Making a "real" armor

I sat at home thinking a lot about this yesterday. The armors are nothing but thin plastic shells, and the backsides/insides of most of them doesen't "look the part". In the movies they didn't need to think about that anyway. But as I've seen tons and tons of pictures of the insides of peoples helmets being made to look "functional", what about doing the same with the entire armor?

My idea is at an early stage to say the least, but what I'm thinking is maybe lining the insides of all the armor pieces with something like a thin layer of foamrubber (or what ever else will work) sewn into black fabric or some rubbertype and made so you can just velcro it to the inside (thus still making all snaps, straps and stuff still accessible).

I gather that the lining has to be fairly thin to still make the armor look right and wearable, maybe something like 3-5mm in thickness or something. I think that this is something that can be placed on the insides of all the armorpieces making the whole deal more convincing up close when trooping.

This is still just a thought in my head, but something I'll want to experiment with when I build my armor.

Any thoughts?!

nice idea for a display piece, but if the entire thing was lined with rubber you're likley to cook when trooping in it.

Yeah maybe, I have to research what type of material that can be used for this, if it is to be done. And, as long as it´s just velcroed to the parts, it´s easily removable if it doesen´t work.

you could try thin wetsuit material, the ones that are used in warmer climates to keep you cool, but that may cost a bit.

be sure to keep us posted as this sounds like a nice idea.

I have come across that thought myself a few times. No body flame me for this, but. I can appreciate wanting to be 'movie accurate', but I always thought it would be cooler to make it technologically more accurate (as I thought of it as a kid first watching the movies). I'm sure Lucas would have done it better if he had the technology back in the day to make it look a little more 'substantial' than zip-tying the straps on and using electrical tape for quick fixes (i.e. he now used CGI in the I, II & III).

Once I get my armour complete, I will be looking at ways to make it a little more substantial, the padding is a good idea, but as it was mentioned heat would be an issue. Seeing as I probably won't be trooping in it (Halloween and the occassional romp around the house :huh: ), this may work better for me. And in Canada it can get pretty cold.. :)

Good idea!

DD.

I know heat always will be an issue, so it´s probably gonna be a bit of a trial and error task. I´m used to wearing way to much gear in the heat in the army, so it might be an individual problem how hot it gets. I don´t know yet, so I´ll just have to find that out:-)

As for movie-accurate contra technologically accurate, my thought is trying to achieve the latter whithout compromising to much of the other.

It´s still gotta look the full part moviewise as well. :-)

P.S! Norway has a tendency to get rather cold every once in a while as well. :-P

BTW, thanks for input and ideas. I need ´em, so keep them coming.

Ya know... I had these thoughts as well.

I was leaning to a system to make it look good on the inside, and not move AT ALL! :D

The wetsuit idea has me thinking... Hmmm... Space is an issue, as well as wearability. Heat would limit that.

I was thinking auto underliner. The problem with that would be weight and destroying your spandex.

Is a smooth spray rubber like stuff available? That would look awesome, and you could do wicked cool stuff like spray in logos, numbers and such.

Coating the insides of each piece would look the biz. Snaps and a bad A$$ straping system, one that is very hard to see would finish it. A well thought out bucket finishing could set the thing to new levels.

I am going to mod my TM to accept the sound and such inside hidden well, not exposed at all. I am also thinking about a camel back mod in the backplate. All wires and hoses to be very well routed and hidden from view. So, functional and good looking.

I dont want to see the white on the insides of my armor. I think it looks a little off.

Again, for the movie, there worn for a couple of shots. But we wear and display ours for a lifetime. I think making a good looking set is totaly in the realm of reality.

I wont so anything to stop me from Elite, but thats a goal for me. So Ill be flexing my ideas as soon as the plastic fariy drops some armor!

My thoughts around how thick the liner would be is to think in the bounds of kevlar vests, which I use often, it gets hot, but not unbearable. But the overall thickness in the kevlar is usually around 3-5mm, so a combined thickness (including the ABS) up to max 5mm might work.

There are probably a million fancy ways to do this mod, and likely most of them will be unpractical, too warm or not possible to make thin enough etc.

I´ll at least be working on this through the year and seeing what I can come up with, I´m in no hurry as this is my endgoal for the completely finished version I want. But let´s keep the ideas coming and maybe a "standard" for what works will be set and people looking to do this mod gets reference and help when it´s their turn:-)

About smooth sprayrubber, I don´t know. But if some exists, it might be worth while checking out though.

BTW I saw a guy on the bay selling 2mm thick wetsuit/neoprene material in lengths. That´s at least thin enough for this mod....I think... :-P

There is spray on rubber underliner for trucks/cars that is smooth and flexible. I will look for it and report back.

EDIT

Found some -  ------------

Have something like this under my Jeep and it is really tough

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

How does it work? Do you just do one and one coat to make it thicker then?

If you make this a couple millimeters will it get heavy?

That's right add one coat and let cure and then another.

I'm not sure about the weight since it is attached to my jeep but I would guess that it wouldn't be that bad plus it would strengthen the plastic

It all comes down to function vs. fashion (and I guess you can add accuracy). If you go the way of cannon, the armour is completely self-contained (i.e. air-tight - sealed neck seal etc). With Phase I & II CT armour, they go more in-depth about the different gadgets contained within the suit. With Stormie armour, not so much (other than the bucket dissection).

The helmet is a given (that it should be the heavily modded), I have my sound system ready to be installed once I finish the paint job. Fans are another story, as I don't know if they will really fit in my MRCE. What I would really like to rig is a radio system incorporated into the ears and I know some people are working on that.

The lining is a good idea for the armour itself; either finding some type of white or black foam/insulation/padded cloth. Would add to the comfort and cut down on the clank, clank noise when walking around (unless you like that). Here in Canada (and probably the US) there is this stuff called 'Great Stuff', which is an insulating spray foam which might be good. It sticks to anything and it expands to about 3x or 4x its original size. You would just need to cut it down to the desired depth and paint it, but could prove a good start.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread...

Cheers.

DD.

Thanks for the input:)

It seems I´ll be in the market for a good variety of stuff to try out this coming year. :-P

actually, me and a buddy are currently working on pulling foam insides for the buckets that kinda look liek the inserts from the visual dictionary. and you cant paint them too.

mayeb pull some this weekend. will post pics if i do.

Nice!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of that!

The problem with foam is that in say ten years it turns to dust, so it's vital to attach it in a way that it's removable.

I know, hence the thought of a velcro frame for it.

Why not just a textured black spray paint? Something that looks like "more" without really being anything more. I mean this is a highly technological armor... so while I agree the insides wouldn't look like they do (just reverse of the outside in white) they would (or could) look like something we don't think of... just black "textured" paint would be cool I think.

Yeah, that might work. My initial thought was to at least make something that had a "thickness" to it, but without being in the way in forms how the armor sits on your body, and not showing outside the edges of the armorpieces.

ATM I'm leaning a bit towards the neoprene/wetsuit 2mm solution. But I fear it might get a little sweaty and make you feel way to sexy for ones own good...I don't know:)

• 1 month later...