Jaltrooper's ANH Stunt "Tall Guy / Newbie" AM 2.0 Build

Great News today! 

Armor is SHIPPED - tracking number landed in my inbox just a short while ago. 

Having bored everyone to tears with my "prep" stuff (hopefully helped someone)...the next post in my thread will be the BBB day! 

Funny how timing works. I have been working on a Kylo Ren Black series helmet and just did the first coat of primer...so I should be finished with that project right when my armor lands. 

Really excited about finally getting the armor and getting this build under way. I am confident I have done the right research and asked the right questions, so this is going to be fun. Looks like I have a couple of fellow AM builders on board...so it should be neat to get the builds underway together. 

See you all on BBB day!!

• Like 1

Getting all my stuff together as well. My boots and armor should arrive off the same truck. Good call on the undersuit from Academy sports you mentioned in another thread. I picked up a set of those at the store near my house. ;)

Good stuff! 

Hey Ryno! Looks like mine is "stuck" in your neck of the woods due to the "winter weather" (Memphis)...Arrrrgh!!!  Glad you got on the Academy deal! I also found some 40 gallon "Sterilite" Totes at Wal Mart for $20 (posted in the same threads). Looks like while it isn't as thick as the Huskys or Stanleys...it has plenty of room for a full set of TK gear and the wheels are bigger with steel axles. so I think that'll be the one I go with...just to get started. 

Anyway...while I've been waiting...I did a "Black Series" mod for a Kylo Ren Helmet...Just thought I would show everyone the finished product. My ultimate goal is to have 2 Trooper costumes (seriously considering the new "Death Trooper" (due to being 6'2") along with my TK...doing the Kylo Ren...and then going to go for a Obi-Wan as well. Want to be able to fill "trooping gaps" where needing for my local garrison. So why not, huh?

Here's my helmet...let me know your thoughts! See you on (when  it gets here!!!) BBB day!

20170107_094239_zpskpcfbdf4.jpg

My armor is in Memphis too! Maybe they can enjoy some BBQ together! :P

I already have that very same tote which I use for my Imperial Gunner/Crewman/Reserve TIE pilot. It is especially handy if you have a smaller car. It fits in the trunk of my larger sedan, but only in the back seat of my smaller one. Just don't sit on it. I cracked my lid! ;)

Also, nice helmet! Kylo is a good choice. You may want to do that one next (if you don't already have a bunch of Kylos' running around) so you can have a soft costume alternative when not feeling like armoring up. Another option if you want a RL costume and another trooper is the Clone Trooper (standard clone or any of the individual variants like Rex, Boss, Cody, etc.) which is dual approvable. Wear one costume and counts towards both clubs! ;)

Edited by RynoHawk

Thanks Ksunole! That'll be much appreciated! Just a couple days away from getting my trimming gloves on and starting to get my trim on! Ordered a couple of items from Trooper bay this morning...but still don;t have TD Clips...may have to make my own. 

Great Idea, Ryno. I don;t think we have many Clone Troopers in the Alabama Garrison...I know we have some HWT and Sandtroopers. Anything I can do to help fill in the gaps...plus, I do like the look of the Clones (just not as much as the classic TK!). We'll see. I am working on learning to solder and do electronics also. Figure if one is going to get into the hobby...dive right in. 

Have a blessed Sunday everyone!

Edited by Jaltrooper
  • Like 1

I think UKwrath sells TD clips. Have you checked the continuous sales section?

Good luck on the build :)

Sent from my DH77 using Tapatalk

It's very easy to build the clips if you have access to a vice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked with him...he said he was out at the moment and would have some maybe around the 15th or so. So I have a bead on some...just don't have them yet. I can probably make them. 

So...I have been battling pneumonia for about a week...so I get home last night (still working), to this:

20170110_181915_zpsrtqnhtho.jpg

20170110_182213_zpslvnbcffa.jpg

and...BOOM!!!

20170110_191008_zpstdjsufjr.jpg

Having not felt the best...it was still hard to get excited, just because I am a little sick. I was thrilled at how neatly the armor was wrapped and packed in the box. 

I am looking forward to going ahead and getting to work so I can get the build and the fitting underway. I'm going to do some prelim research and decide how I want to start the build and then...dive in with both feet to get it done. 

I am really looking forward to the finished product, but I know it is more of a marathon and exercise in patience. With my being so thin, I think the fitting challenge will be to evenly trim areas needed to get a proper fit. So I'll do some work on that tonight. 

Here we go, folks! Time to get an actual build thread underway!!!

• Like 1

After staring at the kit for a couple hours...thinking "where am I going to start?"...I decided on the Bucket. My thought is if I can get this right, right out of the gate...then the rest should fall evenly into place.

Drilled pilot holes, then exacto'd the teeth out. 

