ANH stunt HDPE replica helmet

deadvision

I picked up a HDPE helmet kit that I will be completed as a Stunt version.

This is a prop I am using for display, and as a little for fun project. I plan on completing it in the same manner and style the originals were. Hope to have it finished within the next few weeks or so. If there is a better space for this thread feel free to move it. 4b308d8c35752e9bd311077d09ffdddc.jpg0d57acc5f54d5ff91c3f16c680d66068.jpg97ebfd40694e7bc790d28bda2b947e99.jpg

Day One progress. Helmet roughly trimmed out and fitted together. One ear fitted and applied. I'm taking care to be a little rushed and sloppy to get the best replica effect. The brow trim is not flush or even on purpose.700f1a83544a5e28f73afc7d04c0b528.jpg3060bad4d5735d08714b58f2086351db.jpga47890aea1b5bfade75e0fcc9efc2d0e.jpgbc4df941adbe91b4b0f812a56e864c90.jpg0e11f2bc4d5538146f4d0d01adfb6706.jpg

• Like 2

You need to remove more material around ears, too thick especially on round section, also frown holes need to be bigger.

Frown is not finished yet. Got tired of filing.

Definitely see what your saying about the ear. I may go back and trim them if it bothers me after I get the second ear on there. Thanks for the tips though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

You really should have removed the ear caps first before spraying the red oxide primer. The originals were primed and undercoated white before the ear caps were added, so no red primer ever touched the ears. Just an FYI :)

I figured they were painted with the ears on because of the hdpe gaps seen on many of the originals. So I guess I just kind of made that assumption. 11a873cb236fc6d01bbff031cd28ef2d.jpg

Nope. That's where the top coat wasn't applied and the undercoat came off. Look closely, you can see traces of red and white where the ear caps were but has flaked off. The thicker topcoat stayed on and would have been applied to the ear caps.

To back up what I am saying, look closely at this photo of the original helmets outside Shepperton Design Studio from 1976. It clearly shows the helmets without the ear caps are all white, including the rivets, and the helmets with ear caps fitted have unpainted screws that tells you they are unpainted white ABS. This is how they were sent to Elstree before the top coat and finishing details were painted :)

13.jpg

original-stormtrooper-helmets-in-street-

Edited by troopermaster
  • Like 2

To back up what I am saying, look closely at this photo of the original helmets outside Shepperton Design Studio from 1976. It clearly shows the helmets without the ear caps are all white, including the rivets, and the helmets with ear caps fitted have unpainted screws that tells you they are unpainted white ABS. This is how they were sent to Elstree before the top coat and finishing details were painted :)

13.jpg

original-stormtrooper-helmets-in-street-

Yeah I see it now. Well a bit too late for that now! Didn't mean to debate or question your knowledge. Just went off my best assumptions.

It's nice you took the time to post that Paul. I never read that info before and clearly learnt something new.

Issac, normally for the chipping effect you plan than ahead of the painting by applying liquid masking (or toothpaste, etc...) where you want the paint to flake off. However HDPE being very difficult to adhere to, I guess just handling the helmet might be enough to chip the paint.

• Like 1

This is a really cool build! Thanks for sharing!

Careful with the temperature of where you store it... I've heard that HDPE and HIPS don't react too nicely with hot weather/direct sunlight ;)