FN1313's Jimmiroqaui FOTK Armor Build

Here's the Helmet process pics:

Post Initial sanding down to 320 grit.

p3iYiWn.jpg

9jimfmR.jpg

SmukZqS.jpg

t5BfuAO.jpg

These show how I marked the little holes after priming. Those holes I fixed with bondo filler.

vlA4jEE.jpg

7n0zTYI.jpg

6cnVKpP.jpg

GFLv8SH.jpg

xQ1xHuN.jpg

And the Bondo filler

6Z1sRvF.jpg

Ps4ldEg.jpg

3x5U7cI.jpg

hpJgdCE.jpg

cVV2j2H.jpg

Sanded down the bondo with 320 grit

3JsypXH.jpg

Then primed again:

8nlUdt9.jpg

6tySkVJ.jpg

slMj0Ws.jpg

UIh2H8H.jpg

Here's the trimmed leg pieces. I further got the sewing done to fit the gaskets right. Arms still in progress sewing.

CPU17lV.jpg

W1gYLJL.jpg

Pdy3xvw.jpg

7ubBojo.jpg

l7pyWYP.jpg

• Like 2

Did some more work last night now that the marine grade snaps I ordered came in. I setup the snaps for the shoulders and the back of the ab plate to hold it closed. I've got the connector snaps set for the codpiece, just need to get the strap snaps setup to hold it on. The butt plate will be installed soon and then the thigh straps will have their snaps set for the thighs soon as well. 

I got a hard hat liner for a welders mask from amazon. It was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RIFGE6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It sits really well and holds well. I'm going to need to get some additional foam padding to add some distance between the top of the helmet and the top of my head as well as pad the surrounding areas of the top of the helmet around the hard hat liner just for more accurate look when wearing and padding.

The shoulder supports hold the shoulder pieces at perfect height. Looking forward to getting my gaskets finished in sizing up and then I can do a full armor test fit.

Forgive my sweat soaked shirt, it was easily 100 degrees here and those marine snaps take a lot to get set even with snap pliers.

SfQbOZt.jpg

Ugv0HuS.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ghollum said:

An impolite person?? Wtf..kicking assssssss

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Dang, that must have been a really impolite person. JK, Thanks! I hope to get a good build thread for everyone and have it done soon. Where I stand there's just a few snaps to setup on the armor and then from there it's sanding, priming and painting.

• Like 1

Small update.

I've been very busy the past few nights, so only had time to do this. I will get the other rigging photos tonight as I finish the snaps and get going on sanding.

8j9uWPw.jpg

pRNXyGl.jpg

8BO6QWP.jpg

I installed the welder's mask liner with some CA glue and then padded the top and the sides with this lovely green padding stuff. This way it fits perfectly as well as isn't bobblehead trooper.

Soon, gentlemen, soon :D

• Like 4

You wanted them, WE GOT THEM! PICTURES!

Alright first I worked on the strapping system for the codpiece and the butt plate.

QQ79Ula.jpg

Essentially I've got some 1 inch Nylon webbing and marine snaps that hold things together. The magnets don't do anything, they just are solidly glued. I have open snap spots just in case I decide at some point I need more straps.

I did the same snap method for the butt plate and cod piece.

YjKWaxK.jpg

uOSIwHX.jpg

The TD is only held on right now with the plastic hook I created on top.

Then I was in a rut waiting on my harness system to get sewed. So I worked on the helmet:

PnMOy8S.jpg

Wet sanded with 600 grit on the primer and taped up.

YC8nBMD.jpg

nhFMSsb.jpg

hk88mCG.jpg

s3p8Epl.jpg

Wrapping up the work on the helmet while waiting. After the harness is done I can finalize snaps and then get working on the rest.

