Shoulder straps & issues!

So.. TrooperMaster ANH 2mm stunt arrived and while I'm still trimming more of weight off I started on the misc parts.

The first thing that went wrong was an end cap on the TD which when cooled, started to split - Ordered a new one off Paul!

Shoulder straps

I've took too much off the edges of the one at the top, bottom one looks better... so yet again ordered new ones to start again!

shoulderstrapproblem.jpg

I've moved onto the drop boxes.

I've trimmed down and these have gone OK.

The inners don't fit flush in the outer drop boxes yet. Bit more off?

dropboxes3.jpg

dropboxes2.jpg

Finally...

Those who have done 2mm builds

What lexans have you used?

I've gone through 2 sets so far one set bent, one set split and I've only trimmed the bells, straps, drop boxes and belt!

I've 3 more sets ordered but man this plastic is tough!

Anyone got any tips?

brokenlexans.jpg

Hey Mike nice work :duim:

As for suggestions, I'll begin with take your time brother. We've all started where your at and unless you've done this kind of thing before something wrong can creep up on you very quickly as you found out, so easy into it. We'll be here for you. 

As for what to do, if you haven't done so already may I encourage you to take a look at a few build threads, specifically those built to the Centurion level. There you'll find answers to some of the questions you're asking and concerns you're being hit with.  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

Regarding the tough plastic. Though scissors work in most applications sometimes a good ole fashion exacto knife is a better choice. The golden rule in building almost anything is "Measure twice, cut once", you armor is no exception. A steel straight edge/ruler and exacto knife work wonders. "Score and snap" is a term you'll hear a lot here on the FISD. Use it to your advantage.

Regarding the drop boxes, though we generally like to see the inner box flush with the outer it doesn't have to be, just close.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

The Lexan scissors are great for a lot of things, but to be honest I prefer a set of inexpensive tin snips like these:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Stanley-FATMAX-2-in-1055-Snips/50237885

Like Tony mentioned, a good heavy duty razor knife will be your best friend for scoring and snapping.  I highly recommend using a metal straight-edge (clamped to the piece you are cutting) to insure that the lines stay straight.  When cutting/scoring, go slowly and make a few shallow cuts rather than trying to make one deep one.

As for your shoulder straps, the one on the top is actually fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for replying.
Yeah, got quite a few "go to" build threads to look at.
I've a build thread on UKG but will start one in the build threads. More input the better!
New lexans stood up to the task tonight better than the others!

Just realise the task in hand! Although building for UKG clearance, I'm living in Cyprus so absolutely no local TK help! (think I'll be the first out here)
Jealous of the guys able to through armor parties for a bit of help!

I would suggest starting a build thread, Mike.  That way, you can post photos of your white armor journey, and pics certainly help when you have a question.  It also helps you keep everything in one place for reference.  If you want to do it, here is a link to the right area  http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/80-anh-build-threads/

You could use the top shoulder bridge in photo. Bottom one looks better. The only thing is it might crack quicker then other one. Just slow down and take your time. It's a marathon not a sprint. You doing your best makes Us look our best! Good Luck Future Trooper!

When trimming the drop boxes, trim the outer parts first (I make mine 15mm thick) then put the inner parts inside them the same way up and draw a trim line all the way around. I cut inside this line a good 2mm so that they will sit flush inside the outer part. Make sure you get the elastic straps riveted to the inner parts before you glue them together if you are using rivets. Better to leave gluing the drop boxes together until you have assembled your belt.