Udermeister's FX/JediRobe rescue/practice build

Udermeister

Hey all, been a member of the forum here for a good while but I haven't had the guts to start my build. I'm going for ANH stunt, and there's a good bit I've gotta do.

Before anyone flips out, I know my kit isn't great. I got it before I really knew about the 501st or the FISD, and if I had the funds I'd totally just buy a new, good kit. It's on my list, but I'm gonna try and get this one running for at least initial approval and build experience.

The kit was bought from a guy that knew less than me when I bought it, and he put most of it together without any real fitment or anything, and it was in pretty bad shape. The helmet, while not acceptable for CRL standards, is something I've put a lot of time into to try and make it as good as possible.

Anyway, on to the pics! Now, I've assembled the shins with butt joins and cover strips, but everything else needs to be pulled apart, cleaned up and reassembled.

40a270c0b4ba6421285603cb0d95a079.jpg

9b35d98e40e1748e339a52c19a8958cd.jpg

I'll be updating this as frequently as I have time and funds. Pretty sure I've got everything I need, and I have a mental list of things that need to be done but it's difficult to get it out and into this post.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated! I am aware of the EIB upgrades and I'm gonna do what I can with those.

Oh, and I've made a canvas belt, it's all rolled up next to the ab armor in the photo.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

This could be a good basis for a RO build!

Here's my old build thread

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/35382-Shhhh-a-quiet-fx-rebuild

Marc

RO? This is an acronym I've not heard yet, and I didn't see any mention of it in your thread. Can you explain?

Oh, great build too! :)

RO? This is an acronym I've not heard yet, and I didn't see any mention of it in your thread. Can you explain?

Oh, great build too! :)

Rogue One?
  • Like 1

So this weekend was super lazy and I didn't do much work on my armor. Mostly disassembling the bits that need to be redone and trying to clean years-old velcro adhesive off them.

Which brings up a good question: I have a can of Goof-Off, and that seems to work fairly well for the most part (and yes I've tested it and it's fine on the plastic) but I've been having a little trouble getting it to really cut through the glue boogers without a ton of elbow grease. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make the cleanup a bit easier?

I find myself having multiple goes at it, hitting it with the goof off, scrubbing, scraping, repeating. Takes around an hour to get the plastic back to a place where I can go ahead and get it ready for correct assembly...

What kind of glue is it (if you can identify it of course ;) )?

And you will need a new helmet to be approved a member as that FX helmets are no longer being accepted. 

Good luck! 

Oh I'm well aware that I'll need a new bucket, it was just a "proof of concept" to show myself I could do it. Plus I have a big ol' head lol.

The adhesive is whatever was on the velcro that initially came with the kit - I don't know exactly what it is, just that it's heavy duty velcro gunk. I've tried pretty much everything under the sun and the only things that have worked even somewhat reliably have been either butane (zippo fuel) and Goof Off. The butane seemed to be the easier fix, since the gunk would just kind of sluff off, but I bought the goof off and it works after multiple applications. 

The guy I bought it from years ago got it for just costuming purposes, and I remember him saying he'd only worn it a handful of times before stuffing it into storage. It's in baaaad shape, but I'm doing what I can with it. Nothing's broken, it was just assembled in the worst way possible. 

A couple of things may be worth addressing whist you have stripped the kit down.

1, replace the two part "tube" for the TD, also invert the "nipple" on there.

2, Separate the but from the kidney.

3. Look into replacing the ab button plates - if they haven't already been swapped out

A couple of things may be worth addressing whist you have stripped the kit down.

1, replace the two part "tube" for the TD, also invert the "nipple" on there.

2, Separate the but from the kidney.

3. Look into replacing the ab button plates - if they haven't already been swapped out

Thanks, CTID :) Already have those on my mental list. Spose I should write it all down and get it in here so we're all on the same page lol. I'll have to do that tonight! 

