Suspend's Doopydoo's E11 (with T-Jay's Kit + Suitcase Props) Build

Suspend

Thank you CableGuy and T-Jay for the replies on mounting the counter.  Things have really fallen into place over the last week, so here's an update....

Weathering:

So I'll have to start by saying that my blaster is pretty much done.  I tried a few methods of weathering, but I have to say that the "dry brush" technique sure worked nice in my opinion.

I started off with the scope.  I had purchased a little tin of humbrol Antique Brass and after applying a coat of Tamiya primer to the scope, I thinned this paint down and used an airbrush to paint the scope antique brass.  This was my first time using an airbrush.  I purchased just the sprayer and attached it to an existing air compressor that I already had for power tools.  But I have to say that I wasn't too pleased with the results.  As with other builds I have read, the tone of brass just wasn't what I had imagined.  It was quite orange in color.  In the end I sprayed over the Humbrol brass in matte black and used the dry brush technique using Testors Gold to make it look like some brass was showing through.  I think the Testors Gold was more the tone I was looking for.

Then I continued with the rest of the blaster, everything Tamiya matte black and then I used Metallic Aluminum to very gently highlight the edges using a brush.  I would dip the brush in the Humbrol metallic aluminum and then wipe the brush off on a paper towel until nothing was visible coming off the brush anymore.  Then I would very gently touch the brush to an edge and find that there was still WAY too much paint on the brush and I'd wipe the brush off on paper towel a lot more and try again.  Eventually I found I could nicely highlight edges and rough areas to make it look like the black paint was thin or coming off in areas.  This was a lot of fun.

I used the same Testors Gold on the back 1/2 of the counter.

For the bolt and the shinier metal around the trigger assembly, I used the metallic aluminum as the base.  Then I would paint gun metal in the crevasses and wipe it off right away with a rag.  After that dried I would use matte black, again painted into the cracks and crevasses and wiped off.  This made the more metallic parts look kind of dirty/oily/grimy and not so bright/shiny/clean.

The handle/grip was painted gloss black with a gloss clear coat.  My hopes is that the clear coat will protect a handle a bit more since this will probably be the most handled part of the gun.

After this everything was assembled and some retouching on the weathering.  I think the weathering is quite lite.  I didn't do any heavy paint chips or larger areas of scratched off paint.  Personally I like the more gentle weathering.

Here's how I ended up attaching the counter and scope to the scope rail...

ScopeRail

And here are some pictures of the blaster.  Sorry the quality of the photos aren't the best, but you get the idea....

Blaster_1

Blaster_2

Blaster_3

Blaster_4

Blaster_5

Blaster_6

Blaster_7

Blaster_8

I really want to thank everyone who helped out and tirelessly answered questions.  T-Jay, CableGuy, DracoTrooper, BaneLives85, Wook1138 and everyone else who helped out.  You guys are awesome and I couldn't have done it without you.

If I take some better (outdoor) pics, I'll post those...

Mark

• Like 5

Congratulations on finishing this excellent blaster, Mark. :jc_doublethumbup:

You have included a maximum of available modifications from top to toe and went extra deep into the rabbit hole of painting and weathering. From my point of view, it all paid off and you ended up with a superb blaster. That thing will not only be good for trooping, it will also look stunning on a display at home...

Looking forward to see your outdoor pictures - but be aware to not scare somebody outside. ;)

Edited by T-Jay

• 2 weeks later...