FN1313's Jimmiroqaui FOTK Armor Build

More pictures = more progress.

So here we go.

I took the lid of a Plastidip can and cut it down in size to match TLJ TD end cap. I used some CA glue to glue it into place on the end of the TD before I sand down and prime again. Not shown in this picture. I also used some spot putty to close the seams from the cap and the TD so it's a continuous piece.

zTfokY4.jpg

Then it was on to more paint:

gFkxuHf.jpg

aGWEgZF.jpg

0qxQ9c0.jpg

The wind did actually lift the box and throw a lot of the armor while wet, so I had to wet sand down to smooth again and then do it over again. These pictures are after that happened.

Finally I applied the jim kit decals I got from trooperbay onto the hand plates now that they are fully cured with the enamel.

v6KiMyX.jpg

Get some time off tomorrow so I will do some more work. Can't wait to enamel what I have done next Monday.

• Like 2

More updates. Had a good time this weekend doing some more work.

Got the belt boxes ready to go for attaching to the belt. Just need to go get some more CA glue to finish getting them added to the belt.

B37pKfO.jpg

Painted the chest piece

Z57UEbf.jpg

And used spot filler putty on the ab plate and yoke.

Th2brV9.jpg

Holy crap that's a lot of spot filler.

GqAIUOm.jpg

I noticed I was having issues with the extended front piece on the yoke in putting it on and taking it off with risk of too much stretch and cracking around the shoulders. Because of this I opted to do some trimming of the front piece so I can get it on and off easier while still having enough to use the magnet method I had setup.

zsCpMBo.jpg

nPUE8wz.jpg

Ww3eWf3.jpg

WcE1JKa.jpg

Q9TIOUF.jpg

j3Ky3w0.jpg

So much better now.

So from here I'm going to finish the belt, and then I will clear coat/wax the chest piece in a day or so after it's cured.

The remaining bits to do are just sanding down the spot filler putty with 600 grit, then painting the rest of the components. Attaching the velcro to the spots I need to and the gaffer's tape on the insides.

Here's to hoping I've got it ready for approval process to start some time next week give or take. Hope to be approved before my garrison's next troop in a few weeks.

Finished building my Belts of the First Order belt today.

w7DEu5W.jpg

Just needed some more CA glue to help.

I forgot to take better documentation pictures as I was so excited to get another thing done, but what I did was I used some strips of industrial strength velcro, punched a 5mm hole in the center of them. I then pushed the female end of the Chicago screws through these holes. I had removed the plastic adhesive cover and then put some CA glue on the adhesive as well. After that I attached those to the two front boxes and let sit to cure.

For the side boxes though I did take some pictures.

EySfSvr.jpg

So I punched two 5mm holes in the nylon strips provided and pulled the elastic string through. (As indicated in the instructions) I then used CA glue to attach these to the the back of the boxes as well.

As you can see in the first picture I attached the side boxes lower than the front boxes (the picture doesn't show it as nicely, but they are supposed to be a little lower on the belt)

And I tested the fit and look with the cod and butt plate alone:

uqmMAEj.jpg

Above: you can see the side ammo packs sit lower.

5dujjjX.jpg

qj2qfKT.jpg

• Like 2

Finished building my Belts of the First Order belt today.

w7DEu5W.jpg

Just needed some more CA glue to help.

I forgot to take better documentation pictures as I was so excited to get another thing done, but what I did was I used some strips of industrial strength velcro, punched a 5mm hole in the center of them. I then pushed the female end of the Chicago screws through these holes. I had removed the plastic adhesive cover and then put some CA glue on the adhesive as well. After that I attached those to the two front boxes and let sit to cure.

For the side boxes though I did take some pictures.

EySfSvr.jpg

So I punched two 5mm holes in the nylon strips provided and pulled the elastic string through. (As indicated in the instructions) I then used CA glue to attach these to the the back of the boxes as well.

As you can see in the first picture I attached the side boxes lower than the front boxes (the picture doesn't show it as nicely, but they are supposed to be a little lower on the belt)

And I tested the fit and look with the cod and butt plate alone:

uqmMAEj.jpg

Above: you can see the side ammo packs sit lower.

5dujjjX.jpg

qj2qfKT.jpg

Great work.love the shiny paint too.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, FN-1313 said:

5dujjjX.jpg

Looking good Kyle. Though not a deal breaker by any means the center front belt boxes should be closer together. Here's a reference photo

TKJ%20FOTK%20cod%203.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukswrath said:

Looking good Kyle. Though not a deal breaker by any means the center front belt boxes should be closer together. Here's a reference photo

TKJ%20FOTK%20cod%203.jpg

I can probably bring them in just a smidge

16 hours ago, ukswrath said:

I was trying to figure out if it was because of the curvature of the cod.

No, it was definitely a little more width between the pieces. I actually last night went and re-positioned the right box a little closer in. Thanks for the response though. Rather catch it now than later.

Edited by FN-1313
  • Like 1

Alright. Somewhat nice update here.

So I worked on painting the calves and the Yoke this week. Paint went well overall. I was then able to attach velcro to the calves inner seam now too.

dOtVzjp.jpg

My compression shirt and pants came in too. So I figured it was time for a quick few pictures.

p4cT2SS.jpg

MVfcDlX.jpg

zkccbRs.jpg

Here's the closer look a the back of the yoke.

RHVoYMK.jpg

• Like 2

Getting close.

Just a tip, I added some foam behind the back and chest sections so they don’t rub on the ab and TD, could be worth a look to save the paint getting rubbed off.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Getting close.

Just a tip, I added some foam behind the back and chest sections so they don’t rub on the ab and TD, could be worth a look to save the paint getting rubbed off.

Yeah I’ve seen that from a few builds myself. I threw in some of the soft side of Velcro where it would run to help. Might need foam though. I will check.

@gmrhodes13

definitely adding the foam. My first pre approval fit scratched paint so I painted those spots again and now will add some foam. The Velcro didn’t quite pad enough.

Im doing that and then getting my approval pics tonight. Hoping to get at least some temp approval for a troop next week.

So get ready for some pretty pictures.

Edited by FN-1313
  • Like 2

Read in many fiberglass repair sites recommendations to use fiberglass resin to fill and repair cracks in fiberglass. Since the CA glue hasn’t been working, I did this method this time. Having some on hand I’ve filled the crack thus.

Luckily this happened after sending approval pics in. So from here, just some light sanding over the spot and then touch up paint.

200C7967-C752-4A61-8DBF-64B3BD8A67AB.jpeg

3 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

For strength I also use the fibreglass matting, without it the resin can be quite brittle.

Yep, the only way to go in my opinion also.