Some basic questions

Hello, so this is the first time I’ve ever been on a site like this although I have watched things like 501st events before. Really I’ve never even tried to make clone armor before and when I look up tutorials all I usually get is a list of materials to make the armor nothing on the actual construction. My main questions in constructing armor is, how much do they generally cost, what is the easiest way to construct armor out of hard materials (plastic, fiberglass, ect.), if anywhere is there a well made video or text tutorial going in depth on this, and finally what do you recommend someone who is just starting out to do. Thanks for taking the time to read and double thanks if you respond!

Hello and welcome to the FISD!  I have a few questions. Are you looking to just put together a set of armor and join the 501st?  Are you looking to build a Clone Trooper or a Stormtrooper?  Are you looking to build molds, create and cast armor? (I ask because you posted in that thread). I just am trying to make sure I can provide you with the necessary information. 

Welcome, Liam!  If you are looking to join the 501st as a Clone Trooper, I would check out their site as well:  https://www.501stclonetroopers.com/.  There are suppliers of armor specific to that Detachment, and they could probably steer you in the right direction.  

welcome!  I'm not sure I understand your questions.  Do you want stormtrooper or clone armor?  Do you want to just purchase an armor kit and construct your armor?  Or do you want to build from the ground-up by creating molds, then casting?   Or scratch-building from raw plastic/fiberglass materials?

14 hours ago, starsaber25 said:

Hello and welcome to the FISD!  I have a few questions. Are you looking to just put together a set of armor and join the 501st?  Are you looking to build a Clone Trooper or a Stormtrooper?  Are you looking to build molds, create and cast armor? (I ask because you posted in that thread). I just am trying to make sure I can provide you with the necessary information. 

I am looking to create some clone armor, and I would like to learn how to build molds as well as casts and armor yes. Thank you!

13 hours ago, justjoseph63 said:

Welcome, Liam!  If you are looking to join the 501st as a Clone Trooper, I would check out their site as well:  https://www.501stclonetroopers.com/.  There are suppliers of armor specific to that Detachment, and they could probably steer you in the right direction.  

I plan to join the 501st when I turn 18 but currently I'm unable to, and having looked on their website most of the armor builds I saw simply gave materials for what was needed unless I was looking in the wrong place.

5 hours ago, Thumpy~ said:

welcome!  I'm not sure I understand your questions.  Do you want stormtrooper or clone armor?  Do you want to just purchase an armor kit and construct your armor?  Or do you want to build from the ground-up by creating molds, then casting?   Or scratch-building from raw plastic/fiberglass materials?

I would like to start with clone armor, and on weather I want a kit or to build from the ground up both I suppose. I would like to learn how to make armor in general so when I want a new set I don't need to go buy one, but I would also like to learn where reliable and semi-affordable kits can be bought from and what to do with a kit once I get one.

The Clone Trooper Detachment is the place to go for all things clone-related! Most people will buy a kit that needs to be trimmed to size and assembled, as creating moulds and pulling armour is not a cheap or easy endeavour! There is a subforum here called "The Foundry" where you may be able to learn a bit more about the process.

15 hours ago, Liamster225 said:

I would like to start with clone armor, and on weather I want a kit or to build from the ground up both I suppose. I would like to learn how to make armor in general so when I want a new set I don't need to go buy one, but I would also like to learn where reliable and semi-affordable kits can be bought from and what to do with a kit once I get one.

You got time on your hands to learn a great deal then before you turn 18 years old.  Age doesn't preclude you from buying some good quality armor.  For Clone, I recommend OSCS.  It's the most accurate.  You can still be involved in 501st and not be 18 years old, .e.g. being on this forum and reading the experiences of others, joining the Galactic Academy for youth.  Ask your local unit if you could be involved in other ways, e.g. attending armor-building gatherings (parental permission required of course) and see firsthand the armor you might acquire.  You can learn a great deal from official 501st members.  Have a lot of fun.:)

Edited by Thumpy~