FOTK Re-Build (Jimi V3)

HansDC

I got an FOTK kit from Jimiroquai over at RPF in the middle of the year. Rushed to get it done to get approved before Celebration Europe but missed a few details which I addressed and got approved after my European holiday. I initially thought I could get away with the kit just the way it was and without doing any cutting. It was baggy without the gaskets and I thought once I got my gaskets, it would all fit well.

But after the first two troops, I realised that it was just too big especially on all the limbs. I was 'clunking' around when I had it on and just felt wrong. Felt like one of those bad Iron-Man costumes at the cons where it just looks too big and uncomfortable. 100% for effort, but just built and fitted wrong.  

Anyways, I decided to bite the bullet and rebuild all the arm and leg parts - so shin, thighs, biceps and forearms. I also pulled apart my (FN) gaskets and had a go at making them fit me better. Just like the armour it was too baggy. 

This was the photo that made me decide to go ahead with the mod. The bicep especially. Cool pic, but every time I look at it I cringe a little cos I can actually feel where its wrong when I look at it.

rwCpk1.jpg

And here is an approval shot....
hINg6u.jpg

You can see in this shot how big the thighs are as well. The gap sticking out under the buttplate....
TreetA.jpg

Lets start with the dreaded cuts....
wDdeFK.jpg

iSak3a.jpg

OYKtnh.jpg

X6oKsa.jpg

I first thought I only had to cut one side of the forearm and rejoin when I had it measured. But because they have symmetrical ridges on both sides, I had to cut them into two pieces and reattach them....

MlhsEs.jpg

r71wNh.jpg

After some sanding and cleaning up some rough bits...I measured best I could by myself in the mirror...

NrrXyU.jpg

Then it was on to cutting some ABS strips out to use as joiners. Made sure I sanded the areas that would be glued.

a2t3cU.jpg

1WejKw.jpg

jRrd7E.jpg

NLtNT1.jpg

HOZZqz.jpg

F8VXj6.jpg

gbN5iY.jpg

gJ2mbQ.jpg

gzngry.jpg

6oyRKF.jpg

09kEuE.jpg

Once that was done, it was on to some bog action. I use APOXIE SCULPT. I found it is good to work with and not as messy or smelly as most others. I also have a couple tubes of TAMIYA plastic model putty for all the pin holes...

i9bvkj.jpg

M9K20M.jpg

Learned from past mistakes that Im pretty messy with the stuff, so best to tape off a border to prevent having to take off excess putty. I probably did four or five rounds of - putty, dry sand, wet sand, primer - repeat. I think I had to tell myself that it would have to do because each time I gave it a coat of primer, I would knit pick on some tiny flaw or a bubble I missed. 

fAMUjB.jpg

c0BUBf.jpg

xSJbsm.jpg

OszPSv.jpg

iHOVRO.jpg

zzJatE.jpg

iHjiYV.jpg

YfqNZC.jpg

Ou0rX7.jpg

vgTrQM.jpg

nWwkzl.jpg

cn3GQu.jpg

Y7jvbk.jpg

And after many many hours of doing something I hate (sanding)....on to the other thing that I don't enjoy so much - painting. Gave it many coats of gloss white and more than a couple of coats of clear. 
IVqZmA.jpg

And these are the completed gaskets....
JPjkeF.jpg

Before I modded my gaskets, I could never keep the knees up. Whenever I bent my knees, I heard the tearing sound of velcro and the knee gaskets would slip off the thigh piece ever so slowly. I changed the velcro from front on to the sides....that way they don't suffer so much from the bending of the knees. I can now walk much easier and nothing slips. I hope you can see where I have placed the velcro bits....
o7T7EX.jpg

And finally here are some side 2 side shots for comparison. I dunno if it looks all that much different at a glance, but it does feel like my two other costumes now. I can walk, run, jump, climb stairs and pretty much do everything I can in my original TK and movie clone. 

JVW0YB.jpg

L09qfD.jpg

HmaM5o.jpg

It's still not 100%. My main blaster needs a repaint and Im trying to organise for some V4 knee pads as they are more contoured to the knee than the ones I have on. I might also shorten the shoulder bells as they are quite big compared to the screen shots.

Thanks for looking and I hope this helps anyone intending to mod Jim's armour. I don't claim to be a good builder, but I think I do ok for someone with no garage, average tools and limited knowledge of the fact. Any feedback would be welcome. Let me know what you think!

CHEERS TROOPERS! :)

Edited by HansDC
  • Like 2

Great work Hans, always nice to see members going the extra mile and making upgrades to their armor, a massive difference

• Like 1

Definitely worth the effort, looks so much better when you see those comparison shots. I might try the Velcro placement on the gaskets like you did. I have the same problem with them coming unattached when I bend my knees. Great work Hans!

• Like 1