Cleaning CA Glue

Hey all!

Just wondering if there is any specialty on getting CA glue prints and marks off of armor? I'm working on a shadow stormtrooper as my second kit (have a TK as well) and have made a slight mess on the backs of the thighs.

Am I SOL or does a ton or rubbing alcohol work or do I send 400 grit then 1000 grit as I've read and polish with automotive or Novus (not sure which levels, I have two levels of it)?

I have that testors black for the thermal detonator but I'm wondering if that is the only way to get this stuff removed.

Thanks! 

Really depends how deep the marks are, buffing compound may work for slight marks, for deeper marks a combinations of different grade wet/dry sandpaper, use with soapy water as it will last longer. I would finish with a 1200 or 2000 ultra fine, the finer the sandpaper the less compound polish will be needed.

Be very careful using alcohol or acetone, these can burn and dull the finish.

Okay thanks! Yeah I knew that acetone will melt the ABS, this is an Anovos kit. I purchased some 400, 800, and 1500 grit sandpaper for it. At this stage I figure that probably my only option is to sand it and polish probably. I don't think that rubbing alcohol is gonna do it either?

I'm gonna try and attach some files too.

**EDIT**

Forgot that you said the finish could dull with alcohol.

Edited by IcyTrooper

I'll do a combo sand of 400 and then 800 (wet with soapy water) and then progress to the 1500  (wet with soapy water) that I have. Then I think maybe Novus 1 and then Novus 2?

I'm going to order some Novus 3 just in case. I know that I have some of that Turtle Wax Jet Black spray detailer and wax that I use for my all black Fusion that I'm starting to wonder if it will work. It isn't compound though, so might just have to use it for the shine. @Harbinger @gmrhodes13

2 minutes ago, IcyTrooper said:

I'll do a combo sand of 400 and then 800 (wet with soapy water) and then progress to the 1500  (wet with soapy water) that I have. Then I think maybe Novus 1 and then Novus 2?

I'm going to order some Novus 3 just in case. I know that I have some of that Turtle Wax Jet Black spray detailer and wax that I use for my all black Fusion that I'm starting to wonder if it will work. It isn't compound though, so might just have to use it for the shine. @Harbinger @gmrhodes13

I don't use the Novus polish but I do know they have one that is more for compound use than shine. You can try with what you have and then if it doesn't bring up the shine enough purchase more of a compound polish. I have used the black polish on gunner helmets and it does help to bring out the shine and give it a deep darker appearance, perhaps use this at the end. Good luck, I'm sure you won't need it :D

1 minute ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I don't use the Novus polish but I do know they have one that is more for compound use than shine. You can try with what you have and then if it doesn't bring up the shine enough purchase more of a compound polish. I have used the black polish on gunner helmets and it does help to bring out the shine and give it a deep darker appearance, perhaps use this at the end. Good luck, I'm sure you won't need it :D

That sounds good enough to me, I'm always appreciative of additional information on what works to keep the dark appearance! I'm sure I'm making this a bigger deal than it has to be, like I usually do. I curse being a perfectionist sometimes! It was easier to hide any mistakes on the white stormtrooper armor, the black isn't as forgiving. :lol:

• Like 1

E6000 is one of those glues that works great for black armor, I now it takes a while to dry but you don't get that plume staining or marking, you just rub off the excess glue once it's dry with a rag or your thumb :duim:

Just now, gmrhodes13 said:

E6000 is one of those glues that works great for black armor, I now it takes a while to dry but you don't get that plume staining or marking, you just rub off the excess glue once it's dry with a rag or your thumb :duim:

Like 95% of my shadow stormtrooper armor is E6000 but I had used CA glue on my TK thighs and figured "oh, what could go wrong?" LOL of course... I even have the black E6000 too :lol:

The only stuff I have left to finish is attach sniper knee, attach cover strip on back of shins, drill holes for snaps, and assemble the thermal detonator and I'm done.

• Like 1

I will agree in that I only used clear E6000 on my wife’s Anovos Shadow Trooper and it turned out great. If you have to use CA glue for some strange reason get the “foam safe” CA and it won’t leave the white marks and fogging.

69d3ab32225aef4db78d8725f100420a.jpg

@mikidymac that is a good tip! I will keep that in mind for future CA glue use. I literally only wanted to use the CA glue for the thighs since they are harder to get done like I did with my TK and made a mess haha...

I'm most likely just going to pretend that it is dirt/grime and/or battle damage because trying to wet sand it off with high grit sandpaper and compound isn't working too well. I have Novus 3 that I haven't put on there yet. Luckily most of this stuff is on the back so it isn't a huge deal.