As far as the 2-part TD, I've actually thought about keeping it and doing like Pandatrooper did on his AM build here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/10434-pandatroopers-am-build-threadam/page-2#entry141112 but PVC isn't expensive so perhaps I'll go the replacement route. Inverting the little nipple though, I'm sure I can do that.

Separating the butt from the kidney is definitely something I'm going to do, I'm toying with cod separation as well from a mobility and bladder relief point of view.

I've been looking at replacing the buttons as well, since they are slightly larger than acceptable right? Is VaderDave still around and selling his replacements or is there a new sheriff in town?

Okay so, I've sat down and made (shamelessly stolen) a list of things I need/want to do, keeping in mind there are certain things I just can't make work (i.e. the helmet):

1. Forearms - Disassemble, clean, trim to fit, assemble with cover strips

2. Biceps - Disassemble, clean, trim to fit, assemble with cover strips

3. Calves/Shins (lower leg) - Pad left shin to stop sniper plate from cutting my kneecap off, add velcro to closure

4. Ab - Replace FX buttons with more accurate buttons, trim extra flange from cod, add rivet. Considering separation of cod from ab for ease of use.

5. Posterior - Separate from kidney, check shape

6. Strapping - Snap plates, nylon web, etc

7. Thighs - Clean, trim to fit, assemble with cover strips

8. Chest and Shoulders - Remove shoulder straps, clean, check fitment between chest and back, potential mod on bottom for better accuracy

9. Shoulder Bells - Trim to fit, strap

10. Thermal Detonator - Decide between 2-piece or PVC pipe, invert "nipple", TD clips

11. Belt - Canvas belt completed, add ammo belt/holster/drop boxes

12. Back Plate - Check fitment with chest

13. Kidney - Separate from posterior, trim to fit so no overlap between back and kidney

14. Fitment Alterations 

15. Reserved for additional details (new helmet, boots, etc)

Let me know if I've missed any basic details or anything, keeping in mind I know this is a crap suit and I'm really just doing this for experience and eventual membership at this point!

Edited by Udermeister
  • Like 1

Right, so I was cleaning the ancient adhesive off and came across some hard crap I had to scrape off. In the process, I had a little oops.

I slipped just the tiniest bit and ended up cutting a flap into the molding of the inner right thigh, where the overlap would go.

Now, I'm gonna be butt joining these anyway, but I had a minor heart attack of course. I'm sure I can fix it so it's not completely detrimental, but wooooffff...

8f5b9d5a975c7ffc699459cd65df7efe.jpg

Right, so I was cleaning the ancient adhesive off and came across some hard crap I had to scrape off. In the process, I had a little oops.

I slipped just the tiniest bit and ended up cutting a flap into the molding of the inner right thigh, where the overlap would go.

Now, I'm gonna be butt joining these anyway, but I had a minor heart attack of course. I'm sure I can fix it so it's not completely detrimental, but wooooffff...

8f5b9d5a975c7ffc699459cd65df7efe.jpg

Time to make some abs paste?

Marc

I hit the slice with a very careful application of CA glue last night, seemed to be holding strong before I left for work this morning. Most of that edge is gonna be removed and butt-joined, so I'm not terribly worried about it - just need to make sure to at least do an inner join across that section if not the whole thigh. Right on the edge is a very small hairline, but I figure nobody will notice that unless they're inappropriately close lol. Also, it's not nearly as gross looking now! Stupid velcro glue is about 99% gone.

• Like 1

Well, back at it tonight! I took apart the biceps and forearms for cleaning and snapped a couple photos so y'all can see what I'm working with:

b8821e1f5f50f5a8c556e19831af5e12.jpg

a8f3ced3bc56201ed9f56a4ede4eb547.jpg

a0c820b2e2405bb1ee5cfa0245994bbe.jpg

So I'll be hitting these bad boys with goof off, scraping, wiping, etc until they're clean enough to trim and assemble correctly!

