A Texas R1TK Build (Jimmi)

What adhesive are you using, out of curiosity?

I wonder if using something like E6000 instead of just dry clamping, if that would give you the flex needed to avoid stress cracks.

Edited by Harbinger

What did you use to trim your shins?  Can you cut the fibreglass with lexan scissors like you do abs or does it need a dremel and cutting wheel or similar?

Sorry for delayed response. The flexible fiberglass is easy to cut. I've even made cuts with large scissors for upper thigh adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/30/2017 at 11:59 AM, Harbinger said:

What adhesive are you using, out of curiosity?

I wonder if using something like E6000 instead of just dry clamping, if that would give you the flex needed to avoid stress cracks.

The thing is  that the OT kits are put together differently to the Jimmi RO TK.

With the OT construction they're put together using the but and coverstrip, which means that when you flex it to put it on that force is spread across the whole surface.

With Jim's kit though the coverstrip is molded onto one side, when you flex it all the force is concentrated in the area I've circled below.  This is exactly where mine cracked.

I'm not sure that the glue used would make any difference?

ySCrDAT.jpg

16 hours ago, Big Deal said:

Yeah. It's flexible, but not that flexible. Are you able to slide your shin in from the top with it clamped without putting too much stress on the joint?

Not really, it cracked when I tried and I don’t have particularly large calves.  That’s why I’m thinking to keep them in 2 halves and using Velcro front and back.

Don't do full strips of velcro. I made the mistake of using wide pieces of industrial strength velcro for the front and back of the side connections for the chest/back armor. Starting making cracks from all the pealing of the velcro. I'd advise small quantities of the Industrial strength.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dragon_a said:

Not really, it cracked when I tried and I don’t have particularly large calves.  That’s why I’m thinking to keep them in 2 halves and using Velcro front and back.

How about the forearms? Do you thing you could slide them in with one side glued?

On 02/12/2017 at 11:15 PM, Big Deal said:

How about the forearms? Do you thing you could slide them in with one side glued?

I can just about with the forearms.  However, they’re held together with a simpler overlap so I can glue one side and Velcro the other, the flex is minimal.

sorry to highjack your thread THM, as someone who has completed their build did you have this issue?

I can just about with the forearms.  However, they’re held together with a simpler overlap so I can glue one side and Velcro the other, the flex is minimal.

sorry to highjack your thread THM, as someone who has completed their build did you have this issue?

No problem. I don’t have the problem only because I wasn’t as successful closing the gap at the right knee as you so I don’t have horizontal stress you describe. I also seem to have more flexibility in the material than you describe because I’m able to slide my foot in without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk