Best connection for TK thigh armor to front ab plate

Thanks for the info.  I have already built a 2" belt out of 2" nylon webbing and buckle.  Tonight I am going to create the loops and put 1 snap on each.  For the connection to the inner thigh, I will just put 1 snap about 1 inch down the front interior.  just have to remove the old ones.  I have about a 3 mile walk (Christmas Parade) coming up on 12/11.  So I need to make sure whatever I do works very well.

I would use more than one snap, personally.

Me too. I believe in insurance. If that one snap goes it's over. I can see you lean over for a fan and go to stand back up straight and a little bind on the thigh sliding back into position and snap! Sorry to go against the accuracy police but I have a strip of velcro below the snap because, that story was me! The original way is awesome but they didn't film 2,3,4 hours straight like we troop. So we don't get to say "cut" and fix a snap that came loose, like in the middle of say a 3 mile parade. If you want to go super accurate on the inside also. Well go for it. But I'm into backup protection like a second parachute would be. I've had ONE failure. Lesson learned. Either way do what you think works best for you.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Me too. I believe in insurance. If that one snap goes it's over. I can see you lean over for a fan and go to stand back up straight and a little bind on the thigh sliding back into position and snap! Sorry to go against the accuracy police but I have a strip of velcro below the snap because, that story was me! The original way is awesome but they didn't film 2,3,4 hours straight like we troop. So we don't get to say "cut" and fix a snap that came loose, like in the middle of say a 3 mile parade. If you want to go super accurate on the inside also. Well go for it. But I'm into backup protection like a second parachute would be. I've had ONE failure. Lesson learned. Either way do what you think works best for you.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I definitely need insurance. 2 snaps it is.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I definitely need insurance. 2 snaps it is.

Totally up to you, of course, but for me, I plan to use a 4x4 snap panel if I ever re-do my thigh straps.  Currently they're E6000'd directly to the plastic, as in the video, which has held strong through many troops, no issues whatsoever.  At some point I plan to make the elastic straps removeable, but I want to be REALLY sure it stays put just as well as the glue has been, though, since the thighs are definitely pieces that move around a lot as you walk.  Two snaps would be a bare minimum, for me.  As Randy noted, this is definitely a piece that you don't want to disconnect in the middle of a troop!  The velcro "extra insurance" is a touch I'll consider adding at the bottom, too.

I personally have zero interest in keeping internal screen-accuracy.  (I really despise the wire loop method used for the clamshell, at least for me!) I love snaps and really consider them to be the current state of the art, for internal rigging.  I only went with straight glue when I first made these because I was in a hurry, and I was really tired of setting snaps at that particular moment, LOL!  I figured I would just migrate to snaps later, if the glue doesn't seem like it'll be enough.  But who knew that method would end up working brilliantly?  As a result, that particular "upgrade" (snap installation) has moved WAY down on my list of planned armor tweaks.

I posted this back in 06. Since then, several others have posted about it, someone even turned it in to a business.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/293-howto-garter-for-thighs/?hl=%2Bthigh+%2Bgarter#entry3366

At first I fastened my thigh pieces to my ab, but they moved up and down too much and turned one way or the other. I found a good remedy for this.

----------

They just velcro to the inside of the thigh pieces, and they stay exactly where they should.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020