20170111_190431_zpsx4ukoghc.jpg

Doing some recon on the sides and how to be sure I get it lined up correctly. looks like I'll have to trim Here to get the look of the trim / trap where it needs to be. 

20170111_193556_zpsck97rq0u.jpg

So...here we go...waste not want not.

Cool jumping in with both feet starting on the helmet! I want to build the helmet first, but am thinking on starting on something easy like the biceps, forearms, etc. to build up my confidence and skill. So far, I haven't started on anything. ;)

To be honest I didn't trim any of the helmet on my AM 2.0. Maybe I should have, but it's seems to have fit together without any trimming. Toughest part was getting the screw holes lined up.

Cool jumping in with both feet starting on the helmet! I want to build the helmet first, but am thinking on starting on something easy like the biceps, forearms, etc. to build up my confidence and skill. So far, I haven't started on anything. ;)

In my opinion, putting together the helmet and the armor are separate beasts. I put together the helmet first, but it didn't really prepare me for the majority of what armor building is (sizing, trimming, sizing, glueing).

I'd definitely start with the forearms when you begin the body armor.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'd love to see a pic of the helmet...I can get it close...the issue seems to be no room for the tube stripes. It is a toughy...I feel like I am having to "force" the cap n back in while keeping some gap to have enough room for the tubestripes.

I'd love to see a pic of the helmet...I can get it close...the issue seems to be no room for the tube stripes. It is a toughy...I feel like I am having to "force" the cap n back in while keeping some gap to have enough room for the tubestripes.

I can take one when I get home that is better and from the side.

Here is one of my niece wearing it.4d063a91e31334fe6cd1e651f23dde02.jpg

And one where I was trying to be artistic...3870d15cef74f1213cf1b21d0b925c35.jpg

Now that I look at it, I should probably tighten that ear up some.

Edited by Ksunole

Thanks K...I think I have it figured out now.<br><br>

I'll get my helmet build info started...but...I have to suspend my armor build. I have been battling pneumonia for about a week and a half. I lost over 12-16 pounds. May not seem like an issue for most...but for me...I am just to skinny to "fit" any armor pieces to this frame. When you go from "slim" @ 6'2 / 175-180 to 157 (look it up...not good), it is just too darn skinny. <br><br>

I'll get to work getting weight & muscle back on...but I need to do that before fitting anything. Really bothered by it...but nothing I could do.<br><br>

Will be back on it later. Sorry for the delay all.

So I did my Humbrol grey, cut out the frown and am posting for review...

Doing everything by hand-painting. If I have seen anything...it's that this is how it was done in ANH. Guess years being around sign-letterers helps. 

The Humbrol does well on the brush...for anyone nervous about painting...you put your brush down to the inside of where you want the line to end, then let the brush "fall" to the edge. "Turn" the brush off the line towards the inside. Also, with the grey...I am going to have the black "pinstripe edge" so on the grey...it doesn't have to be 100%. Using a fine pinstriping brush for that (all Humbrol brushes...recommend)...so it's just like using a pencil or pen...not super hard.

Right side frown:

20170114_102231_zpseicsujlr.jpg

Left side frown

20170114_102240_zpshsuu4zc3.jpg

Having looked at the ANH frown references...I am trying to decide if I want to paint the last spot on the right frown black...the left is so small...I saw some that were left like that in the screen frowns. So I may leave that one. Any input is appreciated.

Here are the traps, etc...doing the black pinstripes and verticals today.

Left:

20170114_102250_zpszyozlqfd.jpg

Right

20170114_102258_zpsddntks8t.jpg

I'll post the pinstripes later.

Just a couple of "to be sure" questions:<br><br>

1. Vocoder is the same Humbrol #21 black as on the traps / tears<br>

2. Mic Tips are a "flat black" white on the inside?<br><br>

Just want to be accurate. This is what I see...just looking for confirmation.<br><br>

Thanks all! Hopefully posting finished helmet and build / paint pics shortly.

Ok, 

So this is where my issue has been. One way or another...getting it corrected and buttoned up this evening. 

20170114_192231_zpsqgoz3cki.jpg

In order to keep the top traps lined up with the corner of the eyes and the tears, Center the helmet appropriately, This is the gap I get. 

No way around it. I need to "force" the ear cover on, keep the gap minimal, etc, etc. etc. 

The left side is fine, and the ear piece will fit just right. I "trimmed" off some of the excess (about 1/4") from the edge of the "cap n back" so the ear piece would fit properly (making sure to keep the shape as best I could)...and then I went ahead and got it riveted. 

20170115_205612_zpsr1q4wehd.jpg

I have not "cleaned up" my black striping yet...so please ignore (too many Mountain Dews when painting). 

So, this side is spot on. Just need to secure the ear piece by holding it up, drilling the holes and attaching the two (correct) screws. 

It is the other side I am vexed by. 

If anyone has any good tips on getting that gap closed...it would be a HUGE help. 

Thanks,

Jon