• Like 3

Coming along nicely. Just a tip with painting masked areas, if you use some white first it will fill in any gaps in the masking tape then you can paint black over the top and it shouldn't bleed ;) 

I actually found it easier to paint the whole helmet white, then mask, a quick coat of white to fill the masking area then black over the top.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 4:49 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Coming along nicely. Just a tip with painting masked areas, if you use some white first it will fill in any gaps in the masking tape then you can paint black over the top and it shouldn't bleed ;) 

I actually found it easier to paint the whole helmet white, then mask, a quick coat of white to fill the masking area then black over the top.

That’s what I’m going to do next. Some bad weather hit right after I sprayed enamel and it cracked real bad all over. So I had to spend the day sanding down to bones and repainting the primer... this time though...hopefully all goes better.

I’ve got my harness done with the gaskets, so tomorrow I’m going to figure out the last snaps for the thighs, then test wear the armor. Got some sanding to do going forward now.

• Like 1

A'ight. Got an update so far.

First off. Helmet paint. I had weather come through and I think I sprayed enamel too early and it cracked...thus I had to strip and sand and start over.

JobuaOC.jpg

WwFcHeg.jpg

6u3OxgE.jpg

I fully sanded all armor pieces from 100 to 220 to 320 grit so they are ready for priming. I also primed the chest piece.

vGGywfr.jpg

4d7lcZB.jpg

I wanted to do a test fit with my rigging now sewn together. So I also did plastidip on the shoulders to prevent scratching

QT8bTet.jpg

here's my harness/snap system. the next pictures show how it was before I updated the snaps in this picture.

0eho5zA.jpg

0vpGFQg.jpg

Tg3Rfq5.jpg

4T4Q0i7.jpg

Uw1xYmZ.jpg

As I mentioned I updated my snaps so that the ab plate sits higher, thus raising the TD under the back plate too. The shoulders sit great, Just have to pull the biceps up a little higher and then they don't swallow the shoulder bells.

Finally I used Bondo on the areas that had some rough patches so I can soon sand it down to smooth.

FVHJLkv.jpg

cnxFhRt.jpg

ZQ9jARr.jpg

GRuEwIO.jpg

Pn6qGId.jpg

2KA7dMI.jpg

Taking a brief break now because I've got some other things I'm busy with for a few nights. But soon I will finish sanding and start priming everything.

I've also opted with painting to paint it all in white first. Probably 6+ coats of light spraying instead of light spray, medium, heavy. I will from there detail the black spots with paint and give it a good 3-5+ days of curing and all before enamel again. 

I've been told that this is good as this lets it fully cure and get the gasses out of the paint before that enamel. However if anyone has better ideas on how to solid coat/clear coat that rustoleum 2x so it doesn't crack on me, I'm up for ideas.

Doing good Kyle, keep up the good work. Painting can be frustrating, my only suggestion is warmth. Dry warm environment is key. If can you recreate it by making a booth or waiting for warmer weather it will save you a lot work. 

2 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Doing good Kyle, keep up the good work. Painting can be frustrating, my only suggestion is warmth. Dry warm environment is key. If can you recreate it by making a booth or waiting for warmer weather it will save you a lot work. 

Yeah good info. Generally it has been quite dry and warm being in Utah, but it just happened to be the one wrong day that messed it up lol.

• Like 1

Nice work, painting with enamel is a drag hence I went with acrylic automotive paint. Keep up the good work

Okay, I'm putting this here to remind me as I've been so busy recently, but tonight I'm going to sand down the Bondo'ed sections and then start priming the rest of the armor components. I hope to prep things to the point that I can paint again this weekend.

I also have read with rustoleum 2x to try putting the clear coat on 30 minutes after the last color coat. That way it cures with the coat instead of peeling it away. Either that or wait a few weeks. What I'm going to do is test this with a large piece of plastic and see if that 30 minute method works. I also got a new camera recently so I will be sure to video the process for future users if this works.

• Like 1

Alright, another quick update.

