the proportions. It’s all looking good so far. I don’t think it’s a problem but when applying for 2nd or 3rd level clearance, the snaps fixing your holster to the belt might be pointed out since they are white capped. I didn’t read anything in the CRL that says you can’t have them other than silver but not sure exactly on that. In the films they were silver rivets. I used Chicago screws on mine. 

Right Chicago screws it is then!

bgcmTeM.jpg

Next up getting rid of the screws on the sniper knee!

tSvCoHs.jpg

kL4eMOI.jpg

OplYL7S.jpg

XKHaX9e.jpg

S4yjsY9.jpg

While that's curing time for an easy one - totally non functional.

02H4Lj9.jpg

On 6/7/2018 at 9:36 PM, Bulldog44 said:

Rivets it is then!!!!

or maybe Chicago screws - in the CRL though it says snaps can be used but no colour is given 

So last night I did the scary job of cutting back the trim on the thigh armour that goes all the way to the bottom - because the trimming is of a different type of plastic it’s bonded pretty strong to the main armour and even careful sawing left holes in the armour.

6vY6SOn.jpg

I filled these with ABS putty base from the  original belt backer.

hnAuaML.jpg

first heavily filling the back of the thigh armour to give added strength and then to the front.

hnAuaML.jpg

This morning the putty had cured enough to add another layer.

L4C2om5.jpg

once this has fully cured it will be sanded back and then polished to hopefully match the rest of the armour.

• Like 1

Did your thigh armor parts have the front trim the full length of the front seam? It is okay if there is a visible seam there as the original armor had. Like you, i wanted the seam almost invisible. I just glued some scrap plastic behind the seam lines to make them less visible and also add strength. Good luck sanding it back and polishing. :duim:

10 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

Did your thigh armor parts have the front trim the full length of the front seam? It is okay if there is a visible seam there as the original armor had. Like you, i wanted the seam almost invisible. I just glued some scrap plastic behind the seam lines to make them less visible and also add strength. Good luck sanding it back and polishing. :duim:

Yes, which according to reference is incorrect so I took a look at other SDS armour builds here and replicated what they did.

As for the seams - actually it was a pretty big gap (3mm) as I have large thighs and to accommodate them the armour was built by SDS to fit me. I might sculpt a seam line in.

6 minutes ago, FarEast said:

Yes, which according to reference is incorrect so I took a look at other SDS armour builds here and replicated what they did.

As for the seams - actually it was a pretty big gap (3mm) as I have large thighs and to accommodate them the armour was built by SDS to fit me. I might sculpt a seam line in.

With a  big gap as you said, you did the right thing. I wouldn’t replicate a line just yet. See how it looks after you get it sanded and polished,it should be just fine like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bulldog44 said:

With a  big gap as you said, you did the right thing. I wouldn’t replicate a line just yet. See how it looks after you get it sanded and polished,it should be just fine like that. 

I'm at a loss for where I need to be looking for reference materials n what I need to modify on my armour to get it to level two - or even level 3. I'm feeling a bit lost without visual aids.

I can be frustrating for sure. My best source was the screen shots from ANH. There are plenty of photos in the gallery section and worth pouring over. Also it’s best to post up photos of any part you are not sure about and ask away before attempting another mod, plenty of veteran members here who know their armor inside out and can guide you to level 2 or 3. Also if you have time, I can try and meet up with you sometime and answer any questions you may have, modding the SDS armor is not my specialty but I can research anything you are concerned about. Happy to help out however I can. 

• Like 2

Also have a look at the centurion approved armor applicant threads. Approved SDS for either level 2 or 3 will have undergone the correct mods to pass. But I would only refer to recent approved applicants so the mods they have undergone are according to the latest level requirements.

• Like 1