Update on the thigh I sliced: got home from work and checked it out. CA glue seems to be holding still, and like I said earlier, I'll be covering it with butt joins so it should be really solid when all is said and done.

• Like 1

I think you are off to a good start. How tall are you? I really advise against cutting the cod as it's too easy then to get "happy trooper" syndrome and they weren't cut in the movie. I'm 6' and even shorter people almost never cut the cod.

I think you are off to a good start. How tall are you? I really advise against cutting the cod as it's too easy then to get "happy trooper" syndrome and they weren't cut in the movie. I'm 6' and even shorter people almost never cut the cod.

Thanks Paul!

I'm 6'1", about 220lbs. I was thinking I'd leave cutting the cod until after I've worn it a few times, see how everything sits. I probably won't though.

Edited by Udermeister

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got as much of the old adhesive off as I can, and I'm now working on assembly. Got a forearm gluing on one side right now, but I'm a little concerned it won't work the way it should.

I followed ukswrath's trim guide, and measured out 8mm from the return edge, but there isn't a whole hell of a lot for my clamps and magnets to grab on to.

The next forearm I'm going to trim less from the outside and more from the inside, leaving enough to clamp.

Here's a pic!

89cce37a3f3f55c15347c8c35598d995.jpg

Edited by Udermeister
  • Like 1

Well, I've got as much of the old adhesive off as I can, and I'm now working on assembly. Got a forearm gluing on one side right now, but I'm a little concerned it won't work the way it should.

I followed ukswrath's trim guide, and measured out 8mm from the return edge, but there isn't a whole hell of a lot for my clamps and magnets to grab on to.

The next forearm I'm going to trim less from the outside and more from the inside, leaving enough to clamp.

Here's a pic!

89cce37a3f3f55c15347c8c35598d995.jpg

Are you using internal cover strips? If not, that will help re-enforce the joint.

Marc

Are you using internal cover strips? If not, that will help re-enforce the joint.

Marc

I didn't when I took that picture, but then I remembered that the internal strips worked really well on my shins. So now I'm doing them haha.

SURPRISE BICEPS!

83d2c64fb30e14239248ae5b5971d297.jpg

• Like 1

I finished the biceps and forearms yesterday, starting on the thighs today.

2cec73ffc113c7d2ea78e2a7085196a0.jpg

As I get closer and closer to finishing the gluing of bits, I'm thinking about strapping. I've seen some great strapping tutorials on the board, using the snap system, but I can't for the life of me find them now. Is there a definitive "holy crap yes do it this way" thread, listing the widths and types of elastic/webbing that could be linked for ease?

Updated list of things:

1. Forearms - Done

2. Biceps - Done

3. Calves/Shins (lower leg) - Pad left shin to stop sniper plate from going under my kneecap

4. Ab - Replace FX buttons with more accurate buttons (Considering skipping this step though, at least for now.) trim extra flange from cod, add rivet.

5. Posterior - Separate from kidney, check shape

6. Strapping - Snap plates, nylon web, etc - gotta do this!

7. Thighs - Trim to fit, assemble with cover strips (this is today's project)

8. Chest and Shoulders - Check fitment between chest and back, potential mod on bottom for better accuracy

9. Shoulder Bells - Trim to fit, strap

10. Thermal Detonator - Decide between 2-piece or PVC pipe, invert "nipple", TD clips (also today probably)

11. Belt - Canvas belt completed, add ammo belt/holster/drop boxes, how to snap ammo belt to canvas/make snap covers?

12. Back Plate - Check fitment with chest

13. Kidney - Separate from posterior, trim to fit so no overlap between back and kidney

14. Fitment Alterations

15. Reserved for additional details (new helmet, boots, etc)

Another question: Is there somewhere that shows how the FX butt should be trimmed? I've seen other kits look very angular and streamlined, and I'm curious if this is a thing I should worry about.

Edited by Udermeister