I just got some spot filler for all the pock mark holes on this armor. Been working on filling them in. Because I wanted to test out the enamel on the rustoleum after a good time of letting it sit and cure (all weekend at least) I got the hand and knee plates ready for painting as well and did the white paint coating on them. Here are pictures.

VYg6mda.jpg

HUzbo1E.jpg

yAScFb3.jpg

qtsfOoi.jpg

xR8Agnv.jpg

So now just waiting for the armor pieces to dry, test enamel and if it works right I'm going to then finish this project up.

Also I'm videoing this so I can have some videos to view. Those will take some time to get available though.

Not sure if you know but you can wet sand the spot putty, helps stop the sandpaper from clogging and will last a little longer. Spot putty also needs a long time to cure and sometimes for deeper holes it's best to apply in a couple of coats as it can shrink.

Almost there, keep up the great work

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Not sure if you know but you can wet sand the spot putty, helps stop the sandpaper from clogging and will last a little longer. Spot putty also needs a long time to cure and sometimes for deeper holes it's best to apply in a couple of coats as it can shrink.

Almost there, keep up the great work

Yeah I’ve been wet sanding it down before I do another layer of primer. Then after that I’ve gone to the white paint. I love how smooth the wet sanded armor feels!

4 hours ago, FN-1313 said:

Yeah I’ve been wet sanding it down before I do another layer of primer. Then after that I’ve gone to the white paint. I love how smooth the wet sanded armor feels!

Wetsanding is the best :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

Update time!

So I stuck with the Rustoleum 2x for my paint to see if I could get it to work by better following the instructions on the cans. I had previously sprayed my hand plates and knee plates with two coats of the 2x gloss white. It covered really well even with lighter coatings of spray so I didn't really need more than two coats. From here I let this sit over the weekend (three days exactly) while I worked on filling spots on the rest of the armor components. 

Here's a visual representation of what you might be dealing with when filling spots. It seemed scary that I had that much to cover, but to be honest the spot filler is only going to make the parts smoother and more beautiful, so definitely use this as an opportunity to get very picky about what you are filling. I've found in some of my first runs filling spots I've actually missed some areas that I've gone back over and covered so I could have better outcomes.

The best ways I've found to actually find where to cover are first, to use a well lit area or have a light close and nearby while you look from many angles. This will point out the little areas to cover. Next after you've filled, let sit for 24 hours, and then wet sanded back down with 600 grit. If you can't see anything, prime it again. This will either prove you've covered what you intended and are ready to paint, or that you have missed some spots. Again, take your time with this. It will prove worth it in the long run.

sPm2ATl.jpg

bndW4qB.jpg

Now from here I had let the previously painted pieces sit over the weekend and cure for a good 72 hours. I yesterday decided to take the risk again and use the enamel clear coat. And it worked out just fine. So I think I'm good to say that with Rustoleum 2x if you give yourself a good 72 hours before clear coat you shouldn't have the awful paint destruction like I had when I first did my helmet. Here's the results:

keoo6S8.jpg

Finally,

I started the white paint on two more pieces that I had filled, primed and sanded.

8HISVoT.jpg

Their turn to cure for 72 hours.

Forgive all the random messes. I'm using a lot of old plastic containers and all to rest the dried armor on just in case so I don't get it all over the house. I don't have very much room to store these in a garage or so at the moment.

More to come!

• Like 4

Alright. Now that I'm more secure on knowing how to use this paint and clear coat here's my most recent update:

Finished up the Helmet. Letting it dry/cure and next Monday will enamel it (I'm giving it more than 3 days just because it's a real pain so I'm being more cautious with it.) I will also work on painting a few other parts so I can enamel them all next Monday.

j8aa3Oe.jpg

fpnH8px.jpg

8O8xuBq.jpg

Wz4KLQE.jpg

geR5jC3.jpg

axJbSQ6.jpg

14n5kAk.jpg

Oh so pretty.

Can't wait to clear coat and get it smoother and prettier.

• Like 2