the long journey to TK-HWT

good day dear all,

my first costume was approved in early 2016, which was TK (SDS armor) 

few month later, I saw a TI kit with good price on 501st forum, so I built a TI,

and since I have bought the flight suit, I decided to use it well, so after I saw a 

Gunner helmet with good price and little shipping fee, I built an IG.

however, there was a seed in my heart which was keep growing, until now, its time to 

start building a HWT (together with major modification of SDS strapping system...)

backpack build:

it took me a long way to acquire  necessary material with acceptable spec, especially the cylinder at the side of pack,

cannot find water pipe retailer here...

1. 16387855_10211633684581914_3135640910645

I've stolen my daughter's watering can to build this, felt so guilty so I boutht her other toys

2.16427548_10211670048971001_7481805716098

step by step... there is still something wrong with this setting. 

3. 16473698_10211670049011002_6147396483967

I think this should be ok, but last minute I decide to change my design....

4. 16508196_10211687091157045_6556328142712

before changing design, something is missing....

5. 16603093_10211720735958144_7952473318703

this is final look of my backpack... 

time to submit my photo to 501st XO ... 

1. front 

32698697452_8ca26959e5_z_d.jpg

2. right - next time have to take care of my pauldron position

32009351054_e791b1ca51_z_d.jpg

3. right - hand raised

32811414356_189cc7fde1_z_d.jpg

4. back

32471406840_69cd1f8281_z_d.jpg

5. left

32811413876_95a4e3d342_z_d.jpg

6. left - arm raised

32009350584_fb33864899_z_d.jpg

shoot, I only found this sentence after submission of photo:

Note: The Thermal Detonator is omitted from this costume when a pack is worn.

7. with DLT-19

32698697752_57c488445c_z_d.jpg

8. ready for duty .... although still grounded due to kids are too small now...

32852399965_2cdf5b521d_z_d.jpg

9. DLT 19 T track

32698697772_c5bcb9dc5c_z_d.jpg

10. DLT-19 ejection port cover

32852399935_76e5b0f237_z_d.jpg 

11. DLT-19 small disk at left side

32471408300_3b4efcdcca_z_d.jpg

12. SDS armor mod- 1

32852400105_1e74692898_z_d.jpg

13. SDS armor mod -2

32852400145_685f19c122_z_d.jpg

14. SDS armor mod 3

32037630653_58d2494bbf_z_d.jpg

15. new glove with latex hand-guard

32471408190_c7ea168c2b_z_d.jpg

thanks for your time.

Gilbert Lai 

TK/TI/IC/IG - 20904

Edited by Gilbert Lai
  • Like 1

Gilbert,

Looking good.

I would like to point out a few things to you.  I am not sure who your GML is that will be reviewing your application, so I cannot speak for him.

As you know, we strive toward uniformity in the HWT packs, that being said, you will most likely need to remove the Imperial COG from the radio.  It does look cool, but should not be on there for approval.

I understand your location makes it difficult to obtain the proper materials, but the sizing of the cones and size tube might be a little off.  But again, this is up to your GML.

Your armor looks really good.  You might want to think about getting it a little dirty (since we are Heavy Weapons troopers that have seen battle).  I have used black washable paint.  That way, all you have to do is rub it off, when you want to be shiny again.  It is not a requirement to weather your armor and pack for the first level, but if you hope to go to EIB or Centurion, you will need to add the battle damage (i.e. weathering).

Glad to see you removed your drop boxes from your ammo belt.

Again, these are only my observations.  Good luck and it will be great to have another Heavy Weapons Trooper on-board.

• Like 2

Gilbert,

Looking good.

I would like to point out a few things to you.  I am not sure who your GML is that will be reviewing your application, so I cannot speak for him.

As you know, we strive toward uniformity in the HWT packs, that being said, you will most likely need to remove the Imperial COG from the radio.  It does look cool, but should not be on there for approval.

I understand your location makes it difficult to obtain the proper materials, but the sizing of the cones and size tube might be a little off.  But again, this is up to your GML.

Your armor looks really good.  You might want to think about getting it a little dirty (since we are Heavy Weapons troopers that have seen battle).  I have used black washable paint.  That way, all you have to do is rub it off, when you want to be shiny again.  It is not a requirement to weather your armor and pack for the first level, but if you hope to go to EIB or Centurion, you will need to add the battle damage (i.e. weathering).

Again, these are only my observations.  Good luck and it will be great to have another Heavy Weapons Trooper on-board.

thank you for your valuable comment Shawn, 

in fact, I am still searching perfect materials to make my pack looks better.

as for weathering, I have prepared black / brown / gray water colors to standby, will revert

once I decided which planet / damage this armor has been gone through. 

cheers and will revert latest photo here soon  :smiley-sw013:

• Like 1

thank you for your valuable comment Shawn, 

in fact, I am still searching perfect materials to make my pack looks better.

as for weathering, I have prepared black / brown / gray water colors to standby, will revert

once I decided which planet / damage this armor has been gone through. 

cheers and will revert latest photo here soon  :smiley-sw013:

If you have any questions along the way, please ask.

• Like 1

I would steer clear of using brown colors, Gilbert.  HWTs are done in black, and you might end up looking more like a Sandie!

• Like 2

Gilbert,

Looking good.

HWT backpack mark 2 

32907351046_eebf5849d1_z_d.jpg

I know I should remove the Imperial COG, but I love it so much, just let me keep it for awhile  :56pullhair:

• 1 month later...

The tube looks a lot better, but if your GML follows the CRL you will definitely need to remove the cog and decal at the bottom.  Also please note that you will need two MP40 ammo packs, one for each side.

Ammo Pouches
For 501st approval:
  • Belt Pouches
    • Two three slot German MP-40 style ammo pouches shall be worn on the hips with one on each side of the belt.
Ammo Pouches
For 501st approval:
  • Belt Pouches
    • Two three slot German MP-40 style ammo pouches shall be worn on the hips with one on each side of the belt.
  • Like 1

For the pack. I ended up using cardboard poster board and cutting my boxes to size and shape using a utility knife and T-square. then glueing them togeather like those paper dice we all made in school as a kid. For the seams I used spot putty and glazing powder to fill in gaps in the seams.  I took me 2 backpack builds to get one I was happy with so do not worry about the small stuff. I am sure you will have it figured out in the end. Its good to see another person going HWT!

• Like 1

The tube looks a lot better, but if your GML follows the CRL you will definitely need to remove the cog and decal at the bottom.  Also please note that you will need two MP40 ammo packs, one for each side.

Ammo Pouches

For 501st approval:

• Belt Pouches
Ammo Pouches

For 501st approval:

• Belt Pouches

thank you for the comment, 

I have one MP40 Ammo pouch at right hip, another one is on the way (will also remove the number at upper-right box before EIB application))

image9_zpssewb5nge.jpg

will retake all photo and double confirm all in order before my next move  :jc_doublethumbup:

For the pack. I ended up using cardboard poster board and cutting my boxes to size and shape using a utility knife and T-square. then glueing them togeather like those paper dice we all made in school as a kid. For the seams I used spot putty and glazing powder to fill in gaps in the seams.  I took me 2 backpack builds to get one I was happy with so do not worry about the small stuff. I am sure you will have it figured out in the end. Its good to see another person going HWT!

thanks for sharing, 

most of my materials are from scratch, so size maybe a little off  :P

material list: 

base : Amazon Garage boss oil drilling pan 

upper-left box : 1 dollar shop Cosmetic box 

upper-left box greeblies : 1 dollar shop 3d sticker

middle cylinder : 1 dollar shop chopstick holder 

upper-right box : unwanted Casio watch box

lower-left box : unwanted tool box 

lower-left box greeblie : unwanted laptop rubber stand

middle-right box : ice cream box

lower-right cone : unwanted plastic cup + 1 dollar shop plastic cup 

antenna tube : pool noodle with special treatment

antenna cap (up and down : cotton swabs holder  

Antenna: stolen from 4g router at home

TK Shoulder strap : made by myself using epoxy putty

the good thing is these boxes are still usable, I can use this backpack to store my patches / coins while not trooping. 

while trooping I can carry extra Velcro / heat glue gun...etc for emergency repair 

• 2 years later...

rebuilt my scratch build HWT pack, 

- replaced all face plate with 3d printed parts, thanks to KM PROPS

- screw on 2 elastic straps at side of HWT pack so can carry extra short weapon when trooping

- later will update my antenna setting so it won't look like free-WIFI or digital TV signal sharing station.

48184934402_bfce794cd5_z_d.jpg

48184934192_3c03ff6089_z_d.jpg

48184933887_af7bd20d55_z_d.jpg

48184872936_5242b47cf4_z_d.jpg

Looks a LOT better, Gilbert! For basic approval, although it looks cool you can't have any attachments to the pack

As per the CRL for basic:  

Backpack must be styled after and closely matches the backpack seen in the Battlefront series as seen in reference photos. No video monitors, extra greeblies. lights of any sort or attachments not seen in photos can be visible

This includes weapons and the antenna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justjoseph63 said:

Looks a LOT better, Gilbert! For basic approval, although it looks cool you can't have any attachments to the pack

As per the CRL for basic:  

Backpack must be styled after and closely matches the backpack seen in the Battlefront series as seen in reference photos. No video monitors, extra greeblies. lights of any sort or attachments not seen in photos can be visible

This includes weapons and the antenna.

thanks mate, my HWT was approved in 2017 :duim:, but I will inform the new HWT applicant in our garrison

not to attach anything extra on the backpack while taking